Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replace your driver's seat foam

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:48 pm

I acquired a pair of Sport seats in decent condition but with a badly crushed driver’s bolster and decided to buy a replacement seat back foam to refresh it with. The cost of this was £110 but I feel it was worth it, given the value of these seats on the second hand market at the moment.

This was the first part of a full refurbishment which also included reconditioning and tightening the leather (PawnSacrifice has written a great guide for this, here). The seats in question are heated, so removing and replacing the heating elements is part of this process. It took me about three hours at an easy pace.

You’ll need:

- Sport seat back foam (part number 52107896163)
- T20 torx screwdriver
- Pack of thin (3-4mm) tie-wraps
- Needle-nose pliers
- Interior trim tool
- Stanley knife
- Small scissors
- General purpose household glue
- Fingers of steel
- A cat (optional)

Pre-reqs:

Take the driver’s seat out of the car and remove the seat back. These steps are covered in other guides. Here’s the seat back with the replacement foam beside it.
01.jpg
01.jpg (194.89 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
Steps:

Remove the belt guide using the torx driver.
02.jpg
02.jpg (178.7 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
The leather is held in place with stiff plastic piping which slides into a slot that runs around the outside of the seat shell. Start freeing the leather using your hands and trim tool. It helps to compress the seat foam next to the edge you are removing while you lift out the plastic piping. I found it easiest to start in the middle, between the lower and upper bolsters.
3.jpg
3.jpg (189.81 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
In the bottom corners of the seat, the leather is secured in place with metal rings that look a little like fish hooks. These can be prised apart using needle-nose pliers. You’d better get used to doing this, because there are few million more to do. :o

You’ll find the bottom of the seat pretty easy to remove and lift free of the seat shell.
4.jpg
4.jpg (168.05 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
The headrest is the stiffest part due to the sharp curve at the top - leave it until last and you can flip the leather over to make it a little easier to remove.

Once the leather/foam and seat shell are separated, you may want to get a cat to check things over.
5.jpg
5.jpg (196.4 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
Here’s a pic just for info. The shell is actually two parts - a plastic outer with a polystyrene insert.
6.jpg
6.jpg (197.91 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
There are metal rails embedded into every seam of the seat foam along each seam. Small metal rings are used to secure the leather to the foam.
7.jpg
7.jpg (207.44 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
You’ll now need to remove all of these. Pretty straightforward but very tedious! Just be careful to not perforate the leather.
8.jpg
8.jpg (204.18 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
You’ll find that you can’t detach the leather completely without disconnecting the heater wiring at the base of the seat back.
9.jpg
9.jpg (213.09 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
Next, peel off the heater elements. Try and keep it neat - any foam you rip off should be trimmed with a sharp knife, otherwise they’ll be lumpy when you reattach them to the new foam.
10.jpg
10.jpg (186.87 KiB) Viewed 8552 times
Here are the old and new seat foams side by side. You’ll notice a couple of things… how manky the new foam looks and just how bad the damage to the bolster is on the old foam!

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/rat11g.jpg[/IMG]

I think the discolouration of the new seat is just due to it having been in long-term storage instead of immediately fitted to a new Z4. The structure of the foam is in fact perfect.

The damage to the old bolster is terminal, although looks particularly bad on this one because large chucks of foam fell out when the leather was removed. These bolsters are particularly susceptible to crushing because they have a channel running all round the backs which lines up with the hard plastic edge of the shell. You can see it in this photo of the foam backs.

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/2d1n5sk.jpg[/IMG]

After repeated encounters with people’s arses, the foam tears along the channel and then the edge of the of the shell starts to cut through it every time somebody gets in or out without using the "flying monkey" technique.

Next step is to glue the heater elements onto the replacement foam. Pretty easy - also smells great. :crazydude:

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/s2zhix.jpg[/IMG]

Most people would happily top themselves before reinstalling all of the tiny metal rings, so use tie-wraps instead [EDIT - the rings are called "hog rings" and you can reinstall them with a pair of hog ring pliers. Cheers to born for the tip]. Firstly, hook them under each exposed part of the metal rail in the foam.

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2gt6crl.jpg[/IMG]

Then loop them through the adjacent holes in the seat leather and pull them taught. Get this bit right and the seams will be nice and tight.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/atlv8h.jpg[/IMG]

Trim the tie-wrap ends with scissors. Double check you have secured and tightened all of the seams. It will be really obvious if you haven't once you put the leather back on! This is also a good point at which to align and re-connect the heater cable at the base of the seat.

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/axfrly.jpg[/IMG]

Once the leather is secured in place, you can start to reassemble the seat. I found it easiest to reverse the process of removing it - start at the top and work down. You need to ensure that the foam lines up with the rim of the seat shell without pinching or folding, and also that the plastic piping is fully inserted. If you don’t do this then the leather will not be pulled taught and you won’t be able to refit the belt guide.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/2e1u688.jpg[/IMG]

It is very tough work on your hands and fingers, but gently squashing the seat foam helps. You can do this by putting a large, rounded object under the seat (e.g. a football or upturned bowl) and put some weight on it from above - but be careful with those shiny new bolsters! If you’re not sure how far you should be going, use your passenger seat as a reference point.

The final steps are to tidy up and secure the leather flaps in the lower corners - these ones will need metal rings (not tie-wraps!) - and reattach the belt guide.

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2iuc4jm.jpg[/IMG]

Done! :)
Last edited by MrPT on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Replace your driver's seat foam

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:03 pm

Great How To MrPT,
I'd have a go at most things, Not sure I'd try this though. Well done :thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Grumpyowl wrote:Great How To MrPT,
I'd have a go at most things, Not sure I'd try this though. Well done :thumbsup:
Cheers. There's a couple more I need to write up, it's just finding the time to do it which is proving to be difficult at the moment!
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Nice write up. :thumbsup:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Good job :thumbsup:

I reckon it's worth having a base and a back stored in the loft if you're keeping the car long term. You won't be able to get these soon...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

born

Post by born » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:32 pm

You can repair the crushed foams fairly easily by inserting a new bit of upholstery foam and profiling it to shape, so don't worry about spending loads on having a spare! If you don't want to a trim shop will do it for not huge amounts of cash (and I would repair a backrest foam for between £60-80 depending on how wrecked it is).

The metal rings are the right thing to use rather than zip ties! They are called hog rings and you can buy a cheap set of hog ring plyers to reinstall the old ones if you straighten them out first, or buy some new ones for an easy life! Message me and I can sort you a strip from my stash for not a great deal of money.

Look for the fitting plyers here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Car-Ve ... Sw8d9UyqKg

It's fairly easy if you have the right tools!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Nice detailed how-to mrPT :thumbsup:
But tell me what I really want to know, what on earth is the "flying monkey" technique? :?
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Smartbear wrote:Nice detailed how-to mrPT :thumbsup:
But tell me what I really want to know, what on earth is the "flying monkey" technique? :?
Regards
It's a sort of sideways swinging manoeuvre where you dump your feet into the footwell and use the A pillar like a monkey bar to carry your arse effortlessly over the seat bolster.

born - I'm pretty sure those zip ties will be still be in place when the world is a nuclear wasteland, but that's good info, cheers. Have added a note to the guide.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:17 pm

Serious question, is there anybody able to fix my seat bolster and tighten up the leather at the same time? Or know anybody that would be able to do it for me? More than happy to pay the going rate.
Last edited by flimper on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Something like this

Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 am

I'm planning to do my Alpina seats over the next month or so, prior to this summers motoring, along with the steering wheel, as I think after 12-13 years, it deserves it.
This is the standard E85/E86 Sports seat. (Same for non-Alpina) I've been quoted £140 per seat locally (Bristol) for the labour to do it, by these guys. http://www.krychtrimming.co.uk/main.html , which includes seat removal and re-install.
I've got some prices from Sopers BMW, so I just thought it would be worthwhile sharing them, in case anyone else is wondering what the costs are.
Attachments
Seat Foam Quote.jpg
Seat Foam Quote.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 9637 times
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

pcube

Post by pcube » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am

To the OP, any way you could repost the pictures since photobucket is being a b*tch? Looking to take on this project and your help would be deeply appreciated...

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 pm

pcube wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am To the OP, any way you could repost the pictures since photobucket is being a b*tch? Looking to take on this project and your help would be deeply appreciated...
Done.

pcube

Post by pcube » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm

MrPT wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 pm
pcube wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am To the OP, any way you could repost the pictures since photobucket is being a b*tch? Looking to take on this project and your help would be deeply appreciated...
Done.
Thanks!!!

mark seeker

Post by mark seeker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 am

Number5 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 am I'm planning to do my Alpina seats over the next month or so, prior to this summers motoring, along with the steering wheel, as I think after 12-13 years, it deserves it.
This is the standard E85/E86 Sports seat. (Same for non-Alpina) I've been quoted £140 per seat locally (Bristol) for the labour to do it, by these guys. http://www.krychtrimming.co.uk/main.html , which includes seat removal and re-install.
I've got some prices from Sopers BMW, so I just thought it would be worthwhile sharing them, in case anyone else is wondering what the costs are.
Many thanks for sharing those prices, I was toying with buying a car but immediately changing the interior trim :D
Current - Ruby Black MR