Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Right rear control arm broken

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4

Post by 87008 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:25 pm

I was pulling out of a parking lot and have broken my rear right control arm and bent the shock. I have been quoted $2150.00. I am wondering how important it is to get this fixed? Can I drive the car until I get the cash to fix this problem?
Thanks for any advice.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 pm

I wouldn't. How did you manage that damage, trailing arm is chunky.

Assuming that's the only damage it's possible to DIY. Bilstein B4 shocks on the rear and a new trailing arm with bushings.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:28 am

Don't :o All suspension and steering is safety critical - in the UK slight play in the bushings is an MOT fail for road worthiness.

At $2150.00 someone is pulling your pants down :rofl: ebay in the US has these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW-E46 ... NU&vxp=mtr

for$289.95 and the Bilstein B4 shocks Steve suggests for $343.20 for all four corners! (you need to change both at the back and you could leave the fronts for now or sell on the front shocks in the US) free post from the UK - you may have customs duty your end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Bilstein-B4- ... SwH09ZGzMh

Try an independent autoshop rather than BMW (you get the parts if it helps) or find a friend to help you change the parts yourself - plenty of 'how to's ' on here

Post by 87008 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Thank you - I will look for a independent auto :D shop:)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Get new rear shocks on both sides.
Always replace shocks in pairs!
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

By the way and since you're here how about some photos of the car and an introduction. This is a great site and the members don't just come on here for the bad things in life.