Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Iridium Engineering - Southampton

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 pm

I had a great experience with Iridium Engineering in Southampton last week. This was my first time visit.

I thought I felt an engine vibration as I revved the engine out to 8k. It was very wet, but I had a straight dual carriage way ahead of me, so thought it could use a blow out!

After I felt the slight vibration, which only seemed to happed the once as i revved it past 5k, I had a look around the engine bay, but couldn't see anything obvious. I was initially concerned that it might be engine mounts, but they looked ok to me.

I rung up Sean at Iridium and described the problem. He said bring it in and he would have a look.

I took it in a 5pm just before they closed so he could have a quick check. He did far more than a quick check. After an initial check with the bonnet open, he decided to have a look under the car. In order to do this, he had to move 2 cars out of the way to get mine onto the ramp. During all of this, it never came across than anything was too much trouble. After it was on the ramp, he checked everything under the car, and even took the rear under tray off to check the diff area. After this, just to be sure he had checked everything, he then connected the car up to his diagnostic equipment and checked for fault codes and checked all the sensors were reading correctly with live mapping, everything was running correctly. Its cool to see the computer rev the engine gently up and watch all the numbers change in the diagnostic readout. The only thing he could find wrong with the car was the AC belt was starting to perish, and it was sluggish to start. The sluggish to start he linked to it being close to Ins 2, and said it needed new plugs. He gave the car a clean bill of health.

After 40 mins of checking the car, I left and travelled homeward. Once the car was upto temp, I gave it some beans and I couldn't feel any vibration. I can only assume it must have been really struggling with traction! I haven't had a problem of any vibration since and I have been trying/testing for it.

From what I have seen so far, I cannot recommend Iridium enough. After looking on the internet, its full of glowing reviews from the likes of M3Cutters, BabyBMW etc etc and I will now be heading here for any works required.
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Iridium Engineering - Southampton

Post by Adamski » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Good to find a trustworthy indy.... :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Caemon

Post by Caemon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi Rob :thumbsup:

if you don't mind me asking how much did he charge you for all that?
MONTEGO BLUE COUPÉ .E86 3.0si ...| M Suspension | M Steering Wheel | Champagne Leather | Piano Black
108s | SatNav Professional | Cruise Control | Heated Memory M Seats | Xenons | Stubby | Black BMW Roundels

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Caemon wrote:Hi Rob :thumbsup:

if you don't mind me asking how much did he charge you for all that?
Absolutely nothing. He just said bring it back here to be serviced. Which I will after seeing him work on the car and other reviews.

I am arranging for him to fit the exhaust bypass pipes. He is apparently a coded welder, so the standard of work should be very good.

He is an qualified engineer turned bmw mechanic, rather than a just a fitter/mechanic which I find very reassuring!
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:54 pm

So nice to hear this! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Caemon

Post by Caemon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Wow that's good to know :thumbsup: ... I might give him a go :)
MONTEGO BLUE COUPÉ .E86 3.0si ...| M Suspension | M Steering Wheel | Champagne Leather | Piano Black
108s | SatNav Professional | Cruise Control | Heated Memory M Seats | Xenons | Stubby | Black BMW Roundels

anastasios87

Post by anastasios87 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Just wanted to add that I've known Sean since he opened Iridium Engineering at the back of his house in Southampton. Went there 7-8 years with my old 318 for the first time as he was around the corner from my house and found his details in another forum.

I have never met any other mechanic that I could trust so much. Actually after my experience with him, no one is trustworthy anymore! He worked on all my cars while I was in the UK from a simple diagnostic to an M3 differential rebuild. He took full care of my 328 back in the day which included every component of the cooling system, upgraded every component of the suspension to eibach, breaks, differential, exhaust and the list goes on.

His work is excellent, and he is great at problem solving. At the same time he always kept me updated and was true to his word, almost to the minute.

Here are some pics from the differential rebuilt he did for me about 5 years ago now.

I cannot recommend him enough. He used to be a mechanical engineer (i think) before his passion for BMW's and great workmanship took over, and I am confident that he can solve any mechanical or electrical problem you might ever have.

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:38 am

I have also experienced fantastic workmanship, I had a E46 coupe there getting the rear arches rolled.

I dread taking my car to garages (Including main dealers) however at Iridium I was fully comfortable having my car being worked on. He's a genuine enthusiast and a perfectionist. Just wish his work shop was up here in the north east.

touring_style

Post by touring_style » Fri May 27, 2016 9:12 pm

I took my x5 to iridium to have the rear sub frame bushes changed a few months a go.

I must add my voice to what a good job they do and how professional they are.
2004 2.2i SE

R0n1n

Post by R0n1n » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Took my Z4 for Insp II and and would heartily recommend and will be using again that's for sure.