Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2.2 Litre M54 Alternator(Auxillary) belt replacement

fixit man

2.2 Litre M54 Alternator(Auxillary) belt replacement

Post by fixit man » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Changed my belt the other day, thought I'd do a write up on it, I couldn't find a write up for the 2.2 L without a/c.

Took me about an hour to do this as I didn't note the routing of the the belt, so a bit of head scratching, but It should only take about 20 Minutes to do.

OK so here goes :-

Tools needed... 16mm socket and bar or long ring spanner, 10mm socket & ratchet ,a screw driver or 6mm socket... & very dexterous hands.

First remove the Airbox (air filter housing for access, this has 2 x 10mm bolts for the mounting ....

and loosen the clamp on the pipe going to the filter Slotted or 6mm

Just pull the airbox out and leave it to one side I didn't disconnect the cable going to it, just be carefull not to put tension on it.

Now to the belt..mine has no A/C so easier, If yours has A/C then you need to remove that belt first.

Also make a note of the belt routing or see ....http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ve-picture (mine was picture R11 0800 but without the A/C.

There is a 16 mm hex drive on the belt tensioner..see photo

Turn that clockwise(looking from the front) this releases the tension on the belt, while holding it remove the belt with your other hand.

Installation is a bit tricky routing the belt and holding the tensioner, best to put most of the belt on and just leave one pulley with the belt off & then when you have tension on the hex drive fit the final part of the belt.

The airbox going back in ..I found it easier to split the box it fits in easier into the front rubber duct(see photo )

After everything is installed start the engine and then shut it down and check the the belt is positioned properly
Last edited by fixit man on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 2.2 Litre M54 Alternator(Auxillary) belt replacement

Post by andysat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 pm

You made that look easy! :)
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

fixit man

Re: 2.2 Litre M54 Alternator(Auxillary) belt replacement

Post by fixit man » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 am

andysat wrote:You made that look easy! :)
It wasn't though, but would have been if I had noted the routing of the belt properly :headbang: