Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Long shot - But, looking for one of these...

You must have a post count >25 to post adverts in here (private sales only, no traders)
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:56 am

Ooh, I like the look of these...

Just emailed him to see if he'll ship to the UK..

Mike

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 am

A man of your talents should be able to knock something like that up yourself.
It may not have the ratchet type locking pin in it but surely this could be made with manual inserted pins in each post.
So 2 plates, 1 for the bottom, 1 for the top.
4 tubes for external welded to the bottom plate.
4 tubes for internal welded to the top plate.
Drill a few holes in each tube to slide locking pins into.
Job done.
To stop the car moving around on the top plate a couple of strips of bar could be welded on for the tyre to sit between.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:36 am

Would it be bad to want those just for cleaning the wheels ... :oops:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:21 am

Nictrix wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 am A man of your talents should be able to knock something like that up yourself.
It may not have the ratchet type locking pin in it but surely this could be made with manual inserted pins in each post.
So 2 plates, 1 for the bottom, 1 for the top.
4 tubes for external welded to the bottom plate.
4 tubes for internal welded to the top plate.
Drill a few holes in each tube to slide locking pins into.
Job done.
To stop the car moving around on the top plate a couple of strips of bar could be welded on for the tyre to sit between.
Time is the problem for me!!

Mike

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm
Crazy Harry wrote:Hi Mike, Snap! I'm on the brink of ordering one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-LIFT-MOBI ... Sw3YNXXwtX

I was already fed up trying to get under the Caterham so now I've bought the Zed as well I just HAVE to get one :rofl:

I guess we're both looking at the same firm who appear to know what they are doing - fell uneasy about getting a used one and from the ones I've seen used the cost of a good one is so close to buying new anyway.

That's the one!

Mike
Mine arrived today :D

[IMG]http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah2 ... szy4uf.jpg[/IMG]

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:59 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm
Crazy Harry wrote:Hi Mike, Snap! I'm on the brink of ordering one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-LIFT-MOBI ... Sw3YNXXwtX

I was already fed up trying to get under the Caterham so now I've bought the Zed as well I just HAVE to get one :rofl:

I guess we're both looking at the same firm who appear to know what they are doing - fell uneasy about getting a used one and from the ones I've seen used the cost of a good one is so close to buying new anyway.

That's the one!

Mike
Mine arrived today :D

[IMG]http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah2 ... szy4uf.jpg[/IMG]

Let me know what you think...

Mike

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Put it together this afternoon - good instructions and simple to assemble. Simple to raise and lower but not had a car on it yet.

Its reassuringly heavy but is a bit numb to move around. I knew I would need to put a board down over the gravel drive to use it. The motor/oil unit can be used to pull the lift along but it was difficult to push back into the garage - need to think if I can improve my technique to make it easier or add a trolley to help movement.

I also need to weld some long low ramps to get the lower cars over it to start with - particularly since it will have to sit under the Caterham when not in use (and you may remember how low Jeremy Clarkson said Caterhams were :o ).

Will post more photos in a few days.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 am

Crazy Harry wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 pm Put it together this afternoon - good instructions and simple to assemble. Simple to raise and lower but not had a car on it yet.

Its reassuringly heavy but is a bit numb to move around. I knew I would need to put a board down over the gravel drive to use it. The motor/oil unit can be used to pull the lift along but it was difficult to push back into the garage - need to think if I can improve my technique to make it easier or add a trolley to help movement.

I also need to weld some long low ramps to get the lower cars over it to start with - particularly since it will have to sit under the Caterham when not in use (and you may remember how low Jeremy Clarkson said Caterhams were :o ).

Will post more photos in a few days.
Cool. Get a car on it!

Now my mind is torn between one of these or a Mavic DJI Pro drone as they are similarly priced. ...

Mike

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 am
Cool. Get a car on it!
Constructed a pair of timber ramps yesterday only 4 inches but made all the difference - gave it a go this morning.

[IMG]http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah2 ... rkzd4n.jpg[/IMG]

Had more pressing work on the Caterham than the Zed - need to change the speedo cable on it before a club run on national 'drive it' day :driving: :D and had to check the gear box end to order the correct type.

I've started to look at caravan movers (driven jockey wheel) to see if I can adapt one to push the lift back into the garage - will post more stuff as I do it. Might still weld some ramps - I'm thinking that I could lock in tie bars to keep the ramps parallel and if they used drop pins I could change the gap to suit the track of each car.

stevespg

Post by stevespg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:31 pm

I've one of these (3 tonnes) with a gap between the ramps giving great access to the entire driveline/wheels etc. . I just park the z over it .. fits under the car just fine. i can "just" get a hockey puck between the ramp and the jack pads to lift the car. no wood ramps or anything needed.
Attachments
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG (135.77 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Not tried the Zed yet!

The Caterham was almost there but the mounting point for the A frame to the diff just caught the lift mechanism - and I didn't want to damage the paint surface on either - spent a lot of last summer stripping and rebushing the back of the Caterham.

At least I can see under the car to position the pads with it on the ramps - I've seen photos on the sales site where cars are run onto scaffolding planks which may well have been enough for me but I wanted a few more inches to save having to lie on the floor.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Just had another look at your photo - am I right in thinking that you drive onto and over the lift - rather than passing over it with the wheels on each side?

stevespg

Post by stevespg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:21 pm Just had another look at your photo - am I right in thinking that you drive onto and over the lift - rather than passing over it with the wheels on each side?
Yes, I just drive over the ramps, which drop down when you raise the lift giving clearance for work in the wheel areas
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone