Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How To Z4 / E85 M: Valve Adjustment / Spark Plug Replacement

swanicyouth

Post by swanicyouth » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:22 am

This is a "how to" regarding valve adjustment and spark plug replacement on a BMW E85 / Z4 M with the S54 engine. While there is a lot of DIY's on how to do this on E46 M3 - there are some subtle disassembly differences between the two vehicles. I have never seen anyone do a comprehensive DIY on the Z4 M of the the valve adjustment procedure. The small Z4 M community always has to refer to the M3 procedure.

My purpose in doing this is to assemble comprehensive documentation of this procedure on a Z4 M from start to finish. I want to make this DIY so comprehensive - that almost anyone at home can do it. My attempt here is to think of ALMOST anything that could go wrong - and how to avoid it. Also, I would like to assemble a large compendium of information in one place regarding this procedure and the items needed to complete it.

I'd like to give a few words of advice about working on your own car. I've been fixing cars both professionally and at home for 25 years (no longer in the field). Nothing is more frustrating then breaking something, loosing something, or not having what you need on hand to complete the job. Take your time. Plan for multiple days to do more complicated work. Do not rush.

Breaking parts, connectors, wires, etc... can be an aggravating or costly (but mostly avoidable) disaster. Loosing bolts, breaking plastic rivets, or stripping threads means usually "rigging" up some fix that may not appear or work as the factory originally intended - or costing you more money and down time of your vehicle. Most of these "disasters", in my experience, can be avoided by taking your time, thinking things out, and treating everything like a fragile/costly and easily breakable part.

A job like this could likely be completed in 3-4 hours. I took my time, planned ahead, and purchased everything I could possibly need - and took about 8 hours over 2 days to do this job. While this is very slow work (I was also taking pictures and documenting for this article) - not a single connector, rivet, bolt, etc... was stripped, broken, or lost. It's my car - so I want it to be perfect and don't want any headaches in the process. Since I took my time - I know everything was done right and had no issues.

****Some Background

Valves open and close to let fuel into the engine and spent exhaust gasses out. Most vehicles today have hydraulic valve lifters that do not require adjustment. The S54 has solid lifters - therefore they require periodic adjustment. BMW recommends adjusting the valve clearances during every Inspection I & II. When exactly these inspections are required will vary based on the vehicle - as they are determined by the gallons of fuel the vehicle uses. Each inspection usually will fall somewhere between 20-30k miles.

Why do you have to adjust valves? Valve lash/clearance (the "play" or distance between the cam shaft and the rocker arm on S54) is critical for a number of reasons. If the valve is "too tight" (not enough lash) the valve will not seat on the valve seat for long enough - possibly causing the valve to burn (exhaust valves more likely here) and wear quickly . If the valves are "too loose" (too much lash) the engine will not "breath well" and poor performance and fuel economy will result. The valve train will also be noisy and excessive valve train wear will occur. Both situations can mean your engine will wear faster and run poorly.

How do you adjust valve "lash" or clearance on the S54? Valve clearance is adjusted on the S54 by replacing variable size "shims"/"pucks"/tappets between the valve tip and the rocker arm. For continuity sake - I will just call these "shims" from now on. All the valves come from the factory with a shim between the valve and the rocker arm. You are not determining if a shim is needed or not - but WHAT shim is needed - if the valves are out of spec. Any shim removed can be reused (assuming it's not burnt or damaged) if it's the correct thickness for another valve.

****Some Special Things You Need to Accomplish This Job

1. Drei Bond 1209/generic RTV:

Drei Bond 1209 is the RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) non solvent type silicone based sealant BMW recommends for the 2 half moon cutouts in the back of the head and the area where the head meets the VANOS (specifics on this later). This sealant is used between the head surface and the valve cover. "Drei" means "three" in German - so sometimes this product is referred to as Three/3 Bond 1209. The problem is - this stuff seems to be no longer available from BMW. In doing a little research on this product I found that it may or may not actually be available from BMW in The USA... However, Porsche also recommends this product and it's available from multiple Porsche websites. I believe the Porsche part number is: 000-043-203-73

An alternate RTV I've seen quoted was 3M 8661 and Loctite 80036/(PX66BR). For whatever reason, the Loctite number seems to bring up a valve grinding compound when you Google it. The 3M product doesn't look particularly appetizing to me - as it says you can use it on wood and all kinds of junk. So, since an RTV like product will be needed to do this job - I'd recommend just getting what is printed in BMW TIS - Drei Bond 1209.

Of course, Drei Bond 1209 cost a boat load of money (~ $30-$40 an ounce), compared to a tube of Permatex RTV from Pep Boys (~ $7 for multiple ounces). Will it make a difference wether you use Drei Bond 1209 or Permatex? Maybe so - maybe not. But, if going the Pep Boys/Permatex route, I'd recommend the best spec'ed RTV they have.

Some specs on Drei Bond 1209:

*1209 Non-solvent type silicone-based
-Offers the most excellent heat resistance among silicone-based sealants.
-Contains very little volatile low molecular siloxane (less than 0.03%).
-Does not corrode copper and copperbased alloys.
-Temperature resistant up to 200° C (~ 390° F).

