Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coupe oil leak but where is it coming from?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:53 pm
Buckz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:46 pm If you still have leaking, check the condition of the ccv as a blocked one will put extra pressure on gaskets due to crankcase pressurisation.
Rob
Mine has the internal ccv so no way of inspecting it really.. :/
You can check it's working by looking at the amount of "pull" needed to open the oil filler cap with the engine running, it shouldn't be much.
You can also see if the inlet is coated in oil by removing the disa & having a peep/wipe around :thumbsup:
Rob
checked the suction and it's not too bad, flap opens without too much force. Got nothing to compare it to so no idea.

I will be replacing my seal this weekend as it's been leaking more lately :headbang:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Joycey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm
Buckz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:53 pm
Joycey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Yeah it has an inner ridge, I'll have another look over the weekend. I did see an American forum mention putting a compound on that rid to help seal better, I wonder if its been an issue before.
cool, let me know how you find it! hopefully I'll get the time to do mine this weekend and report back.

can't find any torque details in the TIS re the seal have you found anything?
Nothing official other than someone stating 9nm so not much at all. I think that's because those little bolts are ally.
did you manage to fix this in the end? i'm replacing my seal tomorrow.. we'll see how that goes.

wonder if it's actually worth replacing the alu bolts. I can't find any info anywhere..

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Buckz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 pm
Buckz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:53 pm

cool, let me know how you find it! hopefully I'll get the time to do mine this weekend and report back.

can't find any torque details in the TIS re the seal have you found anything?
Nothing official other than someone stating 9nm so not much at all. I think that's because those little bolts are ally.
did you manage to fix this in the end? i'm replacing my seal tomorrow.. we'll see how that goes.

wonder if it's actually worth replacing the alu bolts. I can't find any info anywhere..
Tomorrow mate. I have a car mid build on my lift at the moment so need that finished.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:09 am

Joycey wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 pm
Buckz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Tomorrow mate. I have a car mid build on my lift at the moment so need that finished.
Coolios! :)

Found the torque specs..

http://tis.bmwcats.com/doc1101573/

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 am

Anyway, I'm back. After stripping it all down the gasket I got doesn't fit. It needs to be the same part that Joycey has. Aka a gasket and the surrounding plate. The one I got was just internal bit but you can't remove it.

Which dealer sold yours Joycey? They seem to sell the part I've got and the part you've got which is the one I need.

Annoying to say the least. :headbang:

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:08 am

Buckz wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 am Anyway, I'm back. After stripping it all down the gasket I got doesn't fit. It needs to be the same part that Joycey has. Aka a gasket and the surrounding plate. The one I got was just internal bit but you can't remove it.

Which dealer sold yours Joycey? They seem to sell the part I've got and the part you've got which is the one I need.

That is annoying! I still didn't get round to doing mine. It was Gaydon BMW show over the weekend so I ran out of time. I always quote my own BMW part numbers when ordering parts "11127552280" saves the confusion.

Lee

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:51 am

Joycey wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:08 am
Buckz wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 am Anyway, I'm back. After stripping it all down the gasket I got doesn't fit. It needs to be the same part that Joycey has. Aka a gasket and the surrounding plate. The one I got was just internal bit but you can't remove it.

That is annoying! I still didn't get round to doing mine. It was Gaydon BMW show over the weekend so I ran out of time. I always quote my own BMW part numbers when ordering parts "11127552280" saves the confusion.

Lee
Thanks, I'll call up the local dealer and see if I can get part in! :)

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 pm

got the part and replaced it today.. :) cleaned up the engine a little and hopefully it'll be good! will track it and report.

part number - 11127552280 if anyone ever diggs this thread out.

took me 30 mins or so -;

found this very useful -;

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... lacing.htm

doesn't really need any codding.

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am

Your leak stopped Buckz ? I took mine off and placed some Hylomar blue round the edge to help seal it. No leaks for a week now. Did it at the same time I changed the starter motor :driving:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:23 am

Joycey wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am Your leak stopped Buckz ? I took mine off and placed some Hylomar blue round the edge to help seal it. No leaks for a week now. Did it at the same time I changed the starter motor :driving:
need to take the engine cover off to check if it's still collecting near the spark plugs, I've driven it hard a few times now so if it is still leaking I'd expect to see it.

Will check today/tomorrow depending on the weather! hopefully has, if not I'll have to get some of the too :?

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:04 am

Joycey wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am Your leak stopped Buckz ? I took mine off and placed some Hylomar blue round the edge to help seal it. No leaks for a week now. Did it at the same time I changed the starter motor :driving:
Right, just checked.. and bad news, still leaking! much less but still collecting oil :headbang: going to get some gasket sealant and see if that helps, what a pita! this is going to be 3rd time pulling it apart.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what are the torque specs for these two outer screws? I'm getting 9 or 10Nm for the inners, but what about these?
Capturew.JPG
Capturew.JPG (38.93 KiB) Viewed 938 times
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow