Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HOWTO: Fix wiper resting point issues

bladeowner

HOWTO: Fix wiper resting point issues

Post by bladeowner » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks sk93 :thumbsup: Just done this and cured my wiper parking issue. I also removed the strut braces to be able to get to the centre plastic screws in step 6 easier.

Before:

Last edited by bladeowner on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Re: HOWTO: Fix wiper resting point issues

Post by Grumpyowl » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Another thank you for this how to.

In preparation for having a new windscreen tomorrow, ( not ins claim I'm paying, changing for cosmetic reasons.)
I thought I would spend an hour to do this, on single wipe my wipers park (rest) too high on the screen.

I didn't remove the strut braces as per Bladeowner, it took a little under an hour and everything now works perfect.
Another of those little jobs that spoil the enjoyment of the car but always get put off for another day.
Well worth the effort to do this :thumbsup:

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:00 am

Here's another link to http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... lty-wipers Bimmerforums discussing the same issue just in case it is slightly different and maybe helps someone.
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for this. I'm going to see a car this weekend and in the pictures of the car the wipers sit just how you describe. This could be a good bargaining point with the seller.

Just to be clear, the car is still ok to drive right?
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

boyee

Post by boyee » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:38 pm

Stratts wrote:Thanks for this. I'm going to see a car this weekend and in the pictures of the car the wipers sit just how you describe. This could be a good bargaining point with the seller.

Just to be clear, the car is still ok to drive right?
If it just so happens to be raining on the M32 outside of bristol last week - no, its not and its not fun! Otherwise, dooooo it

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Great write up, i'll be doing this to mine soon :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

r.a

Post by r.a » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi all,

Just done this procedure following the guide. After putting it all back together and testing though the wipers go too far down now on the downwards stroke and keep hitting the plastic beneath? Any ideas why this is happening and how I can stop them travelling so far down?

Thanks.

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Your need to move the wipers on the spindles. Undo them and place them in a further position (anti clockwise) so you get it right.

If you marked where they were when you were doing this, you should have put them back in the same place??
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

r.a

Post by r.a » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Ahh, thanks for you reply Stratts, I forgot to mark them, I'll move them up and see what happens! But at present the wipers stop in the correct position if I move them any higher won't they be too high when parked?

sasker

Post by sasker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Great guide I am going to do this on mine in a few days. Is it safe to use a WD40 degreaser that you can buy to spray on and help remove the grease? I would think simply wiping this would not get all the grease off? Anyone who has done this I would be grateful for the method you used to remove the grease
///M 2004 E46 M3 Coupe in Mystic Blue

It's all about the ///M Power

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:10 pm

you need to be careful, as you don't want to remove all the grease, else your motor will pack up!

I wiped mine when I wrote this article, and here, now, this long on, they're still working fine..

if you do want to use degreaser, spray it on a cloth/rag and sparingly..
:zzzz:

sasker

Post by sasker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:12 pm

sk93 wrote:you need to be careful, as you don't want to remove all the grease, else your motor will pack up!

I wiped mine when I wrote this article, and here, now, this long on, they're still working fine..

if you do want to use degreaser, spray it on a cloth/rag and sparingly..

I think i will just stick to giving it a good wipe then :D Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:
///M 2004 E46 M3 Coupe in Mystic Blue

It's all about the ///M Power

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:12 pm

This cleaning solved 90% of my issue. I still need to replace wiper arms to get a proper wipe on the windscreen.

Pressballstocontinue

Post by Pressballstocontinue » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Excellent, I was thinking of changing the wiper motor as my wipers have been acting up for a while but now i'll be doing this as soon as I get the time! thanks for the £0 fix!!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. :?

El Pollo Diablo

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Hello everyone.

I did this fix today. My wipers were parking in the middle of the screen while in intermittend mode.

As expected, a lot of grease on the contact plate. As seen below:

Wiped the grease off and put everyting back together. It works fine now.
Unfortunately I could not remove the plastic retainer clips in Step6 easily. Even with a flathead screwdirver it was too tight. In the end I had to break the ones in the middle and take them out by pieces. I could do this with confidence as I had spares ready for replacement.

I was very careful while removing the press fit clips in Step 8. Unfortunately the one on the far left snapped very very easily. The other 7 are intact and the connection is firm enough not to worry about the snapped one.

If you plan to do this yourself:
1) Keep spare plastic clips just in case.
2) Be extra careful in Step8.

Thanks for the instructions!