2. Multiple cans of Brake Kleen (or generic):

I'm just going to call all brake cleaning products Brake Kleen - because that is just what I call it. I can tell you this stuff is almost a necessity to clean oil 100% off gasket mating surfaces so they are contaminate free before re-assembling. Oil on the gasket / gasket surface may mean your RTV may not cure correctly or your gasket may leak. So, in my book, this is an important step. Brake Kleen is so useful because it quickly removes most/all oil and grease and leaves no residue (vaporizes/flashes off 100%). That being said, a single can doesn't seem to go very far for me at least - so I always keep several.

Brake Kleen comes in two common types: chlorinated and non-chlorinated. If you happen to be in the state of California, I believe your only choice is the non-chlorinated type if sourced within state legally. It's my opinion that the chlorinated stuff just works better. However, do not use the chlorinated stuff around welding or anything hot that will cause the chlorinated Brake Kleen to rapidly give off vapors creating *PHOSGENE GAS*. Phosgene gas was used by various participants of WWI as a poisonous gas / weapon of war ("poison gas"). So, do not use this stuff in closed doors, around heat, and do not breath this stuff in.

Chlorinated Brake Kleen has also been shown to be carcinogenic (banned in CA) and can damage certain plastics and possibly paint. It is also flammable, whereas non-chlorinated Brake Kleen isn't as flammable (still flammable) - and is kinder to plastics/paint. While chlorinated Brake Kleen is worse for your health and worse for the environment - I'll still grab it over the non-chlorinated stuff every time. I don't use it much, breath it in, spray it in my mouth and eyes, or spray it on my paint.

3. Micrometer:

A micrometer is necessary to measure the thickness of the valve shim you take out - so you can figure out what size shim you need to put in. The micrometer I'm using is the 0-1" Mechanical Micrometer from Harbor Freight Tools. While Harbor Freight isn't known for their precision tool manufacturing, I did a little research on this micrometer and it actually tests quite accurate. Cost is about $22. I would not recommend using a micrometer bigger than 1" for this job.

The HF micrometer is sold as being accurate to 0.0001" (that's one TEN thousandths of an inch - or one piece of an inch broken up into ten thousand parts). I wouldn't spend too much on a micrometer. Units like this are considered accurate to 1/10,000". The clearance that needs to be measured here is 1/1000" (one ONE thousandths of an inch) - so most micrometers in the 1" range should be accurate enough. Another nice thing about this unit is it comes with an analogue reading display on the side. The micrometer zeroed out perfectly right out of the box for me. But it does include a little wrench in the case to adjust it if need be.

BMW actually specs the valve clearances in metric. It's easy enough to flip flop back and forth using an inch to millimeter converter which is easy enough to find on Google. I am choosing to do my measurements in standard opposed to metric. The reason for this is the micrometer I choose reads in standard measurement. While places like Harbor Freight do sell micrometers that have digital read outs on the side in standard AND metric - the actual barrel readings can only be calibrated one way. I prefer to check both readings to make sure the tool is consistent. I do not like relying on digital read outs for work like this. I found it a bit difficult to locally source a true metric barrel reading micrometer at the cost of this unit. However, for the easily confused - it may be worth ordering one online or just picking up one with a digital readout that can convert to metric for simplicity sake.

4. Feeler Gauges:

I would recommend getting a set of "bent" or angled feeler gauges. These are just easier to get between the cam and the rocker arm to measure valve clearance. However, you likely want to find a set that has all the feeler gauges between the range of the valve clearance specifications and then some. Intake spec is 0.007" - 0.009" (0.18-0.23 mm). Exhaust spec is 0.011" - 0.013" (0.28mm - 0.33mm). So, in my opinion, a set that has ALL the numbers from at least 0.005" - 0.015" is a good bet. Surprisingly, most feeler gauge sets do not have all the consecutive numbers in that range. They may not even have your target numbers (0.008" & 0.012"). However, a bent/angled set that does isn't too hard to find.

Most (if not all) feeler gauges have both metric and standard readings stamped on them. So, this usually isn't an issue. The set I decided to go with was easily sourced locally at Pep Boys. It's OEM brand tools #25349 Offset Feeler Gauge 16 Blades. It contains all feeler gauges from 0.005" (0.13 mm) to 0.020" (0.51 mm) - all the sizes you will need. I think it cost about $7.

5. Torque Wrench:

This may be optional - depending on your opinion. I've replaced valve cover gaskets on BMW inline 6 engines multiple times before and have never used a torque wrench. For those that may not know, a torque wrench is a tool to tighten a bolt to a specific torque or "tightness". There are manufacturer specs for the torque of the valve cover bolts ( ~ 8 ft/lbs * 10mm bolts), spark plugs (~ 20 ft lbs), and the banjo oil bolt (18 ft lbs * 17mm bolt) on the side of the valve cover. However, knowing when to stop tightening the valve cover bolts is pretty easy; as they sort of "bottom out". The banjo bolt is also pretty easy to figure out how tight is tight enough. The important thing here is not to over tighten either one of these/any bolts - as the last thing you want to do is snap a bolt.

The torque wrench I use for spark plugs and the banjo bolt is a cheap 3/8" one from Harbor Freight (~ $22). Again, it surprisingly reviews pretty accurate by numerous reviewers who have tested it - especially great for the price. The manufacturer claims accuracy +/- 4% and the range of the 3/8" size is 5-80 ft/lbs. This makes it usable for most wheels (~ 80 ft lbs) and most regular bolts. You can get a torque wrench that is more precise than 4% accuracy. Most torque wrenches are not quite as accurate at their lower measurements (~ 15-20% off at the lowest 20% of their scale) However, plan to spend 3-8x as much. I don't know if I would be using the Harbor Freight torque wrench to torque rod or main bearings - but I bought it mainly to ballpark most car wheel lugs. Of course, it would be ideal to have a torque wrench in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2".... However, a 3/8" is a good compromise if you only want to buy one for general work. When working with a torque wrench always handle it gently and torque bolts slowly.

6. 1/2" drive 32mm Socket & 1/2" Drive Long Handle Ratchet:

Not too much to say here. You will need a 32mm socket to turn the crankshaft bolt. That in turn will turn the timing chain which will turn the cams - so you can adjust the valves while they are unloaded. You can get any generic 32mm socket at most Pep Boys type places.

Early S54 engines do not have a 32mm bolt at the crankshaft. They have four protruding external Torx head type bolts. You can not use a 32mm socket to turn the crankshaft with this set up. You should be able to use a 36mm 12 point 1/2" drive socket, or BMW has a special tool for this: BMW crankshaft turning socket (83-30-0-491-056). However, these where not fitted to any Z4 M cars - only early E46 M.

The job will be much easier with a long 1/2" handle ratchet. This is because the crankshaft is at the bottom of the engine, and on E85 M it's pretty hard to reach your hand down there. Also, a longer handle ratchet will give you more leverage turning the engine. A long handle ratchet helps a lot. The one I'm using is from Harbor Freight as well. It's 1/2" drive with a telescoping handle. It extends to 17" and costs about $17. It's more than enough to do this job. You will also need a 1/2" extension that is about 2.5" long.

7. BMW S54 Valve Adjustment Kit & Shim Installer Tool

The "shim kit" comes with shims you need to adjust valve lash on the S54 engine. The BMW part number is: shim set #11340031525. The kit comes with 6 shims of 23 sizes (138 shims) in a case with space for 6 extra shims. The BMW part number for the shim installer tool is: #83300493743. Each different size of shim has a BMW part number as well. The tool is a bent magnetized "stick" that allows you to easily pick up the valve shim from the top of the valve via magnetism once the rocker arm is unlocked and slid over. It is also used to install the new shim.

Some have fabricated their own tool using various things and a magnet. It's not worth the hassle for me - so I'd just recommend getting the pre-made tool. The tool is important - as the last thing you want to do is to loose a shim in the engine compartment or in the actual engine (gasp!) somewhere.

I've seen the shim kits online priced anywhere from $390-$600. So prices vary - shop around. Picking up a used shim kit may be a viable option - but you may want to find out if the kit is complete or what shims are missing first. Since replacement of a shim leaves you with an old shim to store in your kit - the kit may look "complete"; but may contain "old shims" of various sizes. Using "old shims" is no problem; as long as the are of the correct thickness and do not look dished or especially worn (unlikely - unless they came from an oil starved engine).

Shims can also be purchased individually from BMW in all the sizes the kit contains. However, this will likely require ordering shims from the dealer or online, unless you know of a dealer that stocks all the shim sizes. This also will likely require the car being down for several days while you are waiting for your shims. Another point is, while the shims are pre-measured in certain sizes and you should get a shim exactly the size that is stamped on it -this may not always be the case. Sometimes the shim you need may be on the borderline and the shim you order may be a hair off. So, this puts you back to square one ordering another shim if the clearance isn't correct.

To me, it's just not worth it. So, if you can afford it and plan on keeping your S54 vehicle - I'd just buy the whole set. Another point is, used shim kits sell on eBay for almost the price of a new kit. So, worse case scenario is you could sell it after using it for almost what you paid for it. If you want to keep the kit "complete" - you can order replacement shims from BMW to make up for the shims you use during your adjustment.

While the price of the shim kit is a bit costly, there are alternatives (generics). This is up to you if you "trust" these shims are just as good. I have read they are - but can't vouch for them myself. The popular alternative shim kit is from WiseCo (VSK4) and costs about $40.

8. Other Stuff

You will also need common hand tools: ratchets, extensions, screwdrivers, pliers, sockets, Torx sockets, parts brush, small picks, and a 5/8" spark plug socket with rubber holder inside (almost all these sockets have this). I also recommend picking up some type of small plastic scraper to remove the little bit of RTV that will stick on the head once the valve cover is removed. Pick up a few rolls of mechanics disposable towels as well. Small plastic baggies are good to place your nuts and bolts in to keep them separate, organized, and from getting lost.

You should also get a small tube of anti-seize for the spark plug threads and some di-electric grease for the spark plug boots. I'd also recommend a tube of engine assembly grease to aid in holding the shims in place on top of the valve while you reinstall the rocker arms. Having a paint pen, Sharpie, or wax crayon is also a good idea - in case there is anything you want to mark (connectors, coils, etc...). Lay everything out you will need before starting and work in a clean and organized environment.

