Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Howto: Fix Problomatic Wipers

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Howto: Fix Problomatic Wipers

Post by sk93 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 am

cheer's ma dear :)
:zzzz:

shongololo

Post by shongololo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Just finished and they seem to be fine. I'll see tomorrow morning while driving down the M1 if they are fixed.
Yes, you're right the 4 plastic screw are made of chocolate and strip very easily, I borke a head of one and had to remove the torsion bar across the engine so I could drill out the snapped head. I have a motorbike which I use on track so have loads of spare screws etc and an aliminium fairing screw was the same size. I replaced all four. You can get them from variuos bike dealers for a couple of quid.

My nut on the washer was a size 16 not a 15mm.

I gave the engine bay a quick wipe over as well as I don't think the previous owner even opend it, it was filthy and very dusty. Come summer I'll give it a proper clean.

Thanks to SK93 for a very good post.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:17 pm

shongololo wrote:Just finished and they seem to be fine. I'll see tomorrow morning while driving down the M1 if they are fixed.
Yes, you're right the 4 plastic screw are made of chocolate and strip very easily, I borke a head of one and had to remove the torsion bar across the engine so I could drill out the snapped head. I have a motorbike which I use on track so have loads of spare screws etc and an aliminium fairing screw was the same size. I replaced all four. You can get them from variuos bike dealers for a couple of quid.

My nut on the washer was a size 16 not a 15mm.

I gave the engine bay a quick wipe over as well as I don't think the previous owner even opend it, it was filthy and very dusty. Come summer I'll give it a proper clean.

Thanks to SK93 for a very good post.
16mm eh? hmm.. I'll double-check mine incase I wrote it down wrong ;)

It's funny you mention the fairing screws, as that's exactly what I used as a replacement for mine... had a few kwak ones lying around, so just sanded off the paint and found they were black underneath.. very handy and look like the originals :P

glad it seems to working for you - and hope it is for tomorrow :)

shongololo

Post by shongololo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Kwack ones ....mmm.....what model? I have an '07 zx10r

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Excellent post, added to the FAQ. :thumbsup:
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

frcac

Post by frcac » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Perfect - just what I need, thank you for posting... :)

Have a nice day, Sašo

shongololo

Post by shongololo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:43 pm

It has worked for me. been tested hard to day down and back to London rain all the way.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:57 pm

shongololo wrote:It has worked for me. been tested hard to day down and back to London rain all the way.
:thumbsup:

elliot_holder

Post by elliot_holder » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:32 pm

SK93 - Thanks for an awesome write up.

My wipers have been playing up for ages, followed your guide, removed a LOT of grease, and now everything seems to work perfectly!

3.0i z4 - Prof Sat Nav,TV, //M suspension. 19'' Alpina Dynamics, Red //M sport seats, soon to be fitted Alpina front spolier.

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I am going to do this how to soon because my wipers:

1. Occasionally stop about 1 inch higher than they should.
2. Squeak like crazy at the joint and sound like a rusty old gate!

I can see that this 'how to' will solve number 1, however can anyone confirm that if I gave the mechanism a good going over with some silicone spray it would get rid of the squeaking? Thanks!

mister_roger

Post by mister_roger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 am

Excellent write up! This is exactly what I have been looking for and will have to try this out this weekend. I too have been having similar problems with my wipers resting about 1-2 inches higher than normal. Maybe <10% of the time they will rest at their normal position. I thought it was the motor or relays going bad, but if it is something as simple as grease build-up then I will be greatly relieved.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Is anyone able to answer my point #2? Thanks.

shongololo

Post by shongololo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Mine don't squeek. I think I did see a thread on here about the squeek problem.

I would try a drop of DW-40 on the offending part, just don't spray it on the blade.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Been waiting for the chance to try this, just finished as it started raining, excellent write up, seems to have cured the problem.

Hardest part is getting those poxy black screws out, ended up easing up the out gently with screwdriver and 7mm ope ended spanner. :thumbsup:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

daveg

Post by daveg » Sat May 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Top How-To sk93 - mine are working well now :thumbsup:

I love working on the car but always get disappointed when I find some clown has previously broken things. Missing one of the annoying plastic screw/grommets and only 3 out of the 8 clips on my wiper pan were intact :x Will have to try some bumper clips - hope they are the right size:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0379338003

Still, really chuffed with the result combined with RainX on the screen and new Aerotwin wipers.
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align