Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wipers stop during operation

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
javars

Post by javars » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:14 am

Good Morning

My wipers are playing silly buggers. During operation they will stop in a random position and refuse to work again until I turn the ignition off and back on again, moving the stalk has no effect on operation until I restart the car. A few months a go I removed the motor and cleaned the grease off the tracks inside as the park was a little erratic. Im going to try removing the rain sensor fuse to see if this helps as well.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Joao_S

Post by Joao_S » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Could sound stupid, but have you checked any rust in the frame that make the wipers move?

javars

Post by javars » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Good thought, but all clear and lubricated

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Common issue. Grease has got where it shouldn't have in the motor.

There is a how to on here on fixing.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 pm

javars

Post by javars » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks for that. Already been done. I've taken out the rain sensor fuse and driven an hour home in the rain without having to switch off and back on again. I can live without a random rain sensor 😀

javars

Post by javars » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm

So it appears I don't have rain sensors after all and I was talking from my rear entrance (or exit). My wipers are still behaving like a spoilt child at a disappointing Christmas.
So. Even though I had stripped the motor previously, I whipped it apart again this morning. There was no grease on the contact plate but there were some strange marks still on it. So I rubbed it down with 600 paper. All nice and bright now with no marks at all. I also gently filed the contact fingers. Of course I never thought to take a picture :headbang:
The outcome is perfect wiper action. It would normally have stopped by now requiring me to restart the car to get them working again along with a random twitch in intermittent.