9. Parts

You will need some parts to complete the job. The valve cover gasket is technically reusable, but I think it's a better idea just to replace it - along with the 15 grommets that go with its mounting. I also recommend picking up one of each of the two types of valve cover fastener assemblies (nuts/studs along with washers) in case one is inadvertently broken or dropped and lost in the engine compartment during disassembly. They are only a few dollars.

The brass crush washers for the oil feed banjo bolt are single use and need to be replaced. You will also need 6 new spark plugs. I recommend buying all BMW brand parts to save yourself any headache of dealing with aftermarket parts that are close - but not close enough.

BMW part numbers:

Valve cover gasket (1): 11 12 7 832 034
Rubber seal / grommet (13): 11 12 7 830 972
Rubber seal / grommet (2) 11 12 1 437 395
Cap nut assembly (extra stud/washer/grommet for valve cover in case lost): 11 12 7 838 078
Cap nut assembly (extra nut/washer/grommet for valve cover in case lost): 11 12 7 838 075
Profile (spark plug) gasket (6): 11 12 7 831 271
Gasket ring / copper washers: (at least 2): 07 11 9 963 129
BMW shim kit (1): 11 34 0 031 525
BMW shim installation tool (1): 83 30 0 493 743
Spark plugs [NGK DCPR8EKP] (6): 12 12 0 022 902

Most of what you'll need (minus basic hand tools, di-electric grease, torque wrench, and engine assembly grease):

BMW Shim Kit:

S54 Z4 M Roadster:

****Procedure:

First, it's always recommended to disconnect the battery when working on or disconnecting anything electrical. Make sure you either remove the keys from the vehicle or leave the window open before disconnecting the battery. In the Z4 M the battery is in the trunk. First thing to do is raise the rear deck lid shelf by turning both nobs up. This will give you access to the mobility kit and then the battery cover top bolts:

Then remove the mobility kit and air pump from the top of the battery cover. These are held on by Velcro straps and easily removed by undoing the Velcro.

Pieces removed and set aside in trunk:

Now, remove the three 10mm bolts holding the top part of the battery tray to the car. Two have been removed in the picture:

Next, remove the 3 plastic screw rivets holding the battery cover on. These have a phillips head and 10 mm socket head built into one. These can be tough to remove completely without breaking. The best way I have found to do this is to use a 10mm 1/4" drive socket to loosen the plastic screw until it doesn't want to turn any more or starts to push in from pressure from the socket. Then, unscrew it the rest of the way by putting a towel over your fingers and using your hands - while gently pulling out on the rivet head.

3 plastic rivets location:

Rivet:

Set bolts and rivets aside in trunk pocket:

Now you can remove battery cover by slightly lifting up and pulling out on it.

Removed:

Now, disconnect and set aside the negative battery cable (brown) using a 10 mm socket or wrench:

It will be necessary to remove the plastic BMW radiator cover trim and the electric cooling fan on Z4 M to gain access to the crankshaft pulley bolt (necessary to rotate engine). The trim piece is held on by 8 plastic rivets (red in photo - phillips head) and 2 metal Torx bolts (green in photo - T 30 Torx). Remove these as noted in photo:

These plastic rivets are exposed to engine heat and dirt and can be extra difficult to remove without breaking. They are phillips head only and similar to the rivets holding the battery tray in the trunk. I have found the best way to remove these is to turn them as far as they will go with a screwdriver (phillips), then place a towel over your hand and try to remove - like the trunk rivets. As a last resort, if one is extra difficult, gently grip the head and turn with pliers while pulling up:

If your pulling up with pliers or your fingers covered with a towel while unscrewing a rivet, it will come out in one piece (plastic rivet head and base).

Remove the T30 metal Torx bolts (2):

After this the plastic cover will come up giving you access to the electric fan. Plastic cover and fasteners removed:

You now have access to remove the electric cooling fan:

First, disconnect the 2 electrical connectors on the top of the fan (left and right side):

Side aside the connecting wires. The cooling fan is held on the car by one plastic push rivet (driver's side) and one metal screw (Torx T27 - passenger's side) only. Remove the plastic rivet head (slide fit - no threads) by gently prying it away with one or two flat head screwdrivers. Then, once there is a gap between the rivet head and the base, pull the head/stem out with needle nose pliers utilizing the gap space:

The plastic rivet head/stem will likely come out by itself. After its removal, gently pry out the base with a small flat head screwdriver or pick. Be careful not to drop it:

Now, remove the Torx T 27 screw from attaching the cooling fan to the car. This screw can be delicate and tight to remove. Be careful no to strip the Torx head:

If the Torx head gets harder/tighter to remover once initially broken free, remove the rest of the way by gently by gripping screw head with pliers and rotating loose, as not to strip the Torx head. Now, the electric fan is free to be removed from the vehicle. Carefully lift it up and out. Both the radiator hoses and a thin plastic coolant pipe will be slightly in your way. Be extremely carefully of the plastic coolant pipe, as noted in photo:

Plastic rivet and T 27 Torx fasteners that hold fan to vehicle:

Cooling fan coming out:

Now you will have space to access to he crankshaft 32mm bolt required to turn the engine:

This is the view of the 32mm socket, small extension, and long 1/2" drive ratchet on crankshaft bolt:

After this, remove the plastic breather vent tube from valve cover and intake plenum. This is done by first removing the electrical connector on the solenoid by pushing down on the metal connector retainer while pulling the connector out. Do not remove the metal retainer clip from the connector - pushing down on it will release the connector.

