Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Servo repair E85

R7VOX

Headlight Servo repair E85

Post by R7VOX » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi all.

I had an intermittent fault on my headlight alignment auto test when the ignition was placed into position 1. The headlight would dip and not return to the correct position, no matter how many times the ignition would be reset.

the only cure would be to take the back cover off the headlight assembly and wiggle the servo with the retaining screws relaxed.

I had ordered a replacement part to fit, but it is near impossible to remove the interior socket without stripping the headlight out, also the replacement was slightly different as well. the only way to fit it would be to join the cables and heatshrink etc...

I decided to take the motor apart and check to see if there was a fault that could be rectified.

So......

Remove the front wheel and associated covers to get better access.

Remove the 2 screws holding the servo in (Torx T15)

Gently remove the ball socket from the headlight main assembly by sliding towards the outside of the headlight. (You should see the channel it sits in).

Once released, you should be able to withdraw the whole assembly held in place now purely by the wires.

Now, you will need a small jewellers screwdriver to release the 4 small catches holding the plastic cover. looking carefully, the latches move outwards. so gently prize all 4 apart and the cover will come apart.

Once you have removed the cover, you should see this......

The plastic wire retainer literally just plugs into the motor housing. VERY VERY gently pull on this whilst prying the long lugs either side to release the wires from the motor. The pins holding the wires into place MUST stay with the motor body, NOT the plug. The pins on the motor Krone onto all the wires very similar to a BT phone socket.

On removal, you should now have all these parts

If you notice, one of the long lugs snapped on the retaining cover as the motor housing was quite brittle.

The motor is a very simple idea with 2 sets of coils of enamelled copper wire and a geared section attached to the core.

My actual motor had 2 loose pins which I believe was causing the problem. the wire was not attached correctly to the krones at the base. It was just touching which would give the intermittent fault.

I placed the coil section in the vice and clamped it just enough to hold in place.

As you can see (just) the krones are machined in. 1 was missing and to repair you will need to have enough cable to hold over the slot whilst you push the pin in with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I did not have enough cable to do this so in order to get a good length, I soldered a thicker piece of wire to the strand and pushed it through the small hole which would feed around the core and come out the other side, giving you the required length

Once this was done, hold the cable with one hand feeding it through the small plastic groove with the excess sitting out. push the small Krone back into place with just enough pressure, too much will buckle it!

Refitting all the parts in the reverse order of removal and test.

Amazingly, this seems to have cured my fault. So time will tell!

Hopefully this will be of use to fellow forum members out there, even if its how the actual thing is put together!

Tools needed.

T15 Torx
Needle Nose Pliers
Jewellers Screwdrivers (flat head)
Small vice

(soldering iron - thicker wire) for snapped windings

Apologies for the lack of photographs....

RJS-Z4

Re: Headlight Servo repair E85

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Perfect. My headlight decided it didn't want to go up and down just a few weeks ago, shame you're not local though, as it looks a bit fiddly for mechanical me :oops:
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Great write up and V interesting.

Intrigued to know why if the fix worked you PM'd me earlier tonight asking if you could have a spare motor from me?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 pm

You have a spare motor? Huh? What? Where? :poke:
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 pm

RJS-Z4 wrote:You have a spare motor? Huh? What? Where? :poke:

As per this thread:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ht#p897020
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Well in a thread crossing reply.. :rofl: I'm in no Hurry CJ, so if you have the spare and no one's already claimed it I'd love it. It'd save me trying to use my spanner monkey spec hands to try and fix this one!

Are they sided?

I'm guessing as mine makes no noise at all, it's that that's dead?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm out in Dublin but will take a look when I'm next home what I have.

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:21 pm

You're a very nice man. :thumbsup:

R7VOX

Post by R7VOX » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Great write up and V interesting.

Intrigued to know why if the fix worked you PM'd me earlier tonight asking if you could have a spare motor from me?
My friend had the same trouble and decided to mutilate the pins in the plug before I got a chance to look at it. The pins are far to small to solder unfortunately :(

R7VOX

Post by R7VOX » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:32 pm

RJS-Z4 wrote:Perfect. My headlight decided it didn't want to go up and down just a few weeks ago, shame you're not local though, as it looks a bit fiddly for mechanical me :oops:
If your ever lurking in Suffolk, drop by and I'll have a look!

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:42 pm

R7VOX wrote:
RJS-Z4 wrote:Perfect. My headlight decided it didn't want to go up and down just a few weeks ago, shame you're not local though, as it looks a bit fiddly for mechanical me :oops:
If your ever lurking in Suffolk, drop by and I'll have a look!
I actually have a job coming up in Norwich in the coming months... I had an issue with some wiring (to the dipped beam) on that side anyway, but if CJ sorts me out with another unit, I can test whether it's a fault unit or cable.

If my unit turns out to be fine I'll send it on to yourself, but I'm quite sure it's the motor.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 am

I have a spare motor for a xenon headlight if need be..