Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warning lights '07 Z4 2.0

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Additionally, unplug the connector to the ABS module (pull the plastic clip up on the top and the connector will pop off) and the put it back by pushing it back down. Unplugging and plugging back in sometimes cleans the pins and gets it working. Worth a sho
Andy
Will try that tomorrow ,tried the hammer :roll: no good .Don't hold out any hope as BMW diags indicate an internal failure and of course Dealers replace not repair
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:38 am

andyfanshawe wrote:
enzed4 wrote:
andyfanshawe wrote: Hi enzed4. You have the classic symptoms of sticking brushes in the ABS motor.
Have a look here https://youtu.be/CmCe98MZ-Yw

I've just done one successfully. Far cheaper than a refurbed unit.

One thing you can try.....give the black cylindrical motor casing a couple of Sharp taps with a hammer or something similar. I tap them with a socket extension! Then turn ignition on to see if the lights go out.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I have seen that video - looked it up in the hope it might point me in the right direction to repairing my own pump, but once he showed you need to cut the tabs holding the pump casing to remove it, I didn't think it was worth pursuing. I thought that might be the problem, and that such a simple fix was made near impossible by BMW's sealing of the unit :x . I didn't think of giving it a few taps, like a stuck starter motor, but as long as I don't damage the housing (may need to exchange it or send it for repair somewhere) I might as well try.
Additionally, unplug the connector to the ABS module (pull the plastic clip up on the top and the connector will pop off) and the put it back by pushing it back down. Unplugging and plugging back in sometimes cleans the pins and gets it working. Worth a shot.

Andy.
Had already tried this a few days ago with no effect on fault (but thanks for the suggestion).
However, I took your advice about the 'taps' this morning, gave the casing a few sharp taps with a socket handle and a mallet handle wherever I could reach without damaging the hydraulic pipes around it. Took it for a drive and the fault lights have gone. Gave the ABS a good workout with some sudden stops, even did some sudden stops from higher speed (around 80km/h) while turning the steering wheel left and right (hopefully activating DSC - I did see the light flash on the the dash). Haven't been able to get the fault lights back. Really, REALLY hoping this might have knocked a stuck brush loose, but have heard others say their fault comes and goes, so I won't get too hopeful until it's been gone for some time.
Thanks again, Andy :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

wegras

Post by wegras » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Mine stayed off for 6 months after 1st appearance then came on again during drive to MOT :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
All BMW family

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:24 pm

wegras wrote:Mine stayed off for 6 months after 1st appearance then came on again during drive to MOT :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Oh bugger, thanks Mr. Buzzkill :lol: . Now every time I start the car I wait a few seconds for the dreaded 'bing' of doom accompanied by the Xmas tree dash lights. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed they don't return...

wegras

Post by wegras » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:58 pm

enzed4 wrote:
wegras wrote:Mine stayed off for 6 months after 1st appearance then came on again during drive to MOT :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Oh bugger, thanks Mr. Buzzkill :lol: . Now every time I start the car I wait a few seconds for the dreaded 'bing' of doom accompanied by the Xmas tree dash lights. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed they don't return...
gets worse on way up to Indie for DSC refurb and as I hit the road lights went off :D drove about 10 miles and decided to abort repair and get the MOT completed and then have repair at leisure
Just before I got home hit a famous A27 pothole lights came on immediately :headbang: :headbang:
Turned back to Indie and they are having the DSC unit fixed now :cry: :cry:
All BMW family

wegras

Post by wegras » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Z4 now fixed with new MOT :thumbsup: :driving: :driving:
An excellent job by Walkers Autotech and a saving of £1900 over Dealer new replacment cost
DSC unit refurbished at a 3rd party and all working as designed
All BMW family

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:20 am

wegras wrote:Z4 now fixed with new MOT :thumbsup: :driving: :driving:
An excellent job by Walkers Autotech and a saving of £1900 over Dealer new replacment cost
DSC unit refurbished at a 3rd party and all working as designed
Good result :thumbsup:
If my warning lights come back on I can clear them by braking 'firmly', so I'm thinking that stuck brush in the pump is not quite seized yet, and starts working after braking a bit harder than usual.