Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Roof Issue! Flashing Red Light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
touring_style

Post by touring_style » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi,

I know this issue has been discussed at length but my 2004 E85 roof isn't stowing 100% properly.

When I initially put the roof down all is fine but after a short driving distance the red light on the centre console switch is flashing because the roof has risen a matter of millimeters by the bumps in the road - enough for a micro switch somewhere to think the roof is no longer fully down.

It's an early car so has the catch between the front seats - I have to push down hard on the folded roof to get to to click into the latched position.

It hasn't always done this, I'm not sure why its chosen to do it this week (perhaps the cold February weather is making the roof less pliable).

In other threads on this forum I have read there is a micro switch associated with the latch mechanism between the two front seats. I've read if you disconnect the micro switch this issue goes away. I've had some of the trim off this afternoon but I can't find the micro switch anywhere in that area - can anyone confirm if it is the case that there is a micro switch somewhere in that area and if it indeed can simply be disconnected?? :?

I added some photos if it helps any one direct me to the solution.... :thumbsup:

2004 2.2i SE

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:19 pm

I think number5 did a post about this , although could be totally wrong in that , but I believe there's some adjustment under of the catch you have pictured it might be like a tapered shim , move one way it lifts slightly other way it lowers, the mircoswitch you mention maybe referring to the one in the boot that proves the rear parcel shelf is in the lower position so the roof works
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Don't think red light should flash if roof not locked down properly, mine doesn't.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

touring_style

Post by touring_style » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Russ59 wrote:Don't think red light should flash if roof not locked down properly, mine doesn't.
Thanks for your reply and you're quite right Russ59 - it doesn't come on when it hasn't locked into place but this is more than that, its an inch or so from being clicked down when the red light starts to flash - just enough for the car to think the hood isn't fully lowered.

Mine rarely clicks itself fully down into the latched position - it's always been like that but now it seems that it's not only not clicking down but being held up enough for a micro switch to not be pressed down.

We're only talking by a few millimeters, you'd never notice simply by looking at it and it only occurs after driving for a few minutes because the hood has wobbled itself up slightly.

I haven't had the hood assembly off or fiddled with it in any way so I'm not sure why its chosen now to start doing this.
2004 2.2i SE

touring_style

Post by touring_style » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:15 pm

markplant wrote:I think number5 did a post about this , although could be totally wrong in that , but I believe there's some adjustment under of the catch you have pictured it might be like a tapered shim , move one way it lifts slightly other way it lowers, the mircoswitch you mention maybe referring to the one in the boot that proves the rear parcel shelf is in the lower position so the roof works
Thanks markplant - I'll look into the shims. It isn't the micro switch in the boot for the parcel shelf unfortunately - the yellow LED comes on when that's not in the correct position so I'm told.
2004 2.2i SE

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:19 pm

I have removed my catch so that wont be the issue.

Check the edge of the roof to make sure it is folding correctly. From memory this has been an issue for some in the past.

touring_style

Post by touring_style » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:29 pm

srhutch wrote:I have removed my catch so that wont be the issue.

Check the edge of the roof to make sure it is folding correctly. From memory this has been an issue for some in the past.
Ah, okay, thanks srhutch. :D I'll take a close look at that area. Is it obvious how to make adjustments to the roof if it isn't folding 100% correctly? I assume I need to do a bit of dismantling to access fastenings to alter things?
2004 2.2i SE

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:41 pm

No, it will be obvious if the canvas isn't folding correctly.

I will try and find the post.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:42 pm

touring_style

Post by touring_style » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:50 pm

srhutch, you're a gent. Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

That's my bed time reading sorted tonight then...
2004 2.2i SE

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:08 pm

I can see the 2 pictures in the link look different, but if it's folding incorrectly, what do you alter to change the way it folds
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 pm

I have also removed my catch without issue. I never had a light before or after. The reason I removed mine is as in the thread above, marking the roof liner and I also had the release catch squeak. Wont hurt to try disconnecting the wiring plug and see how you go.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

touring_style

Post by touring_style » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:35 pm

markplant wrote:I can see the 2 pictures in the link look different, but if it's folding incorrectly, what do you alter to change the way it folds
Having read the pdf briefly it appears their advice is to leave the hood correctly folded and in the down position overnight in the hope it reshapes itself and stays that way! May be wishful thinking as a long term solution.

There may be a more in depth solution, I haven't read it fully.

I've just been out to check mine to see how it folds - as you can see from the photos it looks as though mine is folding correctly.

Incidentally it's just folded down completely and latched into place by itself - the first time for a while.

You can see from the photos it's sunny here and the hood is warm as a result so I suspect my problem over the last week has been due to the cold weather hardening the roof and making it less pliable.

This photo shows where the adjustment bolts are - you can slide the hood a little bit for minor adjustment if you loosen these apparently.

I'm going to leave mine a while now to see if it's the low temperature and lack of sun that's causing my issue.
2004 2.2i SE

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm

markplant wrote:I can see the 2 pictures in the link look different, but if it's folding incorrectly, what do you alter to change the way it folds

I just stop my roof half way and fold out the 2 bits in the pics, (well only one on mine) then continue dropping the roof and it locks into place.
Some say by leaving your roof down a couple of days with the bits folded out they then tend to stay in place but mine don't.
It's no hardship to stop the roof and pull them out. It seems a very common occurance.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

C58

Post by C58 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Im having the same issue, when I bought the car the roof motor was replaced and since then I have the same flashing red light issue. When its a bit warmer ill try leaving the hood down for a few days. It seems that the issue is definitely the latching mechanism on mine. roof goes down and stores fine and then after a short drive the red flight goes on. very annoying!