Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Post 04 cruise control retrofit N52

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi all

I’ve now managed to do a post 04 cruise control retrofit on a 3.0 N52 using the loom and switch. I took some photos so people can see what I did and the mistakes I made so you hopefully can avoid them.

Equipment required
Loom and bits
Switch
BMW Instructions. (To be used in conjunction with this guide)
Multimetre
Electrical Tape
Pliers
Screwdriver Philips and flat nose
Wire stripper and cutter
Socket set including star socket screwdriver

Step 1
Disconnect Battery.

Step 2
First remove the screw under the Cowel (I) there is only one. Then give it a tug downwards on one side then repeat on the other. You may need to pull down the wheel adjustment height handle to remove the cowel. Remove Cowel and cut out the marked area if you haven’t bought one pre-cut.

Step 3
Remove Light switch Surround by using a credit card or something similar that you don’t mind breaking. It does take some force so be patient using two cards is best one either end. Then remove the two screws under the plate.
Remove cable on the top of the switch block, by pulling the white switch handle towards you. That will release the cable, then pull it through you may need to unravel some of the cable tape.

Step 4
Separate wires VI/GE cable this should go into pin 27 and also BR/SW which goes into pin 31. Be especially careful with this one. We found that there were two of these and cut the wrong one at first. Cut the cables then test these then by using a multimetre so that you are 100% sure you have the right cables. (this applies to N52 check BMW instructions for other models). Then crimp socket contact E/D on the wires as shown on BMW Diagram. Then Connect F to E and then G to D again shown in on BMW Diagram. Then connect Loom(A) using the same colours wires from the light switch cable to the loom. Then cable tie (J) it up.

Step 5
Right now the tricky bit, you now need to feed the blue cable on the Loom (I) behind the stereo down into the passenger foot well and into the engine bay. This took us ages as the BMW Instruction were very poor at this point. To do this you may need to remove the glove box unscrewing 4 screws and then another 2 under the the glove box which releases a plastic cover where the wire will feed into the engine bay.
Once these screws have been removed this is what you should see. The blue cable then feeds through this hole into the electronic box in the engine bay.

Step 6
Remove plastic cover using screwdriver with star head. This is what you should see.
You then need to get the cable up. The best way to do this is to use a cable tie and dangle it down in the electronic box, connect the wire to it form inside the car and then pull it up. The wire needs to then feed into the IVM. We did this by shoving some tubing up the waterproof tubing as you see (red circle) once through, feed the cable through, and then remove tubing.

Step 7
Open up IVM box by pressing the two switches down on its top.
Then pull up the IVM. You should then see this.

Then follow BMW instructions for which ever engine you have ( N52 in this case) Connect B to blue cable loom (I), then use shrink tubing (K) to seal it. Mine didn’t work so used electrical tape as a temporary measure.

Step 8
Then remove 42 pin block. There are two 42 pin blocks in IVM. Make sure you pull out the correct one. Mine was grey and in the top left corner the wrong one is black, in the bottom right hand corner. Then slide out the half of the block and check that the pin is free. (39 in this case) then slide it in, and plug it back in.

Step 9
Connect Loom (A) to Switch (H) and then slide the switch into steering column.

Step 10
Reassemble everything. I started in the engine putting all the covers back on. Then into the car. Reassemble Glove box and cover 6 Screws in total. Then Light switch block and plug and 2 screws. Very fiddly if you have large hands. Put on Cowel and then one remaining screw. Then connect battery. Reset Clock and windows. Then test drive preferably on dual carriage way. No need for recoding.

Job done.

Things to remember

Never rush. We tried doing it in an evening and ran out of light. 70 Mins BMW suggest. If this is the first one you have done allow at least 3 Hrs. We made some silly mistakes due to trying to rush it.

Keep all bits in one place screws etc. We ended up mislaying things everywhere.

Always read the instructions and try and have someone with you so you can run things by them. Two heads are better than one and simple mistakes were avoided due to this.

Make sure you’ve got everything you need as you won’t be able to drive down B&Q or Hanford’s if your car is in bits.

This is a guide to how I did it. Other cars may vary on wiring etc so this is at your own risk, and if you’re not confident it may be best not to attempt it.

My thanks to all the various info on the site, and to my mate Phil who did a lot of the fiddly bits.

Now onto next project SatNav.
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

Tired

Re: Post 04 cruise control retrofit N52

Post by Tired » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Yeah mine took around 3 hours too. Had to go back and check all the wiring as the bulb light came on... Double checking everything is the key :)

Great write-up by the way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:31 pm

goo writeup Jamie saved me a job :D , if you need help on the SatNav you know where I am :wink:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 pm

excellent write up, i will do this 1 day

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 am

car is in at BMW today, whilst its there i thought should i get cruise control fitted, quoted me £430, should i do it myself or get them to do it?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:38 am

Taz x wrote:car is in at BMW today, whilst its there i thought should i get cruise control fitted, quoted me £430, should i do it myself or get them to do it?
Do it yourself and save £350

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:42 am

Yeah, and put that £350 towards your insurance renewal :P

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Great write up :thumbsup:

I've had my wiring and switch for months.. after reading this guide it makes it almost seem like i can do it!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:22 pm

it makes sense doing it myself and i would get satisfaction from doing it, only thing against doing it myslef is the time, my house is in bits and any spare time i feel i should be doing diy

Aliv6

Post by Aliv6 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Awesome!
2007 Z4MC & 2004 Mk2 Clio V6

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Aliv6 - I believe the Retro fit on the M is a little more involved - BMW themselves claim it can't be done, but some on here have done it using an independant.. can't remember names though.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Was Andy IIRC

DanEvs

Post by DanEvs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Brilliant how to folks but I have some questions...

1- Where can I get my hands on these mythical BMW instructions? I've ordered the stalk and appropriate loom and wrongly expected instructions to arrive with them. Doh! :headbang:

2- Reset windows? Not having disconnected the battery yet I'm not sure what this refers to. Any guides/tips?

Scratch question 2, think I've found it. :)
1. Turn on the ignition
2. Depress the individual window button until the window is open, then keep it pressed for 5 seconds longer.
3. Depress the window button until it is closed, then release.
4. This should reset the memory on the window.
Image3.0 SI with many bells and whistles. Love it!!

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:22 pm

I think I found them on a web search. However you could just go down to the stealer and ask them to print a copy off for you. Did this when I retro fitted heated seats they seemed ok about it.

Window reset is simply holding down the button for the windows when there down for 10 seconds then hold it up for 10 seconds when there up. Stops them from going a bit mental when you have the roof down. well for a wile anyway.
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

DanEvs

Post by DanEvs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Just found this- CLICKY

Look right??

Looking forward to doing this job now. 8)
Image3.0 SI with many bells and whistles. Love it!!