Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Joemarsh

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by Joemarsh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:54 am

Hi all,

I am a new member and have been searching for a Z4 coupe for about 6 months now (only properly looking and test driving for the last 2). I have seen and driven a few nice SI sport models and missed out on a couple!! I have spotted an SE for £9k with about 50,000 miles on the clock (which seems cheap compared to the SI sport (rarer than the M?!?)). I know the differences between the two, (this one has the M sport seats) but will I miss the other bits, steering wheel, head lining etc. It's only a fun car for weekends as I get the train to work, so the harder sport suspension doesn't bother me. It also has only covered 3500 miles in 4 years but hasn't been serviced in that time!? Something to worry about? I know the service count down tells you when to service in terms of miles (I had a 2.8L Z3 a couple of years ago), but I would have serviced it in that time at least once in 4 years?

The forum is great and has helped my search! SO THANKS

Any advice/help is much appreciated

Joe
Current: Black Z4C 3.0si sport with all the toys :driving:
Previous: 2000 Z3 2.8L roadster; 1.2L Corsa (compulsory first car!)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by Marlon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Joe,

The Coupes are either si Sport or si SE (the si denotes the N52 265 bhp engine, which is the same in both cars)
You have the most important extra on the SE: M Sports seats. Also as you mentioned the SE ride isn't as harsh as the Sport (I've owned both). You will be missing the M sport wheel though :thumbsdown:
I would also be concerned about no servicing in 4 years, even if the mileage checks out that doesn't sound like a car that's been loved, plus oil can degrade over time even if low miles :(
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Joemarsh

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by Joemarsh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Marlon wrote:Hi Joe,

The Coupes are either si Sport or si SE (the si denotes the N52 265 bhp engine, which is the same in both cars)
You have the most important extra on the SE: M Sports seats. Also as you mentioned the SE ride isn't as harsh as the Sport (I've owned both). You will be missing the M sport wheel though :thumbsdown:
I would also be concerned about no servicing in 4 years, even if the mileage checks out that doesn't sound like a car that's been loved, plus oil can degrade over time even if low miles :(
Thanks Marlon,

My thoughts exactly, it's nice to have someones opinion to help the search. I think its one to pass by and keep on searching.

Having had both the sport and SE, what would you buy if you had the choice again? (If you don't own one now!)

Thanks

Joe

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by Marlon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Joemarsh wrote:
Marlon wrote:Hi Joe,

Thanks Marlon,

My thoughts exactly, it's nice to have someones opinion to help the search. I think its one to pass by and keep on searching.

Having had both the sport and SE, what would you buy if you had the choice again? (If you don't own one now!)

Thanks

Joe
If it was a choice between the SE with no optional extras - so standard seats/wheel - or the Sport, I'd go for the Sport every time. To give you some background, I bought a 3.0si SE E85 (standard spec.) and have over the last year replaced the seats with M sport seats and the wheel with an M wheel. So the only advantage IMO in buying an SE is the better ride from the SE suspension.
There are SE Zeds out there that have the M sports seats and M wheel as optional extras (or retrofitted as I've done) they would be the best buys imo, but they are rare and most people can live with the sports suspension - some prefer it, so its not worth hanging on for one of those rarities.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

gerryp

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by gerryp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:37 pm

I might be viewing an SE this weekend.
Ideally wanted a sport but it might be worth a look as it is fairly local.
It has heated sports seats but not the Msport wheel.
Also has piano black trim which is a bonus.
Is there any difference body wise between sport and se.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by markplant » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 pm

gerryp wrote:I might be viewing an SE this weekend.
Ideally wanted a sport but it might be worth a look as it is fairly local.
It has heated sports seats but not the Msport wheel.
Also has piano black trim which is a bonus.
Is there any difference body wise between sport and se.
No difference body wise other than ride height from the sport suspension iirc it's 10mm
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Zeddicus

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by Zeddicus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Although I tend to think the Sport version is preferable, I actually bought a SE coupe 3 years ago without regrets.
Mine is not having the Sport seats, nor obviously the sport lowered suspension but it has the M-steering wheel.

What I found is that the interior styling really benefits from the nice M-steering wheel, as the standard one has some grey spooks that have a cheap plastic look IMO. So this would be on the top of my list.
Again and only referring to style and appearance, but I much prefer the look of the standard seats rather than the design of the sport seats which I found too aggressive for classy sport coupe such as the E86 (it definitely has something to do with the headrest looking weird on the sport seats).

I am pretty confident that you can find a nice specced SE that matches with your taste, because ultimately, engine and performances remain the same on both versions. And if it's only about the suspension, you can easily replace and lower any SE with uprated shocks and springs (check Bilstein B12 kit for instance). You will reduce the gap between the tire and the arch and achieve that "cool" sporty look 8) .

Remember that Z4 coupe are all close to 10 years old now, so it may anyway come as a necessity to "refresh" a few things like the suspension, being sport or standard. Steering wheel also get worn and sometimes scratched, so consider that you can replace AND upgrade which is the icing on the cake.

Good luck with your research.
Z4 3.0si Coupe 2007 - Sapphire Black

Joemarsh

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by Joemarsh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Zeddicus wrote:Although I tend to think the Sport version is preferable, I actually bought a SE coupe 3 years ago without regrets.
Mine is not having the Sport seats, nor obviously the sport lowered suspension but it has the M-steering wheel.

What I found is that the interior styling really benefits from the nice M-steering wheel, as the standard one has some grey spooks that have a cheap plastic look IMO. So this would be on the top of my list.
Again and only referring to style and appearance, but I much prefer the look of the standard seats rather than the design of the sport seats which I found too aggressive for classy sport coupe such as the E86 (it definitely has something to do with the headrest looking weird on the sport seats).

I am pretty confident that you can find a nice specced SE that matches with your taste, because ultimately, engine and performances remain the same on both versions. And if it's only about the suspension, you can easily replace and lower any SE with uprated shocks and springs (check Bilstein B12 kit for instance). You will reduce the gap between the tire and the arch and achieve that "cool" sporty look 8) .

Remember that Z4 coupe are all close to 10 years old now, so it may anyway come as a necessity to "refresh" a few things like the suspension, being sport or standard. Steering wheel also get worn and sometimes scratched, so consider that you can replace AND upgrade which is the icing on the cake.

Good luck with your research.
Thanks for your input. Definitely something to bear in mind.

I'm slightly more dubious about the lack of service history despit the limited usage. As another member mentioned, it shows lack of love for the car. I'd much rather buy from someone I know has cherished it and pay a bit more.

Joe

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by mr wilks » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 pm

Se Z4Cs offer a good ride & with sport seats you really only need to sort the steering wheel to MF & you aren't far off the Sport .
The 50k miles is alluring on cars now hitting 10yrs & beyond , if its covered only 3500 in 4 years i wouldn't fret about the non service , this is a forum so we care for our cars but the majority probably follow the manufacturers guidelines so i wouldn't lose what could be a decent example just on that point :?
Worth a look , listen + drive id say for that money on those miles :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 E86 Coupe SE advice

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 am

I'm on Z4C Sport number 2 (although the first one I test drove was actually an SE).

Now I'm getting on a bit my ideal choice for a 3 litre Coupe would be an SE with Sport seats just for a bit more compliance in the ride, and those seats!

Same engine, same performance - M steering wheel is chunkier than it needs to be IMHO so I wouldn't miss that too much despite the better finish on the spokes. :lol:

What would worry me about the one the OP has described is the hole in the history! It is mileage/condition based but never more than 2 years, so I'd want it cheaper than that. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black