Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Battery installed now lots of problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jeffofcov

Post by Jeffofcov » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I have a 2003 2.5 Auto with smg gearbox, have had the car for a couple of months and only used it at weekends and it has been fine until last week when the battery died, nothing, nada, no sign of life whatsoever. Tried to charge it on a new fangled charger but the charger could not recover it and said it was scrap. I have put a new battery on but now I'm getting all sorts of problems, the alarm keeps going off intermittently, the remote locking worked then it didn't and have had to use the spare key, Satnav does not come on when the car is started, have also noticed the roof will not work (worked fine previously).
I know with some cars disconnecting the battery can mean re entering radio codes etc but as the battery was u.s this could not be avoided, although I have most of the books that came with the car I don't have an owners manual and I have had to disconnect the battery (for my neighbours sake).

Help!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Sad first post :(

Have a good search for "transit mode" or "Transport mode" the Z4 will sometimes default to this setting which restricts electric functions when cars are being driven on/off delivery ships and transporters. Often needs a trip to the dealers unless you have access to the right cable and software for your laptop to re-set things.

see one of many topics viewtopic.php?t=20974

maybe introduce yourself on the newbies thread and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Behr

Post by Behr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Sounds like it could potentially be transport mode. Does the AC and heated rear window work? If not then transport mode is likely. Proper diagnosis and reset can be performed by dealer/BMW indy or alternatively by using a laptop and diagnostic cable along with BMW DIS software. It's fairly straightforward and should take no more than ten minutes. If you don't have the kit or know how then post your location and maybe a kindly forum member can assist you or suggest someone who can.

If not transport mode, was the new battery charged before it was fitted. If unsure, do you have the means to test the voltage of the new battery? Low voltage plays all sorts of havoc with the various bus systems that allow the various vehicle modules to operate and talk to one another.
"It's got red seats and the roof comes off. What's not to love?"

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am

Guess you're in Coventry?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am Guess you're in Coventry?
That's where he will be sent if we don't get photos :poke:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 pm

:lol:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.