Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issues...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
GAN1

Roof issues...

Post by GAN1 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm

I'm just trying to relocate my roof motor. I've hit a problem where the short hydraulic pipe won't allow me to relocate the motor into the boot because the pipe is the wrong side of a small bar which wont allow me to get the full length. Id be grateful of any ideas?? :headbang:

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Roof issues...

Post by mac27040 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:19 am

GAN1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm I'm just trying to relocate my roof motor. I've hit a problem where the short hydraulic pipe won't allow me to relocate the motor into the boot because the pipe is the wrong side of a small bar which wont allow me to get the full length. Id be grateful of any ideas?? :headbang:
its normally tie wrapped on which you need to cut to allow it to move
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

GAN1

Roof issues...

Post by GAN1 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:49 am

Yes there are two tie wraps, one where it joins and one just below. Was thinking I need to leave the one on where it joins, to keep it in place and just cutting the other one I still don't think will give me enough length. If I could get the pipe from behind the part that it joins on to, it would be long enough but this small bar is in the way.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Roof issues...

Post by MACK » Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 am

You might want to PM Ducklakeview on here for a bit of advice, he's done a gazillion of these now (including mine) and what he doesn't know on the roof motor front probably isn't worth knowing!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Joe4

Roof issues...

Post by Joe4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:51 am

Update on my roof motor:

Turned out to be the pump that was the problem, only one port was working!

Ordered a new (slightly used) motor from ebay, fitted and all is well (for now :D ).

I was having trouble with my banjo bolt washers leaking... didn't have any copper crush washers handy so used fibre washers, seems to have done the trick for now but will keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the help to all that chipped in :thumbsup:

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Joe4 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:51 am Update on my roof motor:

Turned out to be the pump that was the problem, only one port was working!

Ordered a new (slightly used) motor from ebay, fitted and all is well (for now :D ).

I was having trouble with my banjo bolt washers leaking... didn't have any copper crush washers handy so used fibre washers, seems to have done the trick for now but will keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the help to all that chipped in :thumbsup:
So did you only change the motor or the full unit?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Joe4

Roof issues...

Post by Joe4 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:46 pm

Changed the full unit.

Problem turned out to be pressure available from one side of the pump only... as a result could only raise the roof or swap the hydraulic lines around and lower the roof.

The roof now works flawlessly, it even latches open now which it would not previously do, either under the strength of the old pump or manually.

rd55

Roof issues...

Post by rd55 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

Guys, thought id post in here to save a new thread...had a search but cant find exact problem that i have.

Anyway, recently got my z4, however last week noticed that the roof will no longer go fully down, it stops maybe 4-5 inches from fully down.

Upon investigation the top part of the rear glass screen looks to be fouling/catching on the bulkhead plastic trim within the bootspace, the plastic has a lip which looks to be around 5mm but is catching the glass, hence not allowing the roof to fully retract. (attached a link - Bit of plastic above the microswitch section that runs lenghtways).

http://www.zpost.com/forums/attachment. ... 1317330135

The glass can be manually pushed past the lip when the roof is open at its highest point and it closes/opens fully. However when the roof is closed and opened the same problem occurs.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Is there some sort of elastic within the roof that pulls the glass back to clear this plastic trim that may have worn, or can the trim be easily removed and refitted flush to avoid the glass catching. This has only happened over the past week. :headbang:

Thanks in advance