Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof fault - not found by dealer

matsmith749

Re: Roof fault - not found by dealer

Post by matsmith749 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Yeh I hear what you are saying - I'm certain that something will have been logged on the onboard computers somewhere also.

I've got some software & a cable coming next week - hopefully will be able to identify the fault myself & take that in to BMW to get it sorted.

Matt
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:25 am

That software and cable are useful.
When I finally got my copy working up came all the historical faults, including a failed rear bulb which I replaced, so I know the info. was reliable.
But couldn't find a way to reset my brake warning using that software.
As an alternative try an independent garage. They might log in and tell you for the price of a couple of pints, that's how I got my brake warning sorted.

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:46 am

matsmith749 wrote:Yeh I hear what you are saying - I'm certain that something will have been logged on the onboard computers somewhere also.

I've got some software & a cable coming next week - hopefully will be able to identify the fault myself & take that in to BMW to get it sorted.

Matt
Hi Matt, it sounds like your dealers are just plain lazy and need a poke in the eye to wake 'em up. You have my sympathies. Whereabouts in the country are you? I have experience of a very good independant with a "can do" attitude, but may well be miles away from you.

If you're going to do some hands on this may help. http://weblog.pac1.net/_Documents/14061 ... iption.pdf

It shows several schematics of the roof system including the location of all the hydraulics and microswitches (plus a lot of other good stuff).

Best of luck, Bob

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:59 pm

That document is really handy - thankyou :)
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:58 am

Looks like my software package is not supported on the e89 :(

I got a DCAN / KCAN cable (sure that is correct) but what is best software package to be using with it? INPA 5.06 looks like it doesn't support the e89 unfortunately.

Any suggestions?

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Pretty sure 5.0.6 does work with the E89. You may have been given a translated interface without the E89 headers on the main page. Try the E90 menus if you are just reading codes.

You could try downloading a fresh copy of BMW Standard Tools 2.12 and use that. I don't have a link to hand but search bimmerpost and you will find a few links.

Alternatively you can use a mobile app to read the codes. If you have an Android mobile you can use MHD Flasher to read the codes from your car for free. (You would need a £2 OTG cable to connect the USB DCAN cable to the phone).

If you have an iPhone you can use an ELM 327 v 2.1 WiFi adapter and the free version of "Carly for BMW" to scan codes.

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Apparently warranty work is not very lucrative for the dealers and I was once told that they don't get paid for the time to investigate and diagnose the fault. This all means that this so called 'premium' manufacturer doesn't put much effort into these sorts of problems. This is no excuse though for those who've paid through the nose for the diagnosis!

My first Z4 had an intermittent roof problem. They claimed they couldn't find the fault although the roof would fail at leat 2 times out of 3. They explained that it could be a micro switch but that BMW would not countenance a fix by trial and error - they had to identify specifically which micro switch was at fault before they were allowed to fix it under warranty.

As I climbed into the car I said "so when I put the roof down now it will work?" "Yes" they said confidently. It stalled half way and refused to move up or down! Huge embarrassment followed by a "we'll fix it, sir". "But you still don't know what the fault is" I said. "How come 5 minutes ago you couldn't fix it and now you can?" Anyway, it was sorted under warranty. Premium brand my arse!
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Baza

Post by Baza » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:33 pm

Yeah recognise the symptoms I had the same . The worry is you will be somewhere and the roof won,t go down or up. Mine was a micro switch which after replaced all was back to normal. If your in warranty keep pressing the dealer, if not look for an independant with more moderate cost structure.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:11 am

Quick update - got in the car this morning (roof up overnight obviously / not been roof down for a couple of days).

As soon as I reversed the car off the drive, BONG BONG BONG 'Roof System' then 'Roof not latched'.

My software doesn't seem to talk to the onboard computers, so completely stuffed. BMW dealer is 5 miles away from my house.... really pissed off about it now.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

matsmith749 wrote:Quick update - got in the car this morning (roof up overnight obviously / not been roof down for a couple of days).

As soon as I reversed the car off the drive, BONG BONG BONG 'Roof System' then 'Roof not latched'.

My software doesn't seem to talk to the onboard computers, so completely stuffed. BMW dealer is 5 miles away from my house.... really pissed off about it now.
Haven't re read this but have you video's this on your phone - I have done that with this car and my Smart car ... and the dealer used the video to reinforce with the warranty people that there was an issue. It got me a new sat nav unit with Smart and oddly also a Sat Nav screen with BMW ! Both intermittent faults - the Smart particularly so !!
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm going to have to keep an eye on my roof. Dropped Mike off at work this morning, jumped out the car, put the divider down in the boot, back in car and went to put the roof down. Roof folded into the boot but then I thought it taking too long and looked behind me and the lid was stuck open at about a 60 degree angle.

Then I got the error message re the roof. Didn't want to be stuck down there with the roof in that position. Moved the car across the road, switched the ignition off and then back on and the green light came on and I could finish the job. Tried it again when I got home and no issues but now I've had one I'll need to keep an eye on it. I'll also get the diagnostics on it to see exactly what the fault was. I'll also put my car cover in the boot on the off chance it happens again and I can't fix it.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring