Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DSC and Brake Pressure sensor replacement. E85

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Replaced pressure sensor 1 this morning (pressure sensor 1 fault code and yellow DSC and brake warning yellow also)
Pressure sensor 1 is the rear braking system and is the sensor closest to the font of the car. Pressure sensor 2 is the front braking system and is closest to the bulkhead.

Replacement with a second hand sensor was a literally a 2 minute job. Both pressure sensors are the same part and are shared with the E46 range so plenty available in breakers. New sensor IRO £95 btw.
Link to thread http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 1#p1028091

Place some one in car applying light pressure to the brake pedal during the removal.
Disconnect plug (ignition off)
Place rags under the sensor area to catch any brake fluid loss.
Unscrew the sensor (I used an adjustable with large jaw opening as access for a large adjustable is tight body is 27mm hex ) and immediately reinsert the replacement sensor. As quickly as possible to avoid fluid loss and air ingress.
Tighten and reconnect sensor plug (ignition off).
Start car. Move car checking brakes are functional first :!:
Switch off ignition and on second attempt with ignition back on the lights should be clear. Mine needed some movement of the car and ignition off and on again to reset.
:thumbsup:
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

robjonaldo

Re: DSC and Brake Pressure sensor replacement. E85

Post by robjonaldo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks for the write up. My sensors fault once every couple of months and the diagnostic is pointing to this.
Any need to bleed the system or change the fluid after fitting?

Toe-side

Re: DSC and Brake Pressure sensor replacement. E85

Post by Toe-side » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I haven't needed to. Brakes feel as before.
Its important to minimise time with the sensor out as fluid is slowly issuing due to the pressure on the pedal.
Once slackened the sensors spin off and on by hand/fingers so it can be done very quickly this minimises the chances of any air ingress.

:thumbsup:
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

dzajic

Post by dzajic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks for the writeup! I'm going to try this on my MY03 Z4 3.0i. The warning lights just started to come on recently, after the car was in storage for about 9 months.