Then, remove the vent tube. Squeeze the end connectors on the tube as directed in the photo below. Gently pull and wiggle the ends of the tube and pull up. This plastic is delicate and can easily break - be careful:

All disconnected:

Early M3s do not have the electrical solenoid on the breather vent hose - so on these you simply can remove the hose and set it aside. I believe all Z4 M has the solenoid, and it's hose is connected to a pipe via rubber tubing with factory clamps. I recommend not messing with these clamps and simply holding it out of the way during the work with a screwdriver (it will stay put):

Despite appearance, the black textured plastic piece you see with the "M" logo in the front is not the valve cover. It's a plastic engine cover hiding a bunch of wiring for the coils, oxygen sensors, etc... This cover is held on by six 10 mm metal nuts. Remove these nuts:

After removing the nuts, remove the plastic cover. It's necessary to remove the oil cap to remove the plastic cover. When the cover is removed, reinstall the oil cap on the aluminum valve cover, to prevent anything from falling in the engine. Reinstall the oil cap on the valve cover until it's time to reinstall the plastic engine cover during reassembly.

Note, on Z4 M, at no point from this point on is necessary to disconnect any electrical connectors other than the connectors to the actual ignition coils themselves. The wires harness' can be moved out of the way for access without disconnecting anything else.

Push in the 2 sets of retaining clips holding the harness, then gently rock the harness loose - but do not completely remove it out of the way:

Now, remove two 8 mm harness connector retaining bolts at the top end intake side of valve cover. Also, gently and careful free the wires (as circled in photo) from their metal guides in valve cover:

Remove harness wires in back of valve cover from all similar guides:

After that, remove rubber grommets that allow harness to pass through engine cover and valve cover:

Now, it is possible to lift wire harness away and set it aside as shown:

All you are left with now is the coil pack harness. It is held on with the same 8 mm bolts holding the other harness' connectors. Remove the bolts:

Once the bolts are removed, unlock each coil pack connector by lifting up on the retainer to unlock the connector:

All coil packs unlocked and all 8 mm harness retainer bolts removed:

The last thing required to remove this harness is to remove the ground strap (lower in photo) which bolts to the side of the engine block (13 mm):

At this point you are able to remove the coil pack harness completely from the valve cover. Place it towards the back of the engine out of the way as shown:

Remove the 6 ignition coils by placing a long extension or bar through the holes on their tops - while gently pulling up and wiggling slightly. Some force is required to remove the coils, they are press fit into the head:

While there is no real reason to do so, I recommend numbering each coil (1-6) so they can be placed back in their original cylinder:

The last thing to do before removing the valve cover is to remove the oil return line. This is a hollow 17 mm banjo bolt with two copper gaskets between it and the the valve cover:

It's very easy to drop the inner copper gasket down into the engine compartment when removing this bolt - unless it sticks to the valve cover. I wouldn't worry too much if it drops - since you are replacing the copper gaskets with new ones during re-assembly.

Once that bolt is removed, you can remove the thirteen 10 mm nuts and two 10 mm studs (15 total) that hold the valve cover to the head. Each nut/stud has a rubber grommet between it and the valve cover. After removing all the nuts/studs you want to remove these grommets from the valve cover with your fingers prior to attempting to remove the cover. The two 10 mm studs (different) are located in the front most portion of the valve cover in the outer locations.

Note the two studs have different (more shallow) grommets than the other 13 nuts. Here you can see the difference:

Each nut/stud assembly has 3 pieces: nut/stud, washer, and grommet:

Remove all 15 nuts/studs and the grommets (fingers). This is what the valve cover looks like when all removed:

Now the valve cover is unfastened. If the valve cover gasket is very old, it may be quite difficult to remove the valve cover from the engine head. The valve cover gaskets tend to get hard / plastic-like with age and almost act like dried glue to hold the valve cover onto the head. First, try rocking the valve cover gently side to side using the oil fill cap neck for leverage. Try to break the seal. If the valve cover can't be removed by this method, it may be necessary to try to insert a metal scraper between the valve cover gasket and valve cover:

Unfortunately, older valve cover gaskets can be quite tenacious at holding the valve cover on. While prying isn't an ideal method, if required, be sure to pry between the gasket and valve cover. While damaging anything is never planned - it's much cheaper to replace a gouged valve cover than a gouged head in the worse case scenario.

Once the valve cover is removed, clean it completely with Brake Kleen and a parts brush. Inspect the mating surfaces for any imperfections or gouges that may cause an oil leak after reassembly. Be aware, there are six spark plug chamber sealing gaskets (rings) between the valve cover and the head. Make sure all of these are retrieved and removed. They may stick to the head or the valve cover.

After that, remove all the spark plugs. Removing the plugs isn't 100% required to adjust the valves, but it's a part of Inspection II and the crankshaft rotates much easier with the plugs removed (no compression).

After removing each plug, stuff towel(s) down the spark plug tubes to ensure nothing can fall into the combustion chamber during the procedure.

Engine at this point:

This engine is quite clean. No sludge or even any dark staining on the aluminum or the valve cover. I attribute this to 5,000 mile oil change intervals using the correct BMW TWS group IV base stock oil. This engine has 49k miles on it.

Now is a good time to check the exhaust hub tabs. For those not familiar, the 3.2 S54 has a somewhat known issue of the tabs breaking on the exhaust camshaft that drives the vanos oil pump hub. One or both of the tabs may break. If both tabs break, the oil pump will not turn - and a check engine light will be activated. If one tab breaks - the pump will still turn, so it may be possible for the driver to be unaware.

It may be required to turn the engine via the crankshaft so you can easily see the two tabs together. This engine turns clockwise. I recommend only turning it in this direction. Here is what it should look like:

If either of the two circled tabs are broken, the exhaust hub will need to be replaced. It's also recommended to replace the camshaft sprocket bolts and possibly rebuilding the vanos unit at the same time with new O-rings.

Now everything is apart, you are ready to check and adjust valve clearance. There are multiple ways (orders) to go about it. The way I do it and recommend is to check and shim the valves as you go. The basic procedure is to rotate the engine clockwise, via your 32mm socket, on the crankshaft so the specific camshaft lobe of the cylinder you are working on is not engaging the valve (lobe facing up).

At this point, the valve is completely closed, and there is a small space between the rocker arm and the cam shaft. This space is valve clearance. This is the space you will be measuring. BMW TIS does not make it clear if you should measure the space between the cam and the rocker or the rocker and the valve shim. It is possible to measure either.

However, it's my opinion it does not matter. Since the rocket arm pivots - the space should be the same dimension. I do believe the common procedure is to measure the space between the cam and the rocker arm. If the space is too big - you will remove the current shim and replace it with a thicker shim. If the space is to small, you will remove the current shim and install a thinner shim in its place.

When one camshaft lobe (intake / exhaust) is in the correct position to be checked - another lobe on the opposite cam shaft (but, not directly opposite side) will also be in the correct position to check. So, I decided to start at intake valve one, move to six - and check the specific exhaust valve that was in the correct position along the way.

Once a valve is found to be out of spec, it is necessary to remove the current shim and measure it. Once the current shim is measured, you can use that dimension to determine the size of the correct new shim you need. I'll try to give an example using easy numbers. Say the valve clearance should be 2. So, you measure the clearance and find its 3 (too big). Then, you remove the shim and find its 9. Since you want to make the clearance 1 unit less (less clearance), you want a 10 shim (bigger) in place of the 9. Make sense?

I have seen numerous spread sheets people have made on various BMW forums that can make this procedure documentable and more logical. I "borrowed" one from somewhere online a while ago (can't recall where) - I did not make this spread sheet. However, I did add the standard spec tolerances to the top of each side. I would like to give credit to the person who made this, I just can't recall where I got it from:

Clearances can be measured in standard or metric units. I choose to just use standard units because I had a standard only micrometer available. This requires converting to metric - as the shims are marked and organized from BMW in metric sizes. It's probably easier to do everything in metric, but if you choose to flip flop back and forth, there are several converters you can use on your smart phone, simply Google "inches to mm". Most feeler gauge sets are marked in both units.

So, here you can see me checking an intake valve that is out of spec. Note the 0.011" feeler gauge fits between the cam and the rocker, but the spec is 0.007" to 0.009". This means the space is too large and I will need a thicker shim to take up the extra space. The feeler gauge should fit - but the next size bigger should not. Start at the next smaller size, and keep inserting the feeler gauges at bigger sizes until one will not fit easily. Don't jamb it in there. There should be a slight drag on the blade.

Now that you know a specific valve will need adjustment, it will be necessary to cover the plastic oil screens in the head in proximity to that valve.

Here is what the screen looks like:

The LAST thing you want to happen is to have a shim fall into the engine through the screen to a point where it can't be retrieved without engine disassembly. The magnetic BMW valve shim tool does hold the shim quite well. The magnet is pretty strong, so once you have hold of it, it's unlikely the shim will drop unless you bang it on something.

I also recommend covering the head up to the point you are working (front to back) with a towel before you start removing a shim. Here is how I protected the engine to avoid disaster:

Now, you must remove the rocker arm retaining ring from the rocker arm shaft, so you can slide the rocker away to remove the shim. This piece is quite simple to remove - you simply grasp it with your hands and pull up. It's press fit around the rocker arm shaft by 2 preloaded semi-circles on the rocker shaft.

Retainer ring removed:

Now the retaining ring is removed, the rocker arm can slide over to gain access to he shim. The rocker will slide easily away, and it's possible to just slide it over enough so it gives you access to the shim, but is still resting on the edge of the valve (not pictured). Slide the rocker arm over with a thin flathead screwdriver from the area near the rocker shaft.

Now you have access to the shim. This is what things will look like:

At this point, get the BMW shim tool to remove the shim utilizing the magnet on the bottom of the tool. Here is a photo of the process (note: photo taken from procedure on a different cylinder here).

It's rather important to not drop or loose the factory shim at this point. The reason is, you will need to measure the old shim to figure out what size new shim to install. I will walk you though the actual process.

So, here I am measuring the factory shim with my micrometer:

As you can see, the shim is 0.0875" (2.22 mm) thick. Since I need a thicker shim here, I have to determine how much thicker I need the new shim to be. I know that the valve is only about 0.003" (0.011" actual - [0.007"-0.009" spec]) out of spec. So, I'm shooting for a shim that is about 0.003" thicker - so I want a shim about 0.0905" (~ 2.30 mm). Here you can see the available shim sizes are listed on the shim kit:

As you can see, there is no available shim that is exactly 2.30 mm thick. The closest you have is 2.28 mm or 2.32 mm. In my opinion, it's best to choose the thinner shim in this case. My reasoning is, it's always better for the valve to be a bit looser in spec than too tight - which could cause the valve to run hot. However, as long as you get it in spec it shouldn't matter.

So, now you retrieve the correct size new shim from the shim kit. The shims are organized in the kit in the order designated on the lid. It's easiest to remove the shims from the kit is using the BMW valve shim magnetic tool. Once you obtain the new shim, it's time to install it with the tool. I recommend putting a tiny drop of engine assembly lube grease on the bottom of the shim to help hold it in place on top of the valve. Note: there is no "top" or "bottom" of the shim - both sides are the same. One side does have the metric size stamped on it from BMW. But, it does not matter if this faces up or down.

Install the new shim as you removed the old. Be careful here not to drop it. It's best to work from the passenger side of the vehicle kneeling down over the passenger side fender so you can view the shim's correct location as you install it. There is a tiny bore that the shim sits in on top of the valve. Once you have it seated with the tool, slowly and gently drag the tool away, while lightly pressing down on the tool/shim - releasing its magnetic hold on the shim.

New shim in place:

Now it's time to reinstall the rocker arm and the retaining shaft by sliding it back to it's original position. The easiest way to install the arm is to lift it with your fingers from the front of the cam shaft like this and then slide it back to its original position. Keep an eye on the shim while doing this to ensure it's not knocked out of the correct position on the valve.

Before reinstalling the retaining ring, recheck the valve clearance. Make sure the new shim is bottomed out on the valve where it sits by gently pushing down on it using a pick or a small flathead screwdriver. The new valve clearance is 0.009" - in spec.

Once you are satisfied the valve is in spec - reinstall the retaining ring. It simply presses back down with your hands back on the rocker arm shaft. Now, just repeat the procedure on each valve out of spec - rotating the engine prior to get the cam lobe facing up on the cylinder(s) you are working on.

After all the valves are checked and the necessary adjustments are made, it's time to remove the towels from the spark plug cylinders and install the new spark plugs. Before installing, place a small amount of anti-seize on the plug threads and a thin layer of di-electric grease on the porcelain insulator portion of the plugs:

Reinstall the spark plugs being careful to not cross thread or strip the threads. The spark plugs should be torqued to about 20 ft lbs. Tighten them semi-tight first, then go around with a torque wrench to torque each one. As the plugs get tighter, you will feel the metal gasket washers on the spark plugs starting to crush. This is normal and almost feels like threads stripping - but it's not the case.

Now, once the plugs are installed, it's time to clean the gasket mating surface on the head. Use Brake Kleen to clean the oil off the surfaces. Pay special attention to clean off all the factory RTV in the designated reinstallation locations. Use a plastic scraper or a wood rod to remove the old gasket remnants. Don't use a screwdriver or anything metal - you don't want to gouge the head.

Factory RTV:

After everything is clean, place your Drei Bond 1209 / RTV on the head at the designated locations as a thin bead. Less is more here. You only need a small bead.

Now, carefully install the new valve cover gasket on the head. The new gasket has six protruding tabs that fit into holes on the head that hold the gasket in place. Make sure these tabs are seated in the corresponding holes in the head.

Closeup of a tab on the old gasket:

Once the gasket is in place, reinstall the valve cover. It's a tight fit, as there is a plastic tube that parallels the fuel injector rail that holds wires for the injectors. This tube prevents the valve cover from just getting put straight down on the head (valve cover is flared) without interference. I recommend tilting the valve cover with the rear end lower and fitting the rear and the side closer to the fuel injectors first. Be sure not to disturb the positioning of the gasket.

When the valve cover is correctly sitting on the the gasket on the head, install the the new grommets and the fasteners (nuts/studs with washers) that retain it. I recommend installing the nuts/studs, washer, and grommet as one single piece. The pressure from the rubber grommet will hold all 3 pieces together as a unit - this will prevent you from dropping one of the three parts.

Keep in mind the very front outer locations of the valve cover is where the 2 studs go, also the grommets are different (thinner) at these locations. While there is a torque spec for these fasteners (7 ft lbs), I don't recommend using a torque wrench here. Simply tighten the bolts in two stages in a criss cross pattern. You will know when they are sufficiently tightened, as you will feel the fasteners bottom out.

Now it's time to reinstall the oil return line back onto the valve cover. As you will recall, there are 2 copper crush washers on this line. I find this the only real difficult part of the job. The difficulty for me is holding the new inner copper washer (closer to valve cover) without dropping it while feeding in the banjo bolt. The clearance is tight between the feed line and the valve cover and the copper gasket is smaller than the round head of the feed line. It's very easy to drop the inner copper washer while you are positioning the banjo bolt with the outer washer back into position. You have to keep all this in place while getting the threads engaged on the banjo bolt into the valve cover.

