Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation in E89 lights

matthurley

Re: Condensation in E89 lights

Post by matthurley » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:40 pm

My adaptive headlight failure light comes on periodically. I'm guessing it's due to condensation...
Z4 30i Sdrive Space Grey/ Coral Red

E89_Gaz

Post by E89_Gaz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:13 pm

What was the relevance of the green trim fastener in the boot? Was that to signify the installation of the rear seal, or the newer two bolt rear light cluster?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:54 pm

The green button has a fuel pump symbol and seems to runs round to the tank flap.
Might be emergency flap open if the lock solenoid fails.
But haven't seen it mentioned in any manual.
Or tried to pull it!

Also I noticed US cars have the emergency 'trapped in boot' release, whereas UK cars don't seem to have them.

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:41 pm

OK, so I have a reply from BMW and I'm trying decide whether I can be bothered to argue any further. I mentioned in my (polite) complaint letter that the light cluster wasn't covered under my extended warranty (according to the dealer) as the cause was water ingress. I also mentioned that I was not covered by the 2 year repair warranty as the work had been done under the manufacturer's warranty. As an interesting aside, I asked the extended warranty team whether water ingress into lights is covered because after I had sent my letter, I had received my renewal notice. I have it in writing that it does!

The rather strangely worded response from BMW Customer Services said that I have "agreed to pay £250 towards the cost" because my extended warranty has a £250 excess. And so, as a gesture of goodwill they will lob in the balance of £80.

If I had never had a light cluster fail and seen no track record of them failing then I'd probably mumble a bit and think, "fair enough. After all, that's what I bought an extended warranty for." But it's still going to cost me £250 for a component that has failed three times and I have an ominous feeling will fail a fourth time when the nearside light (also replaced) goes as well.

Can I be bothered to go back and say, "try again"?

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Well done BMW! :D

I wrote a second letter of complaint to BMW Customer Services - I won't bore you with the details. But the upshot is that they've agreed to foot the bill for a replacement light cluster. I just hope and pray that the new one lasts a bit longer than the previous ones...

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Result! :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

philabbo

Post by philabbo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:28 pm

strugglinauthor wrote:OK, so I have a reply from BMW and I'm trying decide whether I can be bothered to argue any further. I mentioned in my (polite) complaint letter that the light cluster wasn't covered under my extended warranty (according to the dealer) as the cause was water ingress. I also mentioned that I was not covered by the 2 year repair warranty as the work had been done under the manufacturer's warranty. As an interesting aside, I asked the extended warranty team whether water ingress into lights is covered because after I had sent my letter, I had received my renewal notice. I have it in writing that it does!

The rather strangely worded response from BMW Customer Services said that I have "agreed to pay £250 towards the cost" because my extended warranty has a £250 excess. And so, as a gesture of goodwill they will lob in the balance of £80.

If I had never had a light cluster fail and seen no track record of them failing then I'd probably mumble a bit and think, "fair enough. After all, that's what I bought an extended warranty for." But it's still going to cost me £250 for a component that has failed three times and I have an ominous feeling will fail a fourth time when the nearside light (also replaced) goes as well.

Just had a similar experience. I have already had one drivers and 2 passenger lights replaced under manufactures warranty, but now under extended warranty the drivers light failed again. They tried to get me to pay the excess (£99) but I felt that I shouldn't be paying for a design fault so contacted bmw uk. They looked into all the previous repairs and service bulletins and spoke to the dealer. Just got a phone call back and they said they will pay for the full repair so nothing for me to pay. Great customer service from bmw uk, very impressed with them. Worth speaking to them direct if anyone else has this problem. I am hoping this is now fixed for good!!

| BMW z4 E89 23i sDrive M-sport | Saphire Black | 19" 326 Alloys | Pure White Extended Leather | PDC Front & rear | Folding Mirrors | Extended Lighting | Extended Storage | Heated Seats | Heated Steering Wheel |

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:40 pm

It's about time that they (BMW) started to sing from the same hymn sheet!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 pm

philabbo wrote:
strugglinauthor wrote:OK, so I have a reply from BMW and I'm trying decide whether I can be bothered to argue any further. I mentioned in my (polite) complaint letter that the light cluster wasn't covered under my extended warranty (according to the dealer) as the cause was water ingress. I also mentioned that I was not covered by the 2 year repair warranty as the work had been done under the manufacturer's warranty. As an interesting aside, I asked the extended warranty team whether water ingress into lights is covered because after I had sent my letter, I had received my renewal notice. I have it in writing that it does!

Just had a similar experience. I have already had one drivers and 2 passenger lights replaced under manufactures warranty, but now under extended warranty the drivers light failed again. They tried to get me to pay the excess (£99) but I felt that I shouldn't be paying for a design fault so contacted bmw uk. They looked into all the previous repairs and service bulletins and spoke to the dealer. Just got a phone call back and they said they will pay for the full repair so nothing for me to pay. Great customer service from bmw uk, very impressed with them. Worth speaking to them direct if anyone else has this problem. I am hoping this is now fixed for good!!
Credit where it's due, BMW have come good - result :thumbsup:

big alz4

Post by big alz4 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:05 pm

Is there an internal email to Bmw service department on this subject

Dryce

Post by Dryce » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:11 pm

strugglinauthor wrote: Credit where it's due, BMW have come good - result :thumbsup:
No credit due because of the inconsistencies and the tendency to try and wriggle out of a problem that is blatantly obvious to us and obvious to them.

They would deserve credit if they consistently replaced each instance of this failure without quibble. Better still of the replacement permantly fixed the fault.