Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Small squeak from blipping throttle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi all,

Another small issue on my zed (It will get there eventually), when changing down a gear I like to rev match but now and then I get a small squeak when I blip the throttle which sounds like its coming from the engine bay.

anyone had this issue and know a fix?

cheers.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Uncle_Gravy wrote:Hi all,

Another small issue on my zed (It will get there eventually), when changing down a gear I like to rev match but now and then I get a small squeak when I blip the throttle which sounds like its coming from the engine bay.

anyone had this issue and know a fix?

cheers.
I'd suggest a squeaky belt, but you would here that at start up. :?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Idler pulley is one possible, or even an air leak on the induction side. I've had both on the Zed
You need have a listen under the bonnet when it's hot
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Just come home from work and after reading about the Disa valve I thought i'd see if mine is due for a change, answer to that is i'll have to budget that in with the current fixes that need doing with the car as when i pulled the power connector off it made a slight difference with less rattley-"ness", but that's for another future E85 problems thread :oops:

But while I had my head down there I did not notice any squeaks or squealing, It only happens, and it happens randomly when blipping from lowish rpm.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Check the rubber boot that goes to the throttle body. It has a short, convoluted off - shoot that perishes and 'sucks' air making a squeaking or whistling noise. Mine did, so I replaced it. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 am

patriot66 wrote:Check the rubber boot that goes to the throttle body. It has a short, convoluted off - shoot that perishes and 'sucks' air making a squeaking or whistling noise. Mine did, so I replaced it. :thumbsup:
I had this exact problem. It doesn't make a sucking noise, more of a strange squeak when blipping the throttle.

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:01 am

patriot66 wrote:Check the rubber boot that goes to the throttle body. It has a short, convoluted off - shoot that perishes and 'sucks' air making a squeaking or whistling noise. Mine did, so I replaced it. :thumbsup:
Is this easy to see by just shoving my head under the bonnet?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:28 am

RHS of engine viewed from front
big convoluted hose towards rear of block has a small T pipe off it. That splits and tears
Might need a mirror to see around it but touch it with engine running and you'll hear it hiss or squeak if split
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 am

Uncle_Gravy wrote:
Is this easy to see by just shoving my head under the bonnet?
I found it by getting the missus to sit in the car and blip the throttle whilst I had my head under the bonnet. I found the fault in seconds this way.

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:54 am

Cheers lads, I'll have a gander when I finish work.

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:27 pm

So I had my hand around the pipe (that kinda sounds wrong) this afternoon, feels and from what I could see it's in good condition, so don't think its that.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:28 am

Uncle_Gravy wrote:So I had my hand around the pipe (that kinda sounds wrong) this afternoon, feels and from what I could see it's in good condition, so don't think its that.
OK, then it may possibly be anywhere amongst the CCV collection of hoses/pipes/unions etc. Lots of plastic/rubber that age hardens and splits etc. I have replaced the complete setup on my car also. Not difficult but a bit fiddly/time consuming to do.
Also check your DISA valve for wear and tear especially the seals. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:29 am

Uncle_Gravy wrote:So I had my hand around the pipe (that kinda sounds wrong) this afternoon, feels and from what I could see it's in good condition, so don't think its that.
OK, then it may possibly be anywhere amongst the CCV collection of hoses/pipes/unions etc. Lots of plastic/rubber that age hardens and splits etc. I have replaced the complete setup on my car also. Not difficult but a bit fiddly/time consuming to do.
Also check your DISA valve for wear and tear especially the seals. :thumbsup: