Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rattly boot separator!

Helen Jones

Rattly boot separator!

Post by Helen Jones » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi all,

Does anybody else find that the boot separator on the E89 rattles inside the boot?

I'm pretty sure that that's the noise I can hear coming from the boot and it's really quite annoying but I don't know whether it's something that can be fixed or whether it's just something I've got to live with.

That said it's not really the sort of thing I'd expect from a BMW!

Any thoughts?

H
2014 Mineral White 20i sDrive

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Rattly boot separator!

Post by Maniac » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Yep mine does it a bit over rough road. Mines quiet when up but clicks a bit in the down position.

It's a bit intermittent so I live with it.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:00 am

I stuck some wooly velcro bits in where the protector touches in the open and closed positions as part of my rattle reduction campaign.
I wrapped some around the key hole shaped bits the top latches into when down, also near the magnetic latches when up.
Although now the temperature as dropped i notice a few rattles coming back, from somewhere.

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Interested to read this as mine also rattles on many an uneven road service I might ask my dealer for an opinion .

thepits

Post by thepits » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:02 pm

TONYMOR wrote:Interested to read this as mine also rattles on many an uneven road service I might ask my dealer for an opinion .
"opinion" - fill in the pot-holes! :headbang:

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:20 pm

My previous one did this but it was intermitant and I dont have a great deal of confidence in dealers fixing this sort of thing due to a previous exprience (not bmw) so lived with it
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

toonmal

Post by toonmal » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Mine is going to the dealers on Wednesday because of this...It's driving me nuts :headbang:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Its a mixed bag having dealers sort rattles. Due to the parts they usually remove they fix one and create another...

toonmal

Post by toonmal » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Even if I have to take a mechanic home in the boot, I'll make sure they fix it to my satisfaction :evil:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:21 pm

toonmal wrote:Even if I have to take a mechanic home in the boot, I'll make sure they fix it to my satisfaction :evil:
Hi, I called earlier about booking the umpa lumpa technician for rattle diagnosis.... yeah, Dave, just let him know the boots open ready to go... thanks.

Helen Jones

Post by Helen Jones » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:47 pm

toonmal wrote:Even if I have to take a mechanic home in the boot, I'll make sure they fix it to my satisfaction :evil:
Would be interested to know how you get on as I may book mine in if yours is successful!

I've also got a rattle from the dashboard/centre console but I dread to think what they'd need to do to sort that out!! :cry:

H
2014 Mineral White 20i sDrive

toonmal

Post by toonmal » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Well, I took my car in today, and fortunately, it was rattle central when I took the mechanic for a drive. He couldn't pin point it, so it's being kept in, and they are going to remove the passenger seat, and all the rear internal gubbings, then take it for a test drive tomorrow....To be continued........................

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Did they loan you another zed so that you could test that or what else?.

toonmal

Post by toonmal » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 pm

A nice X1...missing my Zed already though. :cry:

toonmal

Post by toonmal » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Well, result :thumbsup: My car was in for 2 1/2 days, and basically, they pulled it to bits internally ! Turns out it was a sharp bit on the lower seat belt housing, catching on part of the framework, so that was filed down and sorted :D Well, almost, I can still hear it a tiny bit, so I'll get them to file a bit more off, next time I'm down.Credit to the mechanics for persevering though :thumbsup: