Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adding extra 12v socket

Pipkin

Adding extra 12v socket

Post by Pipkin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello,

I'm sure this will have been covered before somewhere but I couldn't find the answer when I was searching so here goes. I wanted to add an extra power socket in the glove compartment which wasn't permanently live, ie turns off with the ignition. It was extremely straight forward as most of you will know but I'll post details for others like me who weren't sure what to do.

What I used:
Regular Phillips screwdriver
Small flat head screwdriver
Multi-meter
Fuse tap (if you choose not to make your own)
Additional fuse (I used 5A)
New socket - cigarette receptacle style or USB
Connection block
Hoop/fork electrical connector (optional)

1) The fuse box is behind the glove compartment. Open the compartment and look for the two plastic buttons that you need to push in simultaneously. A light tug to the compartment when the buttons are depressed will open it further to reveal the fuses.
2) You will need to identify which fuses serve which item. There is an excellent guide in this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38888. If the link doesn't work, search for Problem Solving - Forum Guide to Fuses - E85 and E86
3) Choose a circuit that turns off with the ignition. I used a multi-meter, earthed to the door hinge, and worked through them systematically to see which was live. It should be logical based on the item(s) each circuit serves but it doesn't seem to be. I found that 12, 13, 14, 28 and 47 were the ones I wanted. I settled on 28.
4) Remove the chosen fuse (use a tool or give a gentle wiggle to each side with a screwdriver). Using the multi-meter and with the ignition turned to the accessories position (ie, the one before the main position), check the top fuse slot and then the bottom. You should find that the top is live, the bottom not. This alternates depending on the fuse number. This is important as you want to ensure you tap into the fused side of the circuit.
5) Next, you will need a fuse tap, or be confident in fashioning one for yourself. I bought 4 off eBay for £5. Plug the tap into the vacant slot with the emerging wire pointing to the fused side. Ie, the slot which wasn't live when you checked it.
6) Insert the original fuse into the slot on the tap which corresponds to the existing circuit (you'll know from which sits over the slots), and add a new fuse into the other slot. I used 5W which is sufficient for phone charging which is why I wanted it. The main cigarette lighter uses 15w but I didn't want to draw this kind of power. Lower is safer in these circumstances.
7) Now you have the (fused) live from the tap, you need an earth. Most of the screws in the glove compartment are seated into plastic but you'll spot one that sits just behind some plastic trim with metal clearly visible. With a little manoeuvring, you'll be able to remove the screw and wire in an earth connection using either a hoop or fork connector, or you could just wrap the wire around the screw (clockwise). The former options are preferable.
8) Finally, you need a power socket. You could buy a 12v cigarette lighter receptacle socket, or a USB socket. Your choice. Wire it up using connection blocks or metal connectors. Remember to isolate any metal parts left exposed with electrical tape or a rubber cover.
9) Important point - ensure that the wires you use match the amp rating of your fuse. Ie, if you have a chosen a 5A fuse, the wires must be rated to hold at least 5A.
10) And very finally, run the wire over the back of the fuse compartment, into the glove compartment - you'll find there's room. You can either leave your new socket loose or screw it fast. When you close the fuse part of the compartment, remember to reposition the soft-release mechanism. You'll know exactly what I mean when you see it (it's a plastic rod, around 3 inches long. It needs to be reunited with its mate!)

I then went on to drill a hole in the right (RHD car) side of the glove compartment to lead into the area behind the blanking plate above the heated seat etc. panel. This was in order to run a USB cable to the far right of the cabin for phone charging - I dock my phone to a magnetic holder on the right-hand air vent.

I hope you find this useful.

As a newbie, this is my first how to so please be kind!!

Pip
Z4 Roadster 2003, 3.0 Sterling Grey

hikarateboy

Adding extra 12v socket

Post by hikarateboy » Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks for the write up. I was looking to do this, this week and your post was exactly what I needed. I appreciate the time spent.