A sure way to complete this task without dropping the inner copper washer, is to use a long wire tie, fishing string, or a piece of strong thread to aid you. Thread the wire tie through the copper gasket. Then use your one hand to hold the copper gasket in place from above while getting the banjo bolt into position like this:

Get the threads of the banjo bolts started in the threads in the valve cover - while still holding the inner copper washer in place. The copper washer is loose enough on the banjo bolt that you can spin and manipulate the bolt with the wire tie still holding the copper washer from above. The oil feed line is stiff and held in place by a shield. It does not move around well, so the wire tie really helps when you are getting the thread started.

I recommend this procedure, as if you drop the inner washer, it will fall in the shield surrounding the feed line and down into the engine compartment - never to be seen again. The washers are single use and cheap - so you may want to buy a few extra in case you drop one. If you drop one - just leave it. It's external to the engine and there is no real need to attempt to retrieve it. Once you are sure the threads are started sufficiently to hold everything in place, simply cut the wire tie with a pair of cutting pliers and pull it away in 2 pieces. Now torque the banjo bolt to 18 ft lbs.

Reinstall the coils to the cylinders they came out of. They are a press fit. Install a bit of di-electric grease in the coils where they sit on the spark plugs. Make sure the round top part of the coil is correctly sitting on the head and not pinched or folded under so there is a tight seal.

Reinstall the coil wire harness at this point. When reinstalling the connectors to each coil, flip the flip top retainer on the coil top down. Then reinstall the harness 8 mm mounting bolts.

Now, reinstall the other harness you removed out of the way. Install the grommets of the harness back into the valve cover as the originally sat:

Tighten the two 8 mm bolts that retain it:

During the harness reinstallation procedure, install the wires in their original guide retainers on the valve cover (pinch fit).

Reinstall the ground strap onto the head.

Now, check to make sure all wires are installed and routed correctly - not pinched or strained. There are no connectors to reconnect during the valve cover reinstallation process (except the coils) if you follow this procedure. Now, remove the oil cap from the valve cover and reinstall the plastic engine cover and the six chrome nuts that attach it. Reinstall the oil cap prior to installing the nuts. After that, reinstall the vent breather tube into the valve cover and intake (push fit). Don't forget to plug the solenoid on the vent tube to the electrical connector that goes to it.

Re-install the cooling fan and the two fasteners that hold it in place. Don't forget to install the two electrical connectors you disconnected on the cooling fan assembly during the removal process. Get the plastic cooling fan cover, lay it in place, and back out the two plastic Torx bolts that are part of the cover:

Now reinstall the 8 plastic rivets and 2 metal Torx bolts that hold the plastic cover on. The plastic rivets are best reinstalled by starting them a few threads with a screwdriver. Once they are "started" and you tighten them - the threads will usually reach a point where they get too tight to turn with a screwdriver and the phillips head will want to strip. Instead of keep trying to tighten these down and stripping the heads of the plastic rivets, just firmly press down on the rivet head with a towel and the rivets will seat in place. Tighten down the plastic T45 Torx bolts on the cover until they bottom out against the radiator.

Reconnect the negative cable of the battery in the trunk. Reinstall the battery cover and the 3 plastic rivets and three nuts that hold it in place. Treat the plastic rivets here like the front ones - just push them in forcefully when they don't want to screw in anymore easily. Now, reinstall the pump and the sealant from the M mobility kit that sits on top of the battery cover.

Start the vehicle.

Check for oil leaks and a CEL.

Now the job is complete.

Go for a ride and enjoy your car.

srhutch

Re: How To Z4 / E85 M: Valve Adjustment / Spark Plug Replace

Post by srhutch » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:04 am

That's one hell of a write up, and credit to you :thumbsup:

If it were me I would want to be concentrating on the job only :cry:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 am

Superb write up..

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 am

Really enjoyed reading through and checking through the photos - not a job I would undertake but great to see.

Thanks for posting and I hope it assists some members to do it themselves. :thumbsup:

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:53 am

Highly impressive write-up, made more difficult for you stopping and photographing each step, doubt that BMW's own technical write up comes even close.
Well done and thanks.
2.2R Toledo Blue

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:45 am

Superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

a340driver

Post by a340driver » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:08 pm

What a fabulous write up. Many thanks :thumbsup:

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Any chance your day job is a technical author?
2.2R Toledo Blue

swanicyouth

Post by swanicyouth » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:37 pm

ekimj10 wrote:Any chance your day job is a technical author?
No. Lol. I'm a pharmacist or a "chemist" as I believe they call it in the UK.

aliveankikin

Post by aliveankikin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Hey, did you copy this from a Haynes manual or something, if not you need to send it in, they will give you a job straight away lol....Brilliant
ImageImageImage

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Just wanted to comment that this is an excellent guide, thank you to the original poster 8) I'm midway through carrying out an Inspection 1 for the first time, it's a bit chilly outside at minus 2 this evening!

To add a couple of things:
I don't have any kind of solenoid on my M, as mentioned in the guide (one less thing to disconnect at least).
I'd advise saving money and not buying a complete kit of shims, instead I'd buy more of the sizes you'll most likely need in the range from 2.16 through to 2.32. I'm half way through my clearances and have so far only used 2.20 and 2.24 sizes (I've run out in fact!).

:)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.