Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The car wont start after cleaning the injectors

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Hasse

Post by Hasse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi,

Cleaned my injectors with the help of an ultrasonic cleaner. Then I opened them up with the help of a 9 volt battery and blow air in them the wrong way.
I then put everything back and now the car refuses to start. The engine turns over and there are initiallly two or three weak firering ups and then nothing moore happens even if the engine continues to turn over.

The way i treatened the injectors was it all wrong or......?

Kind regards

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm just guessing but would have thought that high-pressure air forced the wrong way in to the injectors risks blowing a seal of some kind and any current inversion or over-voltage is going to poop the electronics. Sounds like a balls of steel job to me, what problem were you trying to sort with this process? :|
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Hasse

Post by Hasse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your answer. I didn't use high pressure air (I actually blow with my own lunges). The injectors are high- ohmed so they ought to cope with the voltage. The reason why I did the job is that the car has ben standing still for three months and at the first drive it went in to some mode at heavy acceleration (it began to idle between 800 and 1200 rpm - up and down - and the EML light came on). Then I could get it going in a normal way by turning it off and the n turning it on again but the same thing then happened every time I accelerated heavy again.

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

I'd get it plugged into DIS and see whats happening. I vaguely remember being able to read injector pressure from Ford cars using their diagnostics, so I'm sure you can do the same on BMW. See what data its getting from them.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:47 pm

No offense, but you possibly should have had the codes read before launching into a repair based on guesswork (which may have now caused more harm than good).
The symptoms you describe are often Plugs, Coils, then injectors (in that order). You may find the codes will indicate a misfire on one cylinder, needing a replacement of at least that plug and coil pack (but you could easily do all 6 plugs at the same time, what sort of mileage on the car, any plugs changed in that time?...)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Hasse

Post by Hasse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Thank you for your concern. Plugs and coils are rather new so I don't think any of those are the culprits. Well, I probably have to take it to a garage and let then have a look. I'll come back and let you know what was wrong.
Buy

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Hook them up to a pressurized fuel line and see if you have flow of gas at all.
And bleed the fuel rail.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Hasse

Post by Hasse » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for the tip GuidoK. I got the car booked at the garage first next week so meanwhile I can test the injectors the way you suggested as it hardly can do any moore damage.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:15 pm

There are a few videos on youtube that let you see how to hook up a hose and pressurize it. Multiple ways to do it.
After they all work, see if you have fuel pressure/flow by bleeding the valve on the fuel rail.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Hasse

Post by Hasse » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks GuidoK - I reckon I'll manage to test he injectors and I have also bleeded the fuel rail by the valve at the top of it. I understand that you shall put the ignition on a few times (without starting the car) so the fuelpump can build up the pressure in the fuel system and then you bleed the fuel rail through its valve (this bleeding procedure you can do a couple of times, as I understand).

Hasse

Hasse

Post by Hasse » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:52 am

I've checked the injectors and they all opened just fine and wasn't clogged. I'm beginning to suspect that the pressure in the fuel system is to low. When you press the valve at the fuel rail - with which force shall the petrol come out ( i.e. how strong is 3 bar)?

Marius

Post by Marius » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:12 pm

why start the job if you have no f***ing clue how to do it properly ?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Marius wrote:why start the job if you have no f***ing clue how to do it properly ?
really helpful marius. really helpful :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Marius wrote:why start the job if you have no f***ing clue how to do it properly ?

Don't hold back :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:33 pm

I've recently spent two days phaffing around getting my phone fixed after I ballsed it up following an on-line guide to rooting it and other custom trickery. In the end I called a halt and gave it to someone who knew what they were doing and all is now well with everything recovered and working. Lesson learned, as Dirty Harry says, "a mans got to know his limitations" and I had overstepped mine.

Maybe you should stop now? 8)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost