Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to replace soft top motor without removing roof.. DONE!

ch_ryqmhho

Post by ch_ryqmhho » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Mike, thanks once again. I will have a look at that. I assume that it will be a time consuming process considering that I have to drain/refill the hydraulic reservoir every time I want to see the effect of an adjustment of the bolts.

ch_ryqmhho

Post by ch_ryqmhho » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Mike,

just took a look at it. Were you referring to the two bolts visible in this picture on the side of the metal block? From your first description it sounded like I had to take off the fluid reservoir...

Anyway, if these two bolts are adjustment screws then I'm screwed (pun!). They don't move at all; completely rusty. Trying to turn them only strips them :(

Do you know if the whole pump can actually be taken apart? It's so frustrating to have come so far and still have to buy a new unit for $500.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:32 pm

No, they are just blanks in a new pump. You need to remove the plastic reservoir from the top, they are in there.

sergioueda

Post by sergioueda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Good afternoon,

I have been accompanying this forum for some time, which is very useful for me.
I live in Brazil, where convertibles are very rare and the workshops do not have the necessary knowledge to perform the repairs. Sorry for the grammatical errors (I used the google translator to write this post).
A few months ago the hood of my BMW Z4 did not work. At first I could hear the sound of the electric motor. Then even that noise stopped.
Yesterday I removed the rooftop and the electro-hydraulic motor, to which I verified that water had entered. I performed the kerosene bath, which caused the electric motor to run again. However, despite hearing the engine noise, the rooftop does not move, that is, it just unlocks.
I suppose there was a problem with the bypass system.
In order not to need to remove the hood again to service the engine, I cut the attachment point of the engine's plastic cover to one of the pillars of the hood. I removed the plastic part from the bowden cable attached to the motor, and saw that the supposed bypass button is fixed (it does not move out or inside the housing). I used v40 oil to try to unclog it, but it did not change anything.
I think the problem is the bypass release. What should I do to release the button?
Attachments
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6226.JPG (111.23 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
IMG_6225.JPG
IMG_6225.JPG (131.51 KiB) Viewed 6445 times

sergioueda

Post by sergioueda » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 am

Problem solved

Jezza21

Post by Jezza21 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:59 pm

sergioueda wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 am Problem solved
How did you solve this? I'm going to try and fix mine this weekend

Rg1

Post by Rg1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Hey mike, my '08 z4 roof has stopped working, it unlatches/latches but doesn't go up or down. Any chance you could help? Thanks

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:08 am

Rg1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm Hey mike, my '08 z4 roof has stopped working, it unlatches/latches but doesn't go up or down. Any chance you could help? Thanks
No problem, I can fix that in about an hour. Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you my number.

Mike

Austin09

Post by Austin09 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Going to attempt mine this weekend - thanks for the helpful advice here posted.
I'll take photos etc. as I go in case they're helpful for anyone and report back how I get on.

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi all, today I finally finished relocating the soft top motor from the water tank to the boot. So I’d just like to say a big thank you to all you great people who have contributed to this thread, especially to Beynon5 for getting the ball rolling and his advice on how to go about the job, owm for providing the link to another pdf guide which was also useful, Enzed4 for his insights and Mike Ducklakeview with his encyclopaedic knowledge.
Needless to say, my thanks also go to the Z4 Forum website and those who keep it going.
Cheers!
Robert.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - now sold
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Athers

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi there,
With the help of this thread I've managed to successfully remove my motor.

I note Our Guru Mike mentioned that virtually all motors are salvageable...

I've struggled however. Despite getting it out soon after failure and cleaning it up it has refused to operate.

It span freely on removal but despite a couple of minor jerks when powered up it has refused to spin....

There is talk of soaking in diesel, wrapping in a WD40 soaked bag but wondered old there is a best fix.... I note that it looks like it will separate further.

Thanks in advance.

Athers.

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi Athers,
Mine wouldn't turn on removal. I let it dry out for a couple of days as it had been sitting in 150ml of brown water for God knows how long. After that I gave it a good dose of WD, tapped the casing a few times with a small hammer and turned the motor spindle at the base of the unit with a pair of pliers a few times. It then fired up no problem although it wouldn't lift the roof as the bypass valve had become stuck in bypass mode (a relatively easy fix as it turns out). I did notice however that when I was tapping the casing that a few flakes of rusted metal fell out of it, so I'm wondering if something like that might be jamming your motor. Good luck.
Robert.

Athers

Post by Athers » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Robert hi....

Sorry I didn't phrase that very well.

The motor was and is still spinning freely...i think I got it out in good time.

It just won't run.

I see there is a circuit board at the bottom...im getting 12 volts there so that may well be the culprit...

The motor doesn't seem to want to come apart...looks crimped together.

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:03 am

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I know what you mean re the circuit board, mine was covered with a brown residue when I removed it but thankfully kicked into life. Can't advise further but hopefully someone will.
Robert.

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Hello ....hello....ello.....llo.........lo............
Athers?....thers?.......hers?.........ers?.............rs?............s?................?
Anybody there?...ere?.......ere?.........re?.......e?................?