Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW tech crashed my car! What would you do?

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Years ago when i was a student I used to work as a valeter at BMW as a summer job- a customer car (nearly new) got badly damaged in the workshop. They had to agree a future value for the car that was well above book value for when he would be trading it in. Could be an option if you intend to replace it with a BMW in the future.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 pm

MACK wrote:
wegras wrote:Arguably they have diminished the value of your car even if it's repaired unless they are suggesting you don't disclose any damage on sale.

That information will live with the cars history at BMW, if anyone should check the vehicle's past it will show up but I doubt it will include the fact the Dealership caused the damage, ergo ,you caused it :cry:
( as does any BMW bodyshop repairs )
Normally I would agree, however considering how this happened I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer intended to "keep this off the record"
Even worse but can you imagine if that did happen, the ramifications for Dealership if found out which would be very easy for OP to achieve
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:44 pm

wegras wrote:
MACK wrote:
wegras wrote:Arguably they have diminished the value of your car even if it's repaired unless they are suggesting you don't disclose any damage on sale.

That information will live with the cars history at BMW, if anyone should check the vehicle's past it will show up but I doubt it will include the fact the Dealership caused the damage, ergo ,you caused it :cry:
Normally I would agree, however considering how this happened I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer intended to "keep this off the record"
Even worse but can you imagine if that did happen, the ramifications for Dealership if found out which would be very easy for OP to achieve
Precisely, you would hope they would behave properly in this regard, record the damage which does look quite substantial and either compensate the OP or offer to replace the vehicle. With the car being rear wheel drive I would definitely want 100% reassurance from a trusted independent inspection that there is no drivetrain involvement. However the dealer has clearly not been truthful about what really happened to the car so it doesn't fill you with confidence they will "do the right thing" in other regards.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:07 pm

MACK wrote:

Yep, which is what I said earlier that it would have been better for them to fix it and say nothing.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Maybe a free lifetime no quibble warranty could be asked for.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 pm

All good advice people :thumbsup: I took some legal advice this morning which clarifies I can't demand a new car but I can ask for compensation if I prove the vehicle has lost value.
I returned to the dealer today to get a better loan vehicle and I did have a brief conversation with a sales lady who did say they could buy the car off me and I have lots of options.
Going down a guaranteed future value in say six months time would be of interest, either way when they repair it I'm going to twist their balls :x
I should add that I bought the car only 3 months ago from Cooper for £21,750 with 11k on the clock which is now showing 15k I wonder what I should ask for?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.2 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (172.09 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:32 pm

Pity you didn't have a dashcam installed.

I'd be wanting a deal on the table to replace the car with something similar.

Its a disgrace and although accidents can happen its more likely a blatent disregard for other peoples property whilst in their care, I would also be after the persons job and they are not fit to be test driving customers cars.

Tim.

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi Tim
Hope your enjoying your M140 and never have the problem I have. Being a rare event it's hard to know the correct coarse of action in such an event. It's just a shame that the dealer has just assumed they can repair it and all will be well in the world!
It should be the dealer offering options rather than myself having to push the matter. I love BMW cars so don't want to be put off and go elsewhere.
Jon
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:Hi Tim
Hope your enjoying your M140 and never have the problem I have. Being a rare event it's hard to know the correct coarse of action in such an event. It's just a shame that the dealer has just assumed they can repair it and all will be well in the world!
It should be the dealer offering options rather than myself having to push the matter. I love BMW cars so don't want to be put off and go elsewhere.
Jon
M140i is going great thanks and loving it so far :)

From their point of view of view the cars repairable and can be put back to how it was before, its down to how hard you want to push it further or happy to accept the repair. The dealer will always follow the path of least resistence and limit any cost to themselves.

I've had a few cars damaged in the past by dealers which makes my blood boil, the worst a Corsa VXR when they smacked the front bumper on pick up day and gave me the car with it cracked and sticking out from the wing and they thought that was acceptable, complete jokers alot of the time.

Tim.

maxman

Post by maxman » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:Hi Tim
Jon
I would ask to see the car on a ramp so you can see what's damaged.Looking at the wheel it looks bad,when up in the air it might just be a bent arm which has taken most of the shock in the collision .
Seeing what has been damaged you might feel more comfortable with the repair.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:36 am

I would be thinking along the lines of - I dont want the car back - I want my money back.
Only discuss with the DP - or you could talk to BMW ???? I'm sure they wouldn't like the incident!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:38 am

I think you are making a mistake by not demanding a meeting with the dealer principal. He/she is the only person who can truly agree a satisfactory outcome. The rest are filters to him and look to cost reduction and keeping it off his desk.

I also would not threaten with social media or other exposure that some have said unless they fail to,satisfy. I'm friends of a few dealers and know they putt the barriers up if they are threatened. Amicable resolution should get what you need.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:44 am

cj10jeeper wrote:I think you are making a mistake by not demanding a meeting with the dealer principal. He/she is the only person who can truly agree a satisfactory outcome. The rest are filters to him and look to cost reduction and keeping it off his desk.

I also would not threaten with social media or other exposure that some have said unless they fail to,satisfy. I'm friends of a few dealers and know they putt the barriers up if they are threatened. Amicable resolution should get what you need.
I couldn't agree more!
The others will only be covering their backsides - the DP probably doesn't even know about it - my satisfactory solution would be for them to buy back the car, then buy another one from them !

The visible damage is only one aspect of the treatment the car has undergone.

Bmw is the next step if there is no offer from the DP - after that it's the press etc, trading standards etc.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

wegras

Post by wegras » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:56 am

ronk wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:I think you are making a mistake by not demanding a meeting with the dealer principal. He/she is the only person who can truly agree a satisfactory outcome. The rest are filters to him and look to cost reduction and keeping it off his desk.

I couldn't agree more!
The others will only be covering their backsides - the DP probably doesn't even know about it - my satisfactory solution would be for them to buy back the car, then buy another one from them !

The visible damage is only one aspect of the treatment the car has undergone.

Bmw is the next step if there is no offer from the DP - after that it's the press etc, trading standards etc.

Best :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: advice on here
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Yes I agree,
I'm going to let them repair it and then ask to see the principal as I have taken legal advice and need to discuss my options with him regarding what compensation will work best for me.
Bottom line is a crashed car is worth less market value and we need to negotiate what that value is!
Of coarse I will let everybody know the outcome :thumbsup: