Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil loss

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Uncle_Gravy

Oil loss

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi,

Previously I've mentioned in another thread that the car is losing oil, which with some traces on the engine and quite a mess on the undertray thought it might be the Valve cover.

Just had a call from a garage which I trust, They've had the car up on the ramp and left it running for over an hour with the undertray off, they've searched all over the engine and they could not find any signs of leakage coming from the car which has left me rather confused and further disappointed.

I'm losing oil, I've been told the M54 does suffer from high oil consumption but surely I shouldn't be topping up every two weeks right?

Any insight to this?

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Oil loss

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 pm

2 weeks is excessive but if the CCV system is not working correctly that would point to the excessive consumption.

ive had approx 30 m54 engined cars now and they are hit & miss. Some use 1l per 1000 miles some dont use any! anything less than 1000mi per litre is silly though.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Uncle_Gravy

Oil loss

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm throwing in about 2L of oil in every 2-3weeks as a top up.

I do 200 miles every week just for my commute, I don't know if its just been my imagination this whole time or it is just a case the car is just consuming that much oil each time.

What I'm confused about is the Undertray, there is signs of leakage of something as its damp you can see it and as said before there is no signs of leakage coming from the car according to the garage so I'm left paranoid with it now.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Oil loss

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm

could be coolant on your undertray. another notorious issue with the m54 is its terrible cooling system. could be the rad leaking or the expansion tank which is dripping on the undertray, once it gets contaminated with the shite on your undertray and its viscosity could look like oil?
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Callahan

Oil loss

Post by Callahan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:15 pm

The garage have had it on the ramps but with the engine only running at tick over. It could be an idea to remove the under tray, then take the car for a good blast that terminates back at the garage and on the ramps? Might be a different story under the bonnet then.

Uncle_Gravy

Oil loss

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:27 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:could be coolant on your undertray. another notorious issue with the m54 is its terrible cooling system. could be the rad leaking or the expansion tank which is dripping on the undertray, once it gets contaminated with the shite on your undertray and its viscosity could look like oil?
Could be a possibility but surely that's something that would of been spotted by the garage? It's not like the expansion tank is well hidden.
Is it possibility that the outside elements can get in and be on the tray? Sorry for such a retard question, just trying to explore all possibilities to something I could just be overreacting to.
Callahan wrote:The garage have had it on the ramps but with the engine only running at tick over. It could be an idea to remove the under tray, then take the car for a good blast that terminates back at the garage and on the ramps? Might be a different story under the bonnet then.
Car is still with the garage so I'll suggest this.

Otherwise I'll keep the money and spend it on something else that's more important, Sparks and Ignition coils are next on the list, then the dead roof which the lovely Number5 will sort out for me.
Last edited by Uncle_Gravy on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raymond.harper

Oil loss

Post by raymond.harper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Jack her up on one side, I prefer driver's side, place axle stand under lower wishbone and lower onto stand. Then with 8mm socket remove the 7 screw bolts that hold undertray.Mine was filthy :( Remove undertray and give it a good clean. Get some gunk and make sure it is bone dry and clean afterwards. Replace the now clean undertray. You will need a torch to locate the screws. Run for a few days then remove again and see what is on it. My thermostat house leaked yesterday causing no end of mess. It stated with a small leak and then it seemed the radiator had exploded. Just finshed cleaning the undertray again. You can run the car without the undertray and examine the ground to see if there are any leaks.

Rufus59

Oil loss

Post by Rufus59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 pm

CCV is a good suggestion for the high oil consumption. Had it on my last z4 and I was throwing about the same amount of oil in too. Felt rather strange regularly buying 1L top ups... checked the CCV and it was clogged with a milky substance. For a moment i thought I had a head gasket issue but thankfully found the expansion tank had cracked.

The fluid in your undertray might be water spray from the road. For the CCV, I believe theres a hose you can disconnect going into the inlet duct and see if it looks clogged.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Oil loss

Post by Chris_D » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:09 pm

mmine was drinking a litre per 1000 miles.
Changed ccv system and it hasn't needed a sip of oil in the subsequent 2000 miles.
Have u also considered oil filter housing gasket as a potential source of the leak? mine had traces all down the side of the engine and onto the floor (no undertray). changed gasket and solved the problem.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Uncle_Gravy

Oil loss

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:26 pm

I'll have a word with my brother when he's up next, he's a mechanic for said Garage so when he comes up next i'll suggest the CCV.

The oil filter housing would of still been visible from above and under the car? So any signs of leakage would of been seen if they checked it properly.

But again i'll suggest it to my brother when I see him next, which will be soon as he's told me the suspension control arm bushes are "BAD" so i'll be getting them sorted first.

Cheers again guys.

Rufus59

Oil loss

Post by Rufus59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Funny you should say that, they went on mine too! Replaced them with some merle bushes as wanted something close to OEM feel :thumbsup:

Uncle_Gravy

Oil loss

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Rufus59

Oil loss

Post by Rufus59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Can't comment on the performance of those in particular, but TRW are a well known and reputable supplier so I'm sure they're good quality.

Uncle_Gravy

Oil loss

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Few people have mentioned Meyle HD, found these on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-3-Ser ... SwEeFVP2AV

Uncle_Gravy

Oil loss

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 am

Sorry to bring this back up.

Can the Vanos be a possible cause of losing oil? I believe mine needs replacing/refurbished as there's a rattle sound when revving the enging between 1.5k-3k at a standstill or moving, and I'm convinced I can feel a surge of power once past 3k rpm only just noticeable.

Second question, Where do people go to get their Vanos sorted? I've seen Mr Vanos and Dr Vanos mentioned around, what are the likely costs to get it sorted?

And the Meyle HD bushes have brought my car's handling back up to how it should be :thumbsup: Need the alignment sorted and happy days.