Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

It's 296 cracking time

ruggedscot

It's 296 cracking time

Post by ruggedscot » Mon May 30, 2016 8:21 pm

I got my Z4 a couple of years ago now - a 2009 23i sdrive.

It had the 296 alloy wheels and it was after I bought it I found out that there was an issue with these wheels - the wheels crack - absolutely no give in the tyre wall so any pot holes or rough road places a lot of stress on the wheel and bingo they crack.

I ended up having to repalce the rear wheels on mine and junked the tyres to non run flats but the damage was done really ddint like driving on those wheels as felt aht they were going to crack at any minute. So I got a set of 18's off of ebay and yea they may be an inch smaller they still look okay on the car. And I have a little bit more confidence on our crap roads. So it now sports 293 wheels. I heard that the 296 are of a different design now and BMW seem to still be selling them on new Z4's but once bitten twice shy. not to happy with the lack of support form BMW over what is an inferior component.
2009 Z4 23Sdrive heated red leather satellite navigation

Japseroony

It's 296 cracking time

Post by Japseroony » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 am

I thought it was the 326's that cracked all the time?
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the front of the car,
OVERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car,
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the fence,
TORQUE is how far you take the fence with you.

matthurley

It's 296 cracking time

Post by matthurley » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:19 am

Japseroony wrote:I thought it was the 326's that cracked all the time?
There are members on here who have had 326's crack and 296's crack, depends on luck.
That said you're running a risk of cracking with any 19 with RFT
Z4 30i Sdrive Space Grey/ Coral Red