Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

top motor removal help

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Ian66

top motor removal help

Post by Ian66 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 am

Hi

I have been doing the motor relocation mod. Managed to get unit out (It had failed) The motor didn't run when I first got it out so I decided to unbolt it from the hydraulic part and dry it out. I was a bit surprised when I undid the bolts instead of the motor coming away from the aluminium block the block/pump was in two parts, one part stayed with the motor, hydraulic fluid spilled out along with various bits of pump. So took motor indoors, dried it out and WD40'd it. Got running fine but then to put pump back together. I didn't see where everything came from so I had to guess. Bolted back up refill with fluid. Press the button and not a sausage. Motor turns but no hood movement. So I am thinking I have put pump back together wrong or there is some kind of priming issue. Haven't found anything on net to help with the pump assembly. Anyone got any thoughts. Annoyed with myself that if I hadn't taken it apart and dried it out in the car all would have been ok!

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

top motor removal help

Post by enzed4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:22 am

Ian66 wrote:Hi

I have been doing the motor relocation mod. Managed to get unit out (It had failed) The motor didn't run when I first got it out so I decided to unbolt it from the hydraulic part and dry it out. I was a bit surprised when I undid the bolts instead of the motor coming away from the aluminium block the block/pump was in two parts, one part stayed with the motor, hydraulic fluid spilled out along with various bits of pump. So took motor indoors, dried it out and WD40'd it. Got running fine but then to put pump back together. I didn't see where everything came from so I had to guess. Bolted back up refill with fluid. Press the button and not a sausage. Motor turns but no hood movement. So I am thinking I have put pump back together wrong or there is some kind of priming issue. Haven't found anything on net to help with the pump assembly. Anyone got any thoughts. Annoyed with myself that if I hadn't taken it apart and dried it out in the car all would have been ok!
Others who have had hydraulic fluid drain have found that after topping up the fluid, cycling the roof up/down several times by hand will bleed the pump sufficiently for the motor to take over and do the rest of the job.
What fluid did you use to refill it?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Ian66

top motor removal help

Post by Ian66 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks. Tried the cycling but no joy. I have used Meyle ZHM fluid which has the BMW part number 54 34 0 394 395.

Re pump assembly. I had metal wheel with three horizontal holes that three short pins fitted into. Then a long pin that went into the base of the wheel with the short end sticking out over which I fitted the spring and then that slotted into one of the holes on the plastic motor impeller. I have no idea if that is right and I haven't found any pics anywhere of that assembly.

rapidroy

top motor removal help

Post by rapidroy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:41 pm

i can send you my old motor and pump you pay postage

Ian66

top motor removal help

Post by Ian66 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 am

Hi Rapidroy.

How much would the postage be do you think. Where abouts are you? I am in Surrey and work in Hampshire if you are nearby I could come and pick up.

rapidroy

top motor removal help

Post by rapidroy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 am

sure come on by I'm in Albuquerque, New mexico USA :D I'm not sure what shipping would cost.

Ian66

top motor removal help

Post by Ian66 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Sorted Stuck Bypass valve. :D

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

top motor removal help

Post by enzed4 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:50 am

Ian66 wrote:Sorted Stuck Bypass valve. :D
Result! :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

rapidroy

top motor removal help

Post by rapidroy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:25 am

cool

daggers

top motor removal help

Post by daggers » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm in a similar situation with the various pins that fell out ot the pump assembly when I took the motor off - still work in progress
Just out of interest where the best place in UK (cheapest) to buy a new motor and maybe a motor and pump assembly if I cant get the old one back together - ebay look to be around £230/£250
Thanks
Steve