Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to Remove your Soft Top.....56k Beware

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:26 am

jpoz4nc2005 wrote:How can I get pictures of the removal. My email address is [email protected]
See Mikes post above and follow that link.
A fair bit easier than removing the roof :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

MarcBMWZ4

Post by MarcBMWZ4 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Got the soft top off my Z today, been going really slowly and step by step. Overall though not an extremely difficult job and I'm certainly no mechanic/handyman/contortionist.

I did battle a little to disconnect the electric clips on the wiring harnesses but eventually I came right. There do seem to be some differences between facelift and pre-facelift cars (mine is an '07 facelift) but overall the instructions posted here are brilliant, wouldn't have managed without them. As expected, pump was sitting in a pool of water and completely soaked, annoyingly, the non-motor side was dry.

Drove the car without the roof in and definitely noticed the performance improvement, tempted to leave it out :driving:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 pm

sw4nny wrote:
jpoz4nc2005 wrote:How can I get pictures of the removal. My email address is [email protected]
It would seem that our advice fell on deaf ears :rofl: :rofl:

Mike

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:31 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
sw4nny wrote:
It would seem that our advice fell on deaf ears :rofl: :rofl:

Mike
It seems that way,never taken a roof off as it must be a pita of a task especially as it would be a two man job so as not to scratch or bend anything .
Anyway well done op .good luck with the fix.

Perhaps me and you should get our coats now Mike :dizzy: :rofl: :rofl:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

mbeers61

Post by mbeers61 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi Shipkiller,

I have a 2006 Z4M that I purchased last spring knowing that the motor for the top was shot and would need to be replaced. You have a lot of info on here on the subject but I can't see any of the pictures that you posted and when I try to click on the link to your webpage it tells me it can't be opened. have your pics and webpage been removed?

I've already taken the roof off, replaced the motor and have the roof (mostly) back on. I ran into a couple of issues though. I don't know if I have the U shaped aluminum bracket that holds the top on set just right..... I was able to get all of the screws back in but 2 that don't seem to reach the hole. I also can't seem to get the plastic clips that hold the rear deck in place back in. There were only 2 of them in the deck (one on each side) it seems like there should have been 4(??) And I SHOULD have paid more attention to exactly how they clipped on but it was hard to see in the tight space. If you have any pics or details on those things I'd really appreciate it. You seem like the "go to" guy on here!

Thanks

Mike

Isellfn

Post by Isellfn » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:28 am

Does anyone have the pdf for removing the soft top? Apparently shipkiller website doesn’t exist anymore.

Tonywen

Post by Tonywen » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:09 pm

Great write up with very detailed instructions, thanks.
My question is what adhesive should be used on re-assembly when attaching the 'hoop' to the body. There's residue of a cream substance which I assume is some type of adhesive/sealant. I'm thinking non setting panel sealant as used on caravans. Any thoughts or advice?
Cheers Tony

ssfisher

Post by ssfisher » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:53 am

Replaced the motor and hydraulics on 2003 Z4. I tested the top before putting in. It went up and down. Installed the top but now it will go down but not up. Any ideas? What did I miss?

soundb0y

Post by soundb0y » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:49 am

Anyone got the pdf for reinstalling the top?

I've been trying to do my first motor relocate and some of the wires were stuck on the mechanism so I had to start removing the roof.

I've gotten it all loose and sorted the issue without having to actually lift it fully out of place. So now I want to put it back together but I'm a bit worried about the following. These steps seem to be skipped over pretty quickly in any videos without detail.

A. Getting the roof seal back on correctly to the bodywork ( are you meant to use any sealer or just push it back into place?) Also is it easier with the roof up or down? Oh and the clips? I have no idea what they are meant to clip to or how to do it.

B. Getting the wires plugged back in properly. I already forgot which came from where and it doesn't look intuitive.

Cheers for any advice or if there are any other threads worth checking out.

ssfisher

Post by ssfisher » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:17 pm

No sealer needed, pushes back in place.
You can see where the clips go back in from the trunk. They push back in from the outside of the car. Pretty easy actually.
Can't screw up the wiring. Only go in one way.

soundb0y

Post by soundb0y » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:06 pm

Thanks Ill try again in the morning. I think I got most of it back in place but its really stubborn right in the middle of the boot.

BTW managed to get access to the pdfs using archive.org is there a good place to rehost them?

soundb0y

Post by soundb0y » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:12 am

OK I've got the seal nearly all the way on so that's something. There's a few kinks in it so may have to hit it with the heat gun or something.

Got most of the cables plugged in too. Only issue is with the hard top sensor wire, there doesn't seem to be a socket for it to go into on passenger side?

Do the clips need doing before the 7 bolts on the rail?

Feel like I'm getting there.

Edit -

Feel like ive done everything now apart from get the seal decent its definitely going to leak as is. Someone must have had issues getting it back into place before? Ill get some pictures