Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scary tram-lining on run flasts

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
step_change

Post by step_change » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:31 pm

My Zed is still on runflats. Tram-lining was terrible on the Northbound A1 near Stamford, steering felt wobbly and all over the place. Done 2000 miles now in my Zed and whilst I have noticed the tramlining on some types of road surface it was particularly bad on that bit of road - never been on that bit of road before in the Zed (done it a million times in 5 and 6 series).
Think I need to go for none run flats.
When i get wheels refurbed I may have the tyres swapped over for none run flats.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

greg81

Post by greg81 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 pm

The general consensus of forumers is to ditch the runflats asap. Just make sure you get a good puncture kit in your boot!

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:59 pm

You won't look back once they're gone! I have a can of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 in the boot along with an air compressor to get me out of any difficult situations. Have to be careful which tyre repair can you get as not all of them do 18"+ wheels
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

vester86

Post by vester86 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Ditch the runflats & check your lower control arm bushes for worn parts

Nelly Welly

Post by Nelly Welly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 pm

a quick reduction can be achieved using some spacers it dramatically reduced my tramlining by adding 12 at the front and 15 at the rear.

But non runflats are the permanent fix.

Suspension bushes are a big influencer and should you get them changed you really should get a full alignment done at the same time
Lost in space, found in a dustbin........

2005 Z4 2.2
2011 318 d Estate Recalled and repaired - Update: Turbo blown new one about to get fitted.... :headbang:
2008 2.0d Mondeo Estate Gone but not forgotten
2008 TDV6 Discovery 3 HSE

andystone

Post by andystone » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Literally changed mine at the weekend, major improvement, no tramlining! Also found tire pressure was crucial in reducing tramlining
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Nelly Welly wrote:a quick reduction can be achieved using some spacers it dramatically reduced my tramlining by adding 12 at the front and 15 at the rear.

But non runflats are the permanent fix.

Suspension bushes are a big influencer and should you get them changed you really should get a full alignment done at the same time
That's surprising, mine was more pronounced after I fitted spacers! :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

step_change

Post by step_change » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 pm

I'd go as far as to say the car is dangerous with the run flats. The car can be wobbly and all over the place on some types of road. Unless this is normal and I am just a wuss...... :lol: I have had the car checked and the control arm bushes are fine.

It needs to be ordinary tyres then - I will get them changed when I get the wheels refurbed and buy a spacesaver spare.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Any1else

Post by Any1else » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:50 pm

I had this too and didnt want to move away from run flats. Ditched the Bridgestone runflats and stuck some new Michelin run flats on and the difference is incredible. Doesnt tramline anymore at all.
2003 Launch car : 3.0 litre E85 in Sterling grey

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 am

Any1else wrote:I had this too and didnt want to move away from run flats. Ditched the Bridgestone runflats and stuck some new Michelin run flats on and the difference is incredible. Doesnt tramline anymore at all.
Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

I like the run-flat idea, and will be needing rear tyres fairly soon and keep having this RFT/non-RFT debate.

Before my Z4C I had a 123d with Pirelli RFTs and they never gave me any problems, so maybe the solution is non-Bridgestone RFTs. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BSVA

Post by BSVA » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:56 am

Any1else wrote:I had this too and didnt want to move away from run flats. Ditched the Bridgestone runflats and stuck some new Michelin run flats on and the difference is incredible. Doesnt tramline anymore at all.
Did the same thing as Any1else and ditched the Bridgestones for the Michelins, difference really is incredible.
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Ellipsoids,
Continental ProContact RX SSR's.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:54 am

BSVA wrote:
Did the same thing as Any1else and ditched the Bridgestones for the Michelins, difference really is incredible.
as one of the first to this one here I can still recommend them :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

BSVA

Post by BSVA » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:54 am

gannet wrote:
BSVA wrote:
as one of the first to this one here I can still recommend them :D
I think we were the only two members that kept the runflats, just changed brands as mentioned. Still loving the Michelins...no problems here.
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Ellipsoids,
Continental ProContact RX SSR's.