Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken down :-(

SO8

Broken down :-(

Post by SO8 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:45 pm

My 35iS is lovely ... but has packed up !

1/2 way to coast and a massive misfire. Limp mode. Stopped, restarted and OK until I try to put the car under load then limp mode again.

I have managed to get it home but for such a lovely car I am not having a lot of luck !

BMW have so far been out to check the coolant smell - which was down to the garage not screwing the expansion tank cap up properly. It is booked in for Thursday with a leak and now looks like it may have to go in sooner !!

I phoned BMW at 3pm. They have said their man will not be getting here until 6.50pm ! I was not impressed.

Constant speed and not much acceleration no issue. Moderate right foot and misfire again + engine management light.

Ideas ?? I immediately thought HPFP or injectors but what about plug ? Does this have coil packs ?
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Broken down :-(

Post by Stark » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Sounds like injectors.....mine went......went to dealer and they said it was fine, I put my foot down and on it came again.

Get it to the dealer ASAP mate, or better still breakdown and get a courtesy car.

You'll get something decent from enterprise

SO8

Post by SO8 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Stark wrote:Sounds like injectors.....mine went......went to dealer and they said it was fine, I put my foot down and on it came again.

Get it to the dealer ASAP mate, or better still breakdown and get a courtesy car.

You'll get something decent from enterprise
BMW assist will recover tomorrow morning if he can't repair tonight. They have already said they will sort me a car if they recover.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:22 pm

With my HPFP I had rough idle and EML on after startup. Also had some really bad misfires when using launch control for the first time.

If your car idles smoothly then maybe it's something other than the pump.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:16 pm

BMW man here now ...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 pm

SO8 wrote:
BMW assist will recover tomorrow morning if he can't repair tonight. They have already said they will sort me a car if they recover.
They have to provide you with a car if it's not driveable, they are doing you no favours.

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Blimey you aren't having much luck with that car. Hope it all gets sorted soon.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Well, BMW assist man did his checks and found the misfire was cylinder 4. He suspects a coil pack as when not under load car running as smooth as silk. He said it was not the HPFP and said an injector would not run ok then stop like this.

He also found the cruise control was faulty (it was working earlier) but thinks this fault code may be linked to the misfire. In addition he found a humidity sensor for the roof was defective. He think this may be linked to my leaking roof !

BMW mechanic said he couldn't take the car at all. BMW Assist said the man who came could collect it in the morning but the mechanic said that was not true, BMW Assist were wrong in saying this and he would arrange someone to collect it tonight which he did.

So, the car is in a pound to be delivered to BMW tomorrow. BMW Assist are going to ring me at 9am to sort a loan car. TBH I just want the car I bought 5 days ago fixed pronto !!

Here's hoping it is just a coil pack !

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:20 am

Sorry to hear that mate. 3 series on its way. Enterprise have to give you a BMW

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:28 am

I am off work so have not asked for a loan car at the moment - the BMW assist lady said the 48 hours they give you start from whenever you get the car + if the dealer can't get your car fixed in that time the dealer has to ask them to extend the loan - thus the dealers usually get on with repairing recovered vehicles asap !

I will wait for an update from the garage - I have rung and am awaiting a reply. The recovery company got it there before 9am this morning.

The salesman has yet to return my call or email from yesterday.

To say I am fed up is an understatement - a loose coolant cap resulting in a strong smell of antifreeze, a leak and now a breakdown which took 5 hours to recover is not what I was expecting in the 1st 5 days of ownership. That and the dealer not yet putting the small sum of £12500 into my bank account for me to cancel my personal loan ! This is my 5th BMW and I have never had any issues before :(

unhappy.com :x :(

envy

Post by envy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:15 am

thats sucks big time. the last thing you want when you buy a car is to have it break down and be a constant pain in your backside

hope you get it sorted soon

Marky Mark

Post by Marky Mark » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Not a good start to your new car :thumbsdown: Things can only get better :)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:57 pm

SO8 wrote:I am off work so have not asked for a loan car at the moment - the BMW assist lady said the 48 hours they give you start from whenever you get the car + if the dealer can't get your car fixed in that time the dealer has to ask them to extend the loan - thus the dealers usually get on with repairing recovered vehicles asap !

I will wait for an update from the garage - I have rung and am awaiting a reply. The recovery company got it there before 9am this morning.

To say I am fed up is an understatement - a loose coolant cap resulting in a strong smell of antifreeze, a leak and now a breakdown which took 5 hours to recover is not what I was expecting in the 1st 5 days of ownership. That and the dealer not yet putting the small sum of £12500 into my bank account for me to cancel my personal loan ! This is my 5th BMW and I have never had any issues before :(

You should have taken the loan car. Even if you don't use it as you say the dealer then only have 48 hours to fix before asking for an extension. As it stands they are under no pressure.

I had to contact bmw uk a few years ago as the dealer had my car and whilst drivable they would not return as they knew the issue (HVA's) but not the resolution. Bmw then stood in and provided a loan car for a week.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:14 pm

srhutch wrote:
SO8 wrote:I am off work so have not asked for a loan car at the moment - the BMW assist lady said the 48 hours they give you start from whenever you get the car + if the dealer can't get your car fixed in that time the dealer has to ask them to extend the loan - thus the dealers usually get on with repairing recovered vehicles asap !

You should have taken the loan car. Even if you don't use it as you say the dealer then only have 48 hours to fix before asking for an extension. As it stands they are under no pressure.

I had to contact bmw uk a few years ago as the dealer had my car and whilst drivable they would not return as they knew the issue (HVA's) but not the resolution. Bmw then stood in and provided a loan car for a week.
I know what you are saying but at the moment the car is being looked at in the workshop as I type this. If I even suspect they are going to push it to one side I will have the loan car.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:58 am

Just heard from the local Coopers dealer repairing my car - Misfire was down to coil pack and plug, now replaced and car tested / fine.

The leak hasn't recurred so I hope was a one off.

Hopefully I pick her up at 4pm nice and clean :)

I still haven't got the money out of them but getting the car back will be nice !