Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Neutral, warm idle, under car rattle ????

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RUBYBLACK

Post by RUBYBLACK » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi all,
A bit of an annoyance really rather than a fault but fear it could develop into a problem, The car a E85 2008 manual 3.0 si se 110,000mls. Runs superbly. (little stutters under load in 6th though ?) the gripe I have is, when engine achieves normal temperature and is in neutral and idling, there is a regular rattle from under the car (Totally silent when cold! ) , this rattle quietens when the clutch is slightly depressed and disappears altogether when fully depressed, it returns when the clutch pedal is released fully and I have noticed when the engine is turned off the car shudders and sounds like its running on, 'knocking' (only sounds like it's running on). If the engine is turned off with the clutch is depressed, no shudder and as quiet as the proverbial mouse ?. I have noticed occasionally when down shifting the change is quite balky with a little resistance in the gear lever, even with a blip on the throttle in neutral (Double de-clutch).
I'm surmising it's clutch related, or related components ? lever, thrust release bearing, cover, friction plate, springs etc ? I hope it's not gearbox, primary shaft, idler, spigot (?) bearings, :(. Just thought I'd throw this in to see if anyone else has / had same issue ?
Thank you for taking the time to view and I'd really appreciate any advice / direction.
Kevin. (No white socks or half mast trou here).

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi, those symptoms are fairly common & most put it down to some wear on the dmf causing some chatter at idle & also on the run down from engine shut off, it seems they can carry on like this for millennia before expiring :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47 am

Nothing to worry about, as SB said it will just be the wear on the clutch (given the mileage) my old Evo done the same and it handled 400bhp all day long for years :D :driving:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

RUBYBLACK

Post by RUBYBLACK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Thank you ever so much for the replies guys, some reassuring observations there from my very sketchy original explanation of the problem?.
as at the moment it is the only blot on an otherwise pristine copy book, I would at some point like to eradicate this noise.

Does any one know of any exploded, cut away diagrams, workshop procedures for tackling a clutch change on this lady ? I need to pre empty any potential skin removal procedures :(. so these images will be helpful and be scrutinized over the winter months when I lay her up and accumulate all the related parts in advance of the clutch change/refurbishment.

I clumsily removed my drivers seat with the battery connected and now have the air bag light on....derrrr What would be the best course to extinguish said luminary ?

Finally the best/economical, fault reader/software/cable/interface for general use by a Luddite/technophobe such as myself :roll:.

Thank you again for the prev replies and many thanks in advance for the precious time and sterling advice given :thumbsup:

Kev.