Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coupe oil leak but where is it coming from?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Joycey

Post by Joycey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 pm

The picture with me holding it is a complete seal from BMW. One piece :thumbsup:

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Joycey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 pm The picture with me holding it is a complete seal from BMW. One piece :thumbsup:
Joycey - Thanks for the pictures, that helps a few of us. Did you have the oil around the filler cap that can be seen in Buckz picture?
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Newbers wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:15 pm
Joycey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 pm The picture with me holding it is a complete seal from BMW. One piece :thumbsup:
Joycey - Thanks for the pictures, that helps a few of us. Did you have the oil around the filler cap that can be seen in Buckz picture?
I've cleaned mine up around the filler cap and it didn't appear again. It must've been overspill from last service.

In the second set you can see where the oil is collecting, under the valvetronic motor which is the same seal that Joycey replaced :)

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I've managed to buy just the inner bit from BMW, is that the part that leaks or do I need the outer as well?
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I didn't get the option to buy it separate. It came as one seal.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Steve84N wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm I've managed to buy just the inner bit from BMW, is that the part that leaks or do I need the outer as well?
The outer from what I can see is just a housing/locator for the motor... So the seal should just pop out of it and new should go in. I couldn't get the whole thing either just the seal/inner part.

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am

Update: So the last few days driving normally has been fine with the new seal, this morning with some quiet roads I had a chance to open her up and now I have oil in the same place, leaking from the under side of the new seal. Going to have a closer look at the weekend.

It looks like its leaking from the bottom of the seal to the rocker cover. :headbang:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Joycey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am Update: So the last few days driving normally has been fine with the new seal, this morning with some quiet roads I had a chance to open her up and now I have oil in the same place, leaking from the under side of the new seal. Going to have a closer look at the weekend.

It looks like its leaking from the bottom of the seal to the rocker cover. :headbang:
that is dissapointing, it can't be seal then as it's brand new.. you did say that it needs to sit right, I wonder if there's a way to align it properly :|

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Buckz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 pm
Joycey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am Update: So the last few days driving normally has been fine with the new seal, this morning with some quiet roads I had a chance to open her up and now I have oil in the same place, leaking from the under side of the new seal. Going to have a closer look at the weekend.

that is dissapointing, it can't be seal then as it's brand new.. you did say that it needs to sit right, I wonder if there's a way to align it properly :|
Yeah it has an inner ridge, I'll have another look over the weekend. I did see an American forum mention putting a compound on that rid to help seal better, I wonder if its been an issue before.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Joycey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Yeah it has an inner ridge, I'll have another look over the weekend. I did see an American forum mention putting a compound on that rid to help seal better, I wonder if its been an issue before.
cool, let me know how you find it! hopefully I'll get the time to do mine this weekend and report back.

can't find any torque details in the TIS re the seal have you found anything?

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Buckz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:53 pm
Joycey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm

cool, let me know how you find it! hopefully I'll get the time to do mine this weekend and report back.

can't find any torque details in the TIS re the seal have you found anything?
Nothing official other than someone stating 9nm so not much at all. I think that's because those little bolts are ally.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:46 pm

If you still have leaking, check the condition of the ccv as a blocked one will put extra pressure on gaskets due to crankcase pressurisation.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:46 pm If you still have leaking, check the condition of the ccv as a blocked one will put extra pressure on gaskets due to crankcase pressurisation.
Rob
Mine has the internal ccv so no way of inspecting it really.. :/

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Buckz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:46 pm If you still have leaking, check the condition of the ccv as a blocked one will put extra pressure on gaskets due to crankcase pressurisation.
Rob
Mine has the internal ccv so no way of inspecting it really.. :/
You can check it's working by looking at the amount of "pull" needed to open the oil filler cap with the engine running, it shouldn't be much.
You can also see if the inlet is coated in oil by removing the disa & having a peep/wipe around :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Actually there is a way unless I'm looking at the wrong part?
https://vanos-bmw.com/valve-cover-n51-n ... 1127552281

Not to check but to replace (it's a £10 part)