Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35iS : Roof leak - by 'A' Post

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 35iS : Roof leak - by 'A' Post

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:03 pm

SO8 wrote:Salesman phoned - no reply at dealers. Now emailed asking how he suggests we go forwards given I have had it 3 days.
I assume it's not raining at the moment? If it's not then it's a case of taking it to the local dealers tomorrow or phoning bmw uk advising them of the issue and getting them to get the dealer you purchased it from to take some action.

If it is raining then I'd call out bmw assist and get them to take it. Local dealer would be best but you can specify the one you bought from but given the farce so far I'd try the local dealers unless you have a reason why you don't want to use them of course.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:26 pm

How bad is the leak? if its a few drips I would drop the roof and few times and lubricate the seals either with Krytox or Gummi Pflege and see if it cures it. If its leaking bad each time it rains then push for new seals.

Tim.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:52 pm

TitanTim wrote:How bad is the leak? if its a few drips I would drop the roof and few times and lubricate the seals either with Krytox or Gummi Pflege and see if it cures it. If its leaking bad each time it rains then push for new seals.

Tim.
It is not too bad - just the car is so new (to me). I have some Gummi Pflege which I bought for the door seals on a 3 series coupe about 4 years ago but never used. I guess it will still be OK as not opened ? I could try it but will see what dealer says first.

I wanted to get it recorded with them asap - especially as they left the coolant tank cap loose and that caused me grief !

Salesman was good to be fair for sale. He was very straightforward and not pushy so hopefully will be as good after sale as he was before and during :roll:
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:40 pm

SO8 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:How bad is the leak? if its a few drips I would drop the roof and few times and lubricate the seals either with Krytox or Gummi Pflege and see if it cures it. If its leaking bad each time it rains then push for new seals.

Tim.
It is not too bad - just the car is so new (to me). I have some Gummi Pflege which I bought for the door seals on a 3 series coupe about 4 years ago but never used. I guess it will still be OK as not opened ? I could try it but will see what dealer says first.

I wanted to get it recorded with them asap - especially as they left the coolant tank cap loose and that caused me grief !

Salesman was good to be fair for sale. He was very straightforward and not pushy so hopefully will be as good after sale as he was before and during :roll:
The Gummi Pfledge should be still OK. Understand you're concern and ideally on cars such as these they shouldn't leak at all. Unfortunately any cabriolet etc runs the risk of leaking, just the nature of the beast. I never bothered with mine as it would go months without leaking and then you would get a run of water down the seal and the door and then it disappear again. As you say bring it to the dealers attention and see what they say and hope they can sort it.

Tim.

gavinb

Post by gavinb » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:12 am

Our old Z4 leaked on and off. Never consistent.
Could be driving along and all of a sudden it would start dripping from the A Pillar.
Put the roof down then back up and hey presto it stopped.
It was always the drivers side, never the passenger side though.
Will have to wait to see what happens with the new one as it hasn't rained yet.

Blackhole128

Post by Blackhole128 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 am

A bit of a late response (only just joined this forum), but I had the same problem with my 2011 Z4 at 12 months old.

I had leaks on both A-pillars at the top. Water trickled down and over the doors/speakers.

Took it into my dealer - they said it was probably blocked drains, but they didn't mess around unblocking them - they replaced the seals for me under warranty. I've not had any problems with rain leaks since.

Hope that helps anybody having similar issues.