Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Handbrake Issue, Help!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MefiEcosse

Handbrake Issue, Help!

Post by MefiEcosse » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 am

Started to have an issue when releasing the handbrake, getting a squeling noise when driving off that disappears after a few seconds, squeling is quite loud! No other issues with braking!

I don't normally use the handbrake when car is parked at home, leave it in gear on the flat, just when out with car and on a slope, been using car more often last week or so as on holiday!

Had new discs and pads fitted 3 months ago and handbrake shoes were apparently in good order!
Changed alloys 2 months ago from 17's to staggered 18's!
I'm thinking one of the above might be the cause???

Car was MOT'd just 3 weeks ago with no issues.

Anyone else had a similar issue? Looking for ideas before I start trying to adjust things!
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake Issue, Help!

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am

Try bedding the shoes in. Drive at low speed for 100m with handbrake pulled on firmly enough to be trying to slow the car. Repeat couple of times

If that doesn't fix it get someone listening to find the area of the fault before pulling car to bits. I'd expect worn shoes, broken part in the disk, dust shields or similar part being flexed into disk
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills