Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Marmite back up for sale.......

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
born

Post by born » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:16 am

It was and always will be a deeply ugly car. Project started with good intent, but there is a reason designers study for years to be able to get styling right......
Can we all put £20 in again to buy it and crush the bugger?

z4all

Post by z4all » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:44 pm

paddy wright wrote:
z4all wrote:looks pretty cool, like a concept, but should have been done black so its more like a batman car. biggest issue IMO is that its a gutless 2.2.
Having owned my 2.2 for nearly 10 years and been on many forum runs I can assure you they are not gutless- yes they aren't as quick as a 3.0 but driven properly they are just as much fun, speed isn't everything- my F15 X5 is much faster than my Z but that doesn't mean I enjoy driving the z any less.
speed means a hell of a lot. whether its gutless or not is relative. to me it is 100% gutless, even the 3.0 isnt great, i accept it because for the price i just cannot do any better. next step up is z4m and it costs like 3 or 4 times more. and i know i wont get 3 or 4 times the fun out of it-so it becomes uneconomical to buy.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:05 pm

z4all wrote: speed means a hell of a lot. whether its gutless or not is relative. to me it is 100% gutless, even the 3.0 isnt great, i accept it because for the price i just cannot do any better.
Unless you are tracking your car I'd say that you are talking a load of equine manure, in most cases the driver is the limiting factor for safely making progress in real world road situations. Any well driven modern 130bhp+ ('gutless') hatch or sports car can easily embarrass much more potent machinery on the road.... unless you are a driving god of course :roll:

The Marmite is a decent little sportscar ruined, being a 2.2 isn't one of it's problems.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Last year i did a rally with all sorts of posh modded and powerful cars.
I spent the a day sassing a 650s through North Wales. And he didn't get away from me much. In fact when we got to Liverpool he was very upset to find out it only had 230bhp :evil: :cry: :oops:

I am not saying i am gifted. But we was driving it like it was a brand new exotic.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Why don't we all chip in £10 and buy this beauty on behalf of the Munich BMW Heritage museum? :wink:
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Zed Five wrote:Why don't we all chip in £10 and buy this beauty on behalf of the Munich BMW Heritage museum? :wink:

£10 a head, great idea! :thumbsup:

a couple of dozen takers should more than cover it's value.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 pm

z4all wrote:
paddy wright wrote:
z4all wrote:looks pretty cool, like a concept, but should have been done black so its more like a batman car. biggest issue IMO is that its a gutless 2.2.
Having owned my 2.2 for nearly 10 years and been on many forum runs I can assure you they are not gutless- yes they aren't as quick as a 3.0 but driven properly they are just as much fun, speed isn't everything- my F15 X5 is much faster than my Z but that doesn't mean I enjoy driving the z any less.
speed means a hell of a lot. whether its gutless or not is relative. to me it is 100% gutless, even the 3.0 isnt great, i accept it because for the price i just cannot do any better. next step up is z4m and it costs like 3 or 4 times more. and i know i wont get 3 or 4 times the fun out of it-so it becomes uneconomical to buy.
:thumbsup: my point exactly- going fast in a straight line is neither entertaining or skilful- the joy is how a car feels when driven well.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

z4all

Post by z4all » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 pm

paddy wright wrote:
z4all wrote:
paddy wright wrote: Having owned my 2.2 for nearly 10 years and been on many forum runs I can assure you they are not gutless- yes they aren't as quick as a 3.0 but driven properly they are just as much fun, speed isn't everything- my F15 X5 is much faster than my Z but that doesn't mean I enjoy driving the z any less.
:thumbsup: my point exactly- going fast in a straight line is neither entertaining or skilful- the joy is how a car feels when driven well.
going fast in a straight line isnt entertaining?? "driving" a car well and going fast in a straight line are both VERY entertaining.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:25 pm

You get to the point of diminishing returns.

The fact is the Z is very capable and most drivers can get a good amount of its performance on the road. You can drive it and not be scared of it which usually means you can drive it quicker. When you start to spend big money on a car your less likely to drive it in the same way.

soundb0y

Post by soundb0y » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Do the front lights just not fit?

z4all

Post by z4all » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:47 pm

tomscott wrote:You get to the point of diminishing returns.

The fact is the Z is very capable and most drivers can get a good amount of its performance on the road. You can drive it and not be scared of it which usually means you can drive it quicker. When you start to spend big money on a car your less likely to drive it in the same way.
sure but no z4 out of the factory is that quick anyway...if you stuck a SC on a z4m, i could see your point. but a 3.0 or a 2.2....? hardly quick cars nowadays...