Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stalling

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
neo_24860

Stalling

Post by neo_24860 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi,

Had an issue on Monday which I put down as a one off, but coming into work this morning it happened again!

Car starts up fine, I get going and I feel when I come off the accelerator that it's struggling and sounds like it's about to stall. I try and give it some revs and it feels like it wants to bunny hop! This morning I came off the A road and as I slowed down it just cut out. I turned her off and back on, was fine ran perfect?

Any ideas? When it happened Monday I thought it might be a dirty injector? As it's happened again today now I'm thinking sensor, maybe O2/Oxygen sensor?

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
2011 23i M Sport - Gone
2006 - 3.0 Si Sport Silver/Grey Red Leather

Roundozo

Stalling

Post by Roundozo » Thu May 11, 2017 1:18 pm

You might want to give a few more details about the car and engine type. It'll help others with their suggestions.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

neo_24860

Stalling

Post by neo_24860 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Sorry, I did think of that as I was leaving to go to lunch!

It's a 2006 2.5si model.

Just had a quick blast in it at lunch, no problems, smooth as ever, tick over no problems no erratic revs all seemed perfect!
Last edited by neo_24860 on Thu May 11, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 23i M Sport - Gone

SonnyA85

Stalling

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:32 pm

sounds like an iffy sensor. with intermittent faults like this however it usually costs and arm and a leg to diagnose and fix.

i think we spent £3000 on an R56 mini (last year) getting rid of an intermittent fault. the garage ended up replacing about everything on it connected to the exhausts and ignition. the car is worth about £4K.

basically we were told it's a £600 fix. paid and still car had issues. then another £900 and the car still had issues. then another £1500 and that is when we complained direct to head office when it still had issues after.

i believe half the work wasn't even needed. they were guessing at what was wrong as because it's intermittent it's impossible to diagnose correctly. they even left it on full diagnostic checks overnight, etc. they had mechanics drive it home and back to the garage again with no issues.

first time i picked it up it conked out 3 blocks away. second time after about 3 days. third time on the way home it had zero power.

neo_24860

Stalling

Post by neo_24860 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Jesus! That's not cool! Did you ever find out what the cause was?
2011 23i M Sport - Gone

Roundozo

Stalling

Post by Roundozo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:33 pm

TBH you probably need to plug into a diagnostic. If you haven't got one yourself you might be lucky enough to live near someone who does. Plug it in and see if anything is stored in memory. Without knowing what it is it's not worth second guessing, it could cost lots and not rectify it.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

SonnyA85

Stalling

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 pm

neo_24860 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 2:54 pm Jesus! That's not cool! Did you ever find out what the cause was?
i don't think anybody knows for sure tbh. they replaced so many different things. they even replaced all the filters, etc. MAF sensors, something to do with ignition power. even a whole new control unit for the car which they never re-programmed properly. some exhaust parts too. i've kept all the receipts, etc. i never wanted to get that car but the wife insisted. i made her foot the bill and told her in future she should listen to me :headbang: .

they think it was the control unit. i'm not so sure. the car is now fixed but i would have been better off just torching ( :fuelfire: ) the thing and claiming on insurance it had been stolen. however how was i to know a £600 bill would end up £3K+?

i took my Z4 in for an inspection 2 the following month. i gave them the fluids (all top spec stuff from castrol, etc). i also asked them to change the gearbox fluid (supplied) and differential fluid (supplied). they supplied all filters and spark plugs and obviously the labour.

i think with all the additions it was circa an £800 service albeit i did provide fluids so probably a circa £600 service because i supplied fluids. they charged me £200 after i said i wanted the branch manager to deal with my bill directly. he never spoke to me once directly during the whole fiasco even after complaining to their head office twice. he never spoke to me when i brought my z4 in either he used the branches customer service manager as a piggy in the middle. i saw him and the customer service manager go through my bill for about 15 mins whilst i waited in the guest area. in the end i think they charged me circa £15 an hour labour on the z4 service and everything else at their normal pricing and did the additional stuff for free.

i know his full name. so i am pondering whether it would be cheeky to keep on asking for discounts now in future every time i am in? or would that be too cheeky? i suppose their is no harm in asking but it will take a red neck to do so after a year has passed.

i suppose they weren't entirely at fault. it was an intermittent issue. however they should have only tried to fix things if they knew for sure 100% they actually needed replacing. i'm guessing circa £2000 worth of my bills possibly even higher wasn't even required. they even at the end of it all said your turbo may be on it's way out and it will be an extra £1K to fix it if you want us to do it. the turbo costs about £150 on ebay brand new. it's made by garret. it's been fine so far albeit it does leak but apparently they all do, it's a known issue. anyway it's been a year so far and the turbo is fine. they had the R56 for around 3 months in their garage. they gave me a courtesy car for around 2 weeks during it all.

what i learned was - dealer for services, good independent for repairs and maintenance. problem is i can't seem to find a good independant in glasgow that i trust. i have tried 2 now. 1 has a great mechanic but the owner is a delboy who adds in additional stuff, the other i tried was just far too expensive but great. i'm going to try B for BMW next.

why is it so hard to find a decent place to take your car to?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Stalling

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu May 11, 2017 5:38 pm

You should be looking to dispute, ideally at the first failure to repair.

Here's not a bad starting point: https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/ ... nd-repairs
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

JonBooth

Stalling

Post by JonBooth » Thu May 11, 2017 6:16 pm

neo_24860 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 2:01 pm Sorry, I did think of that as I was leaving to go to lunch!

It's a 2006 2.5si model.

Just had a quick blast in it at lunch, no problems, smooth as ever, tick over no problems no erratic revs all seemed perfect!
Hello,

By the sounds of things I had a similar issue with mine a couple years ago. When slowing down/stopping the car would sometimes either cut out or the engine would feel like it was about to shake itself apart. For me, it turned out to be the Vanos solenoids. If these are the culpret you can either try cleaning them which may help for a short while or replace them. They're very easy to change but not that cheap (around £80 ish each and there are two of them) and it doesn't tend to throw up any specific codes if I remember correctly. May be worth considering though.

Cheers,

Jon.
Jon.
2007 BMW Z4 2.5i Sport

neo_24860

Stalling

Post by neo_24860 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks John.
I will certainly check these out, going to get a laptop hooked up just in case. Thanks for the info mate
2011 23i M Sport - Gone

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Stalling

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu May 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Cleaning works short term but eventually you need to replace if it is the solenoids.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

JonBooth

Stalling

Post by JonBooth » Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 am

No problem at all, good luck sorting it out.
Jon.
2007 BMW Z4 2.5i Sport