Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Throttle body - help!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Tue May 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi
My e85 z4 3.0 2003 developed a problem today after being serviced. When you start the car it revs up and down but can't be driven and no response from throttle. Fault code is 2796 Throttle: adaption value is incorrect.
If I clear the fault code the car drives fine until I switch it off and start it up again. When I first bought the car it did this and my garages replaced the throttle body - I'm just feeling it must be something else if clearing the fault let's the car drive fine. I'm hoping someone might have an idea what else it could be??
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Sounds a lot like something i went through after buying my 03 e85 3.0.
I had to replace the tb on advice from machinemonkey here on the forum.
Bought a 2nd hand tb from ebay for 50 quid to validate the tb failure theory and it worked.
Buried in this gargantuan thread are the details:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90194&hilit=Betty
Good luck
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks Chris - I'll have a read of the thread

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 30, 2017 8:27 pm

soma wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 pm Thanks Chris - I'll have a read of the thread
Set aside an afternoon for that then :lol:

Short and tall- suggest u source a new or used tb to replace. Clean the icv while ur there. Good to check the disa and intake hose while ur at it.
Any clarity required just throw out your questions ....

soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Blimey Chris-that is a thread and a half!
Just drive the car for 10 minutes and It drives lovely. Stop the car and start her up again and the same problem comes back - I can't help but think there would be more symptoms whilst driving if the throttle body was dead. I might take it off tomorrow and have a look/clean up. I'll check the condition of the DESA while I'm at it. Thanks for reply Chris

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 pm

As per in the thread, on removing the tb, if u shake it and hear a rattle, however faint, its buggered. Plastic gears inside the tb can break due to voltage spikes.
Mine drove ok on fault reset. Very strange that a seemingly physical/mechanical failure can be temporarily cured by a code reset, but there it is.
Keep us posted re progress....

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Machine monkey » Tue May 30, 2017 9:07 pm

And then clan and check all the ground points. As mine kept going and I had a dodgy earth.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:07 pm And then clan and check all the ground points. As mine kept going and I had a dodgy earth.
Wahay, there 'e is! The man himself!
Mat, i credit you as being instrumental in helping me diagnose and fix this issue on mine! Good point in advising checking the groundpoints too :thumbsup:

soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Tue May 30, 2017 9:17 pm

If it is the TB it'll be the third one we've had in the 5 years we've had the car. Think I'll try your route and get a second hand one- I'll have a look at the ground points-I'm still on original battery too which probably isn't great. I'll keep you posted, cheers for help

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Machine monkey » Tue May 30, 2017 9:34 pm

soma wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:17 pm If it is the TB it'll be the third one we've had in the 5 years we've had the car. Think I'll try your route and get a second hand one- I'll have a look at the ground points-I'm still on original battery too which probably isn't great. I'll keep you posted, cheers for help

You have had 3 TB in five years?
If so it sounds just like what I had I had 3-4 in about 2 years. There will be a slight problem with a chassis earth.

The body reads 0-.5 volts if the earth is screwy the body can lose trak of where it is and say try to open close to far. This then brakes the plastic gear that drives the flap. Interestingly if you can close the flap on star up the car will start and run fine and drive fine until you switch it off.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 pm

I'll definitely check the earth now! Enjoying your thread, useful info in there. I guess you got pretty quick at changing the TB by the end of it!

soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Wed May 31, 2017 4:55 pm

Ordered a new throttle body - £175 from eurocarparts which isn't too tragic-picking it up tomorrow. Took the disa off today because I had the upgrade kit. It was like new condition inside, top pin was stuck solid so didn't fit the kit! All hoses in v.good condition.
Can't find any guidance to remove and fit new throttle body, I'm no mechanic but have got by with easy stuff by using guides and videos-how easy did you find changing the throttle body?

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Where are you in the U.K. If you can get it to ox28 I am happy to do it show you.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 31, 2017 5:46 pm

I can't remember exactly how to do it. But intake boot off I think DISA and a few other things off. Disconnect the electrical plug. The 4 torqes bolts and out it comes. Simple but hard to see the bolts. Then clean everything new one on and hopefully happy days.

soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Wed May 31, 2017 5:56 pm

That's a generous offer mate, if I was closer to you I'd take you up on it too! I'm in sunny Kent. You make it sound easy(but then it sounds like you've had to do a few!!) I'm sure I'll be ok with it, just would have preferred a guide with nice pictures so I don't do damage 😀