Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PDC and knocking - unrelated to each other!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Evening guys,

Got a couple of minor issues that I'd like to sort out, if for no other reason than my own sanity!

PDC issues - one regular beep followed by a long high pitched beep, then it switches to a regular normal pitch beeping. Checked sensors and all are clicking, although two are louder. No dirt on the sensor either and the speaker is connected fine.

Knocking - from the front axle somewhere! Happens when going over bumps up to around 25mph, after that its either not happening or not noticeable. Also happens when stationary and rocking the steering wheel, along with slight play in the wheel. The wheels feel as though they have a slight play when I try and wobble them with the car on the ground too, so this leads me to assume wishbone bushes? I was looking at a bit of a bush refresh on the front axle as a routine thing anyway, does this sound like the issue?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Wiring for the PDC?

Drop links? Lower arms? ARBs? Top mounts? Could be quite a few possibilities. Sure someone will post some troubleshooting tips.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Knocking sounds very much like suspension bushes to me! I had mostly the same symptoms (but also had large knocking sound when on full lock too). My local garage diagnosed it as bushes. A few hours later and a signficantly lighter wallet there were no more knocks :oops:
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Which ones though, there are many!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 am

I'm planning on changing the front control arms and related bushings anyway, and may well do the arb bushes and drop links while I'm at it. Shouldn't be much more after this to go wrong with the front end, I imagine?

I tightened up the strut bar nuts last night and this seems to have remedied some of the knocking, it was a lot less instusive on the drive to work this morning.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 am

Don't just tighten them up, do them to spec from TIS which is torque plus angle.

Arms, ARBs and drop links should tighten everything up.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:47 am

I'm finding a lot of conflicting information about how tight they should be, any input on that count? Trying to find specific information on TIS with a mobile browser is a lesson in futility!

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Here it is:
Attachments
51 71 4AZ.JPG
51 71 4AZ.JPG (18.82 KiB) Viewed 491 times