Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

dont be greedy & clean your car when selling!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am

price is the price, sure it can be strange disputing over £200 on a £5000 car, but perhaps none of these sellers were in a rush to sell, and you weren't really in a rush to buy!

I've been on the other side of the fence once, had a trader come up to view a car I was selling, he proceeded to point out all the bad points then offer a price I wasn't prepared to accept. I think he offered £5,400 and I wasn't going to take less than £5,500. to be fair I didn't really like him that much, but he's the one who'd travelled all the distance... in the end he went home empty handed.

sold it two weeks later to a nice chap from Bristol, who wasn't the least bit worried about a bit of overspray on a panel, for £5,450. sure it was only £50 more than the other guy, but I felt a lot better about it.

personally I normally only go look at cars if I'm prepared to pay the full asking price, indeed I'd never take less cash than the asking price. I'd normally try and haggle a deal, but its the sellers call at the end of the day - normally its you who go to them, not really any hardship on them if you go home empty handed. If you're travelling a long way to view a car, do it knowing theres a risk you're going away empty handed.

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm

"Oh and the flanks has more ripples than a Cadbury’s flake"

:rofl: :rofl: great explanation

i think it really comes down to the add...
if you list the following that turns out untrue, you cant really expect the buyer to not want to pay what youve asked.. as the advert has misled..
if any imperfection are listed, then the buyer has a choice to view or not..

FSH means that...stmmped book with reciepts, not that its over due a service from three years back, and its not fsh if your local gaareg has done an oil change only. whens its due an unosection at BMW! . if its stamped by tom dicks garage in no man lands then a receipt to back up would be good, or at least the MOt certificates to indicate it lived in the same area as the service garage.
immaculate condition means that, a scuff, rip in seat leather, stone chips are not immaculate. better to list as great condition for age, minor stone chips, and scuff in rear bumper, (with photos to highlight) its all about expectations..
one of my cherrished cars is immaculate, the others id class as fantastic condition with little wear commiserate with age.. one or two small stone chips, , immaculate interior, FSH all receipts & old mots.. all documented in a nice folder etc etc..
considering some z4 i looked at, i think i can safely describe my cars as "showroom new condition.... " :D

oh and ONO means you will take an offer... not £25 off a 10k car

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:25 pm

andyj007 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am "Unfortunately I think the OP shot themselves in the foot here and the whole post sounds like someone trying to convince themselves they have done the right thing. It also comes across as quite patronising, at the end of the day pricing is very subjective to say the very least, particularly with low volume niche models and there's plenty of members on here with vast car selling experience who don't need a lecture.
Buying the x1 instead at any price does smack of the OP not actually being that serious about the coupe."
[/i]

Bit wide of the mark there Mack, but fair comment to make...
apologies if i sounded patronising was not my attention..
regarding the Z i can assure you i was and am still serious about getting Z, i really like them..
luckily for me it doesnt have to be my only car...
i love my cars, i cherish them, clean, polish and spend far more money on them than i ever get back..
I know my cars and my engines, and have a few to play with one of my favourites is my Lotus evora ... sublime
the Z was is to be more of a daily driver, looks good, unlikely to lose any value, just servicing/ maintenance
i refuse to buy a car from someone who really doesnt care for it, has been neglected and it is unprepared..
for instance if i get a stone chip, i repair it, if it needs tires it gets them... the same brand and make across each wheel.. not some ditch finders.. i found on one car!
these cars are enthusiast owned, hardly an enthusiast if you cant even be bothered to clean your car before i come view it..

the service folders are in order, and all reciepts are kept.
i have no problem going to buy a car if it needs a service, for instance if the two id looked at if they had been serviced i would happily have paid the asking price,but instead, i was expected to take them, pay for the service, take a risk nothing else comes up... and therefore id expect them to be liitle less to buy than others comparable that were all ok..

ive already been offered more for the x1 than i paid for it when i took it to the local BMW garage for a pre warranty end check, which was the reason i purchased it.. why on earth i need to justifi it on here over a z4 when im still looking for one is beyond my thinking capicity.

Diesel isnt going anywhere, dont kid yourselves it is.. we convinced ourselves from all the scare mongering year or so a year back, and brought the wife new petrol car... so we have that base covered.. but petrol cars wont pull my track day car, wont run my vans, and certainly wont plough the fields...or deliver your tescos shopping and all your goods, the govt misled us spectacular on diesel 10 years back, we all jumped on board... no doubt the same thing will happen petrol again and then electric... i buy what suits me best, at the time of my needs, and what gives me a warm buzzy feeling inside.

again apologies if i sounded patronising it was not ment to be that way.. but as with all internet posts, people read things and interpret them differently

Aj
I appreciate your not going to agree with me but im not sure where you going with most of the above, other than to effectively repeat your first post justifying your buying decisions.
The heart of the matter is in your original post you basically didn't buy for the sake of £200. Money you've probably wasted most if not all of on fuel now anyway with further viewings etc not to mention your time and hassle. You mention nothing about it being the condition of the car involved. Just that it was ready for a service, which isnt huge money.
I honestly cant see how anyone wouldnt regret that decision now. Yes hindsight is wonderful but on reflection it is a mistake. However you've been given a second bite of the cherry, if he's now offering it to you at what you would have paid a few weeks back and your still in the market, why haven't you bought it?

Buying the x1 makes alot more sense now you've told us the zed is to be a second car etc. The way you initially explained yourself in the first post didn't. You said you were in the market for a zed but couldnt get one that you thought was the right price, you needed a car so bought an X1 that you thought was reasonably priced. It did come across as one or the other, not that you were in the market for two vehicles.
Not sure where I went wide of the mark based on what was initially written.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Chris1981

Post by Chris1981 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Completely agree with you on this one, prices need to be reflective of current market value which at the moment is low.... it really is a buyers market currently and there are plenty of coupes to choose from given their low production volume!

Personally I think you should advertise your car at a higher price but you need to be negotiable on the price... advertising at a low price can actually put buyers off as it may elude to the car having undeclared issues, and instead offered as 'a bargain' or 'priced to sell' whereas it's actually a total shed! We all know if something appears to good to be true it often is...
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Glad you are happy with your purchase OP, not the car I would have picked personally but you had your reasons which is fair enough.

I had that engine in my 123d back in the day so I know it well, I didn't keep it long though it didn't excite me enough to keep it.

totally different car to the Z4 though so you can't really compare.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new car and hopefully one day you will get a coupe :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Diesel sales down 30% this year according to SMMT and rapid falls on used market too. The budget is also going to bring higher taxes specifically for diesel powered vehicles as well.

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Boggles me how people put up poor ads on unwashed and unloved cars with terrible descriptions, awful photo's (or no photo's), aggressive sentences like 'no time wasters', asking too much money, and wonder why they are either not selling or not getting top dollar.

And OP, I would have walked away for £200 as well. Where do you stop? Put a price on what you want to pay and go no more, otherwise you creep up, and creep up, and creep up and end up well over budget.

Plus, buy what you like! Doesn't affect me one iota. Looks like a nice car you have there, and 50mpg with performance, what is not too like!.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

I have to agree that although it hasn't been the diesel's best year, the death of the diesel is a little premature.
https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trade ... etter-#259
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Honestly - unless you love doing it, have experience of it, or happen to do your own car regularly to a high standard (and actually understand what that is, not just think you do) - get your car detailed pre-sale... professionally. It may cost £3-600 depending on who/how/what but christ it's worth it.

for cars 10k up its often worth it, for 15k+ its pretty much definitely going to make the money back or more (and adds value in terms of quick sale / reaching your requested sale price), any z4m trying to hit peak prices you shouldn't even be questioning it - the cars are old now and there's a huge difference between (unless you're a larry wannabe and know what you're doing yourself ... if you don't now who 'larry' is, you probably need a pro).

for sub 5-10k, it depends on how much of the value depends on condition. some cars would benefit im sure.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

andyj007

Post by andyj007 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

i agree about the diesel tax, no different to when the gov brought in co2 company car tax.early 2000 . my 3l petrol v6 with fuel card quadrupled my personal tax liabilities... so we all had no choice but to jump to diesel... yet here we are 15 years later still driving the said nasty nasty 3l petrols :D and how i laugh when people start bemoaning diesel.... :rofl: ... :roll: been there done that and round and round we go again... your/mine 3l petrols were frowned upon even more than diesels now back in 2000 you were an outcast. values plummeted.. (ring a bell) you couldnt give them away..
no one died, everyone lived to tell the tale.. the govnt just forced the issue as they have done now. and mainly to what suits there own personal agenda at the time...
new road tax was adjusted in march, were talking about 1p - 2p a litre on vat for fuel diesel fuel going forward, of which i and others claim back anyway, but significantly higher taxes on diesel new cars, forcing most company car drivers to drive petrol. as taxes will be horrific..

round and round we go for another fifteen years, and then we will all be saying how much petrol cars are so bad, diesel was fantastic, electric cars are evil, & nitrogen is the future...

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Gelignite is the future I reckon. What could possibly go wrong?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Agree the sentiments about cleaning cars and being honest before sale. As someone who cleans their cars and services them to destruction a dirty car up for sale just makes me question the mechanical side as its likely to be in a similar state. I blame the 1,2, 3 type of category where everyone thinks that if the car starts, smokes and drives it must be A1 condition.

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:41 pm

I can understand where the op is coming from, however i wouldnt miss out on the car i was specifically after for 200 or 500 quid. Especially with the beautiful e86 looking as they do. 👍
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

razorsharp192

Post by razorsharp192 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 pm

To be honest as a seller I'd just see the OP as a time waster, he viewed these cars knowing the asking price, so to waste peoples time viewing/test driving only to then make low offers is just annoying.
Z4 Coupe Si Sport - Ruby Black Metallic, ZHP, Stubby, Black Leather, Black kidney grills, Black badges, can you see a pattern forming? :D

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 am

original guvnor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 am I've just sold my mum's Honda Jazz (my Dad passed away last month so she's keeping his newer Hyundia i20). I spent two days giving it a full detail and it sold to the first person who viewed it. We got a fair price for it and they got a great car, presented the way I'd like to see a car if I was buying it. If you don't want to put the effort in, sell it to WBAC, and just accept you'll get several hundreds/thousands less than you would if you put a bit of elbow grease in.

Not sure the diesel will be such a great buy. They're dropping like a stone in the used market and are about to get hammered in the budget, which will make them fall in value even more. But that's a different question and debate.
Sorry to hear about your Dad passing away,Steve. Condolences
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)