Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lazy starter

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
highway1

Lazy starter

Post by highway1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Mr Tidy wrote:I hope you get it sorted OP. :thumbsup:

Mine was just like you describe until it got a new battery a couple of weeks ago, and now the starter motor is turning much faster. :D

My Coupe is getting a bit laboured on starting ,so I might need to replace my battery soon- ECP list a lots so is there a preferred one for the 3.0si, like in amps or maybe the Bosch batteries that come with 3,4 or 5 year guarantees??

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Lazy starter

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:46 pm

highway1 wrote: Mr Tidy wrote:I hope you get it sorted OP. Mine was just like you describe until it got a new battery a couple of weeks ago, and now the starter motor is turning much faster. My Coupe is getting a bit laboured on starting ,so I might need to replace my battery soon- ECP list a lots so is there a preferred one for the 3.0si, like in amps or maybe the Bosch batteries that come with 3,4 or 5 year guarantees??
My local Indy fitted a BMW one in mine - 70AH.

Surprisingly they are apparently Exide, not Bosch! But plenty on here have reported good results with Bosch ones. I was thinking of fitting one myself but it was in for another job anyway so I just good it done! From what I read it looks like the crucial bit is getting the right physical dimensions and the terminals the right way round!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Roadsters have a more powerful one to cope with the demands of the roof motor - I had wondered about getting one of those, for a bit more reassurance!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Killiestu

Lazy starter

Post by Killiestu » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks again,
Perfect example of why joining a forum is a great idea!
Always somebody who's done it before :thumbsup:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Lazy starter

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:33 pm

I have a Varta E44, 77 Ah and 780 CCA - about £65 delivered, been very happy with it.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Fox889

Lazy starter

Post by Fox889 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 am

I have [had] an X5 with a lazy starter, always started but turned over really slowly, original battery [2005] was changed & made little difference so took the starter to a local electrician who put new bearings in & tested it...........wow!!! what a difference, turns over as if you had 2 x 24v batteries hooked up to it!! Much cheaper than a recon as well.
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic

Killiestu

Lazy starter

Post by Killiestu » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:47 am

*quick update*

Changed out the battery yesterday and totally cured the problem.
Now starts with no hesitation at all so very pleased many thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Lazy starter

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:51 am

Killiestu wrote:*quick update*

Changed out the battery yesterday and totally cured the problem.
Now starts with no hesitation at all so very pleased many thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup:
Result...
Battery change was always going to be the solution, certainly before worrying about other diagnostics or work
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills