Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bi-Xenon High Beam seems... too high

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ArnieL

Post by ArnieL » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Apologies if this is just a trait of bi-xenons...

I've recently bought a Z4 with factory bi-xenons. They seem to be adjusted about right on dipped beam, I've not been flashed at all when driving along with that on.

However, full beam seems to be way too high when selected (as in stalk away from you rather than pulling it towards you to flash).

I live in a cul-de-sac and if you drive with it on towards the end of the road, the top half of the house in front of you is being really well lit up whilst the bottom half seems to be lit just the same as it was on dipped beam.

As above, is part of it just me not being used to the way they scatter the beam and maybe they could do with being lowered slightly or is there possibly something that might need looking at?

The lights self level as they should when you first switch them on etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I have noticed a similar issue with my newly acquired coupe, the field of the main Xenon beam seems to be much higher than any other car I can recall. Dipped beam looks legal so I guess it is just a characteristic of the Z4 headlight design.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

ArnieL

Post by ArnieL » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Does yours vary at all height wise?

I noticed mine was way too high on the trip out last night and then where it should be on the way back, so I'm assuming maybe one of the level sensors are faulty.

Anyone know which is more likely given the symptoms?

Both headlights sit at the same level whether too high or where they should be.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Firstly the xenon need adjusting statically. The sensors only maintain that level fully loaded or empty by adjusting the step motors. Sensor faults makes them drop low and is very obvious

In terms of main and low being different settings it's key to understanding that dipped is achieved simply by a shutter cutting off part of the beam, so again not separate adjustment
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ArnieL

Post by ArnieL » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi

Thanks for the info and can confirm I understand how dip and main beam are achieved. Both lights are as they should be in relation to each other at all times aim wise, it's the height of the beam which isn't consistent and is usually too high hence there must be a common factor, i.e a level sensor maybe?

To reiterate, the problem appears to be that the lights are more often than not pointing higher than they should be. When they aren't, they're spot on - they never point at the floor.

Hence unless someone has adjusted them to the correct position when the sensor has been giving a duff reading and they'd be pointing at the floor if correctly adjusted, I'm not entirely sure what to try other than changing one or both level sensors and then seeing if there's any improvement or at least consistency in height.

They maintained the correct level for the entire journey home (20ish miles) the other night despite being way too high on the journey out.

TIA if anyone can come up with a way of getting a definitive diagnosis other than 'replace bits one at a time and see if that works. :)

ArnieL

Post by ArnieL » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Solved...

The rod that connects the front level sensor to the wishbone is made up of two plastic ends and a central metal section.

The top plastic section had come apart from the metal one and so the two were only connecting now and again.

Now firmly glued back together and headlights levelling as they should be. :)