Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to Remove your Soft Top.....56k Beware

GregB

Re: How to Remove your Soft Top.....56k Beware

Post by GregB » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Shipkiller or anyone else.
Do you have the PDF version of "how to remove the soft top". I notice that the images are not available?
If you have it I would be grateful if you could email it to [email protected]
Many thanks!
Greg

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:48 pm

GregB wrote:Shipkiller or anyone else.
Do you have the PDF version of "how to remove the soft top". I notice that the images are not available?
If you have it I would be grateful if you could email it to [email protected]
Many thanks!
Greg
Just look back one page :wink:

GregB

Post by GregB » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks srhutch! I don't know how I missed that?

r.a

Post by r.a » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Any body thats removed their roof, can you advise how to remove the hoop form the two clips? I have done all the steps but dunno how to get the hoop released from the two clips!

normthewelder

Post by normthewelder » Sun May 31, 2015 1:54 pm

hello ,,can I have a copy of the photo,s ,,how u removed the hood etc on a z4 ,,,cant find them on the forum
thanks norm

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Sun May 31, 2015 5:11 pm

normthewelder wrote:hello ,,can I have a copy of the photo,s ,,how u removed the hood etc on a z4 ,,,cant find them on the forum
thanks norm
Page 7
2nd post

tomo578xkp

Post by tomo578xkp » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi All
have just bought a Z4 and low and behold after a week the roof has decided not too work, have checked all fuses and microswitch, they are all fine, so it must be a wet motor.
does any one have the pdf from shipkiller with instructions for removing the roof, with the pictures on as it doesnt seem to open on here.

Thanks in anticipation

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:21 am

bladeowner wrote:I've put the pdfs here:
http://dellis.co.uk.linkpc.net/Z4/Pdfs

troyh20

Post by troyh20 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:42 am

So, i took the top off today. Replaced the motor which was full of water. Sealed it up and put it back in and it wont go up or down still but now i hear the motor turning. I took the thing off again, fixed an issue where I added additional washers to the hydraulic lines, then put the whole thing back in and still not working, same issue. I have spent like 8 hours today taking it apart and putting it back in over and over again. Can anyone tell me what else it may be?

The locking works fine, the motor i just replaced is brand new.. but it wont move the top up or down when I hold down the button. I use ship's guide and it was great so I don't think I did anything wrong. On a side note I can now manually pull the top up and down easier, before I replaced the motor it was stiff and difficult to move.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:06 am

If you have no resistance in the hydraulic system I'd check the bowden cable (D ring in the boot) that activates the bypass valve first, this allows you to manually move the roof up and down.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78674&p=1158861&hil ... n#p1158861

..... and welcome to the forum :)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

jwwitz

Post by jwwitz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Looks like terrific instructions for removing the Z4 Soft Top but I am not getting the photos. My E85 Soft Top is starting to struggle and I want to look at the Pump/Motor, Cylinders, and Lines to see what is failing. Is there a way to get the photos or detailed instructions to remover Soft Top? Thanks in advance for your help.

Just found .pdf instructions under these posts with photos. So I should be good for now.

justlooking

Post by justlooking » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:21 pm

jhibbs wrote: At this point I merrily spent half a day putting the hood back in the car to find it didn't work. The motor ran but no movement of the hood. I have been raising and lowering my hood by hand for some time and the pressure bypass valve in the pump body behind the Bowden Cable assembly had seized open.

Off with the hood again, rempove the black plastic cable / lever assembly, use a 5mm socket to turn the brass plunger and work it free. The plunger should spring out, mine was siezed in. A drop of light oil to lubricate the seal and check the action and back together.
Thanks SO much for this post. I see you haven't visited for 5 years, but this was a god send. Had the same scenario, took the thing apart, replaced the motor, put it all back together only for it to not work. Saw this post last night after trawling the internet, tried the fix and it worked straight away. All back together now. You legend.

MarcBMWZ4

Post by MarcBMWZ4 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi all,

2007 2.5si soft top just gave out - obviously this problem is relevant to facelift E85's.
Desperate to get hold of the PDF's mentioned if anyone can help?
I've tried clicking all the links, all seem to have expired.

many thanks!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 pm

You don't have to remove the roof to get at, and even relocate the motor. It's a couple of hours work, less if you've done it before.

See my post... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86101&hilit=motor

Mike

jpoz4nc2005

Post by jpoz4nc2005 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:04 am

How can I get pictures of the removal. My email address is [email protected]