roof hydraulics too hot

Post Reply
huytonman
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by huytonman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:42 am

This warning message (or something very similar I was driving at the time) cropped up today when the roof was playing silly buggers. It gone through a phase of the clamshell not dropping down when closing and now its intermittantly complaining with the roof open, the button flashes red, the gong goes off and Occasionally the message roof not latched pops up but then they clear for a while then reappear. So I know there is an issue and Bryans helpful pdf has been read a few times but hot hydraulics is a new symptom, anybody else had this one?
thanks Keith

Online
User avatar
Pbondar
Member
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am
Location: Scottish Borders

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by Pbondar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Hello, at the risk of sounding like old wives tales...

One of the posters mentioend lubing the multitude of hinges and catches..

I thought it was mumbo jumbo, however I did get a can of PTFE WD40 type spray and gave all the hinges I could see a good spray using a cloth to stop the overspray..I needed to park the roof in about 3 positions to get to most of the hinges..

The net result is a small reduction in closing/opening times BUT a big reduction in the creaking and groaning from the system and a perceptible improvement in smoothness of operation..

On the one side hydraulic rams can overcome a lot of friction and generate a lot of force..however it seems that the sheer complexity of the job an overwhelm the system once the joints get dry..

For what its worth..
2012MY Z4 2.0i M Sport Auto Atacama Yellow fully loaded (almost)...

huytonman
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by huytonman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Pbondar wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm
Hello, at the risk of sounding like old wives tales...

One of the posters mentioend lubing the multitude of hinges and catches..

I thought it was mumbo jumbo, however I did get a can of PTFE WD40 type spray and gave all the hinges I could see a good spray using a cloth to stop the overspray..I needed to park the roof in about 3 positions to get to most of the hinges..

The net result is a small reduction in closing/opening times BUT a big reduction in the creaking and groaning from the system and a perceptible improvement in smoothness of operation..

On the one side hydraulic rams can overcome a lot of friction and generate a lot of force..however it seems that the sheer complexity of the job an overwhelm the system once the joints get dry..

For what its worth..
Its a good thought, I was condsidering lubing the joints over winter but given the latest errors Il get onto it asap, probably use lithium grease or something similar. thanks for the comments, appreciated
Keith

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5417
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by Smartbear » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi, I think overheating roof hydraulics are mentioned in the handbook if multiple operations are attempted in quick succession-it's not necessarily a fault.
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i which has apparently turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another
e85 3.0si-sold my trouble free car...

flybobbie
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 pm

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by flybobbie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Could it be the last part is not latching and the pump is continuously running to try and close and overheating.
I think it would take several cycles to overheat.

huytonman
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by huytonman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:40 pm

flybobbie wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm
Could it be the last part is not latching and the pump is continuously running to try and close and overheating.
I think it would take several cycles to overheat.
That is my thought too, the pump may actually be running even though no actuation is taking place; waiting for my Carly adaptor to turn up then I can check the error codes but looks like the warranty will be getting some exercise ..
Thanks Keith

User avatar
Dietcokeman
Member
Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Weston Turville Bucks or On another planet according to Mrs DCM.

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by Dietcokeman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:09 am

huytonman wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:40 pm
flybobbie wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm
Could it be the last part is not latching and the pump is continuously running to try and close and overheating.
I think it would take several cycles to overheat.
That is my thought too, the pump may actually be running even though no actuation is taking place; waiting for my Carly adaptor to turn up then I can check the error codes but looks like the warranty will be getting some exercise ..
Thanks Keith
Hi Keith, as above, this is my guess, sometimes I've seen this but normally it's linked with either the windows not raising after roof operation or the boot lid not being able to be opened normally when the roof is down. This can lead to the pump continuing to cycle after the boot lid closes back down but the micro switches ( one or the other on the boot lid circuit ) habe failed or is intermittent. The boot lid is down but it not correctly locked, the pump continues to run and overheat . Items 4 and 5 on the PDF are the likely culprits ( boot ring circuit ) When the boot closes the last part of the operation is the locks swivelling onto the lock pins, either switch failure will cause the incomplete operation, and as I say is normally associated with windows not raising or boot lid not being able to be opened . The other potential issue is the First switch I changed in my PDF, I have a spare of that switch if you need one .

I have Carly but this is unlikely to tell you what exactly is the issue, but your welcome to borrow mine or come and see if we can sort it for you .

huytonman
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by huytonman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks Bryan, 4 & 5 were on my hitlist from the original faulty behaviour, clam not always closing, but that seemed to have gone awol and was replaced by the opening fault, which was accompanied by the windows not raising so again looks like you are right about 4 & 5. Thanks for offering to look at it, i'll be in touch is I cant get a solution.
Keith

Online
mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by mcbutler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:02 pm

huytonman wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 pm
Pbondar wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm
Hello, at the risk of sounding like old wives tales...

One of the posters mentioend lubing the multitude of hinges and catches..

I thought it was mumbo jumbo, however I did get a can of PTFE WD40 type spray and gave all the hinges I could see a good spray using a cloth to stop the overspray..I needed to park the roof in about 3 positions to get to most of the hinges..

The net result is a small reduction in closing/opening times BUT a big reduction in the creaking and groaning from the system and a perceptible improvement in smoothness of operation..

On the one side hydraulic rams can overcome a lot of friction and generate a lot of force..however it seems that the sheer complexity of the job an overwhelm the system once the joints get dry..

For what its worth..
Its a good thought, I was condsidering lubing the joints over winter but given the latest errors Il get onto it asap, probably use lithium grease or something similar. thanks for the comments, appreciated
Keith
Hi I was the original poster of this info, I used a PTFE spray, like a WD40 but more Hi tech, a few days later i used a spray white lithium grease. All are avaIlable for around £5 a tin from B and Q. USE A SHEET TO PROTECT YOUR INTERIOR FROM OVERSPRAY....

User avatar
Dietcokeman
Member
Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Weston Turville Bucks or On another planet according to Mrs DCM.

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by Dietcokeman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:12 pm

huytonman wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 am
Thanks Bryan, 4 & 5 were on my hitlist from the original faulty behaviour, clam not always closing, but that seemed to have gone awol and was replaced by the opening fault, which was accompanied by the windows not raising so again looks like you are right about 4 & 5. Thanks for offering to look at it, i'll be in touch is I cant get a solution.
Keith
Yep clam not closing and windows not raising would definitely make me change 4 &5 mate . Only about 18 quid each, and about 2 hrs work tops , as I say happy to do it for you .

huytonman
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by huytonman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:30 pm

After discussing my roof issues with Bryan I ordered two microswitches and rather than experiment on fitting them myself arranged a visit to Bryan. Turned out that a hall sensor had failed and luckily Bryan had one spare so that together with one microswitch was fitted yesterday. It wasnt quite as straight forward as expected due to a ceased screw but thanks to some ingenuity from Bryan we sorted it all out. The roof is now working perfectly and now that ive been through the process I would be happy to do the work mysel next time if needed.
What more can I say other than its guys like Bryan who are willing to help out that makes the forum a great place to be a part of, my car is under warranty so in theory I could have had this done by a dealer but I doubt my local one would have the knowledge that Bryan has and im certain they would have had the car for more than the couple of hours that it took yesterday.
Thanks Bryan!!

User avatar
Dietcokeman
Member
Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 6:33 am
Location: Weston Turville Bucks or On another planet according to Mrs DCM.

roof hydraulics too hot

Post by Dietcokeman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 am

Not a problem at all Keith, always good to help a fellow watch enthusiast and a member with the right colour car with the right colour interior :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: willgill and 3 guests