Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Eml. Engine symbol and limp mode???

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jayd1000

Post by jayd1000 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi people,

As above this is the second time this has happened to me while driving, the first I admit I was driving with a bit of vigor :roll: The second was yesterday while driving down a dual carriageway, I was in 5th doing about 70mph. I put my foot down a bit to overtake a car in front (nothing to heavy) and while I was beside them I heared a bleep then the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and no power. I pulled back behind them put car in nutral, turned ignition off and back on and everything back to normal. This is the second time same thing has happened. Once ignition is turned off then back on all is ok.....strange that!! Any ideas???

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:57 pm

I am sure someone else will confirm but I understand the ignition switch can play up and need replacing and to me it seems likely that is your problem.

jayd1000

Post by jayd1000 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi mike6
Cheers for fast response....I will look into that cheers

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Mike6 wrote:I am sure someone else will confirm but I understand the ignition switch can play up and need replacing and to me it seems likely that is your problem.
Ignition switch doubtful for this. It normally stops the car from starting. This sounds more like an O2 sensor, although they usually stay on.

OP, do you use the same fuel all the time, and how old is your battery as this could be the problem.

jayd1000

Post by jayd1000 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:44 pm

I use normal 95 Ron fuel tbh normal from tesco but depends where I am when I need fuel. I've only had car 4 months but battery looks quite new, could get it tested to be sure I suppose. Never had any problems starting it, first turn of key

vester86

Post by vester86 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Get someone to read out the error codes stored in de computer, or buy some tools to do it yourself. Based on what you have writen above it could be almost anything.

jayd1000

Post by jayd1000 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:10 am

Would you recommend the carly one as you can program with that also??

jayd1000

Post by jayd1000 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:32 am

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:08 am

Save yourself a ton of cash. Get an elm327 Bluetooth dongle for under a fiver and a copy of Torque Pro for your mobile for a few quid also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetoo ... rds=Elm327

Fox889

Post by Fox889 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:45 pm

jayd1000 wrote:I use normal 95 Ron fuel tbh normal from tesco but depends where I am when I need fuel. I've only had car 4 months but battery looks quite new, could get it tested to be sure I suppose. Never had any problems starting it, first turn of key
Not wishing to upset anyone or face libel action, the first thing I would do is 'not use supermarket fuel'!
Secondly, and for no other reason apart from being 'anal' I would rather use the super-duper stuff than ordinary fuel.
It may make a difference you never know!
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:55 pm

I have used supermarket 95ron a couple of times with no issues. Almost exclusively use Tesco momentum.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Fox889 wrote:
jayd1000 wrote:I use normal 95 Ron fuel tbh normal from tesco but depends where I am when I need fuel. I've only had car 4 months but battery looks quite new, could get it tested to be sure I suppose. Never had any problems starting it, first turn of key
Not wishing to upset anyone or face libel action, the first thing I would do is 'not use supermarket fuel'!
Secondly, and for no other reason apart from being 'anal' I would rather use the super-duper stuff than ordinary fuel.
There are 35 million cars in the UK and most are run on 95 RON without any problem. The M54 N52 engine is rated by BMW to run on 95 RON and despite what we would like to think there is nothing THAT special about the engine. I use premium because I'd like to think it's 'better' but using 95 ron isn't going to shut your car down and junk you in the fast lane!

The OP has another problem and needs to check for fault codes as a starter, anything else is guesswork.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

jayd1000

Post by jayd1000 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:23 pm

I remember watching top gear do a comparison on standard 95 Ron and the super dupa hight octane stuff years ago and there was no difference between the 2 on the test car. plus my car has 85k on the clock. unless it's a new engine and always gonna be run on the stuff (not sure even then if you will see any difference) I doubt it will be any use on mine apart from the placebo effect!!!

jayd1000

Post by jayd1000 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:26 pm

srhutch wrote:Save yourself a ton of cash. Get an elm327 Bluetooth dongle for under a fiver and a copy of Torque Pro for your mobile for a few quid also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetoo ... rds=Elm327
I've ordered one of these now :thumbsup:

Fox889

Post by Fox889 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:17 am

Ewazix wrote:
Fox889 wrote:
There are 35 million cars in the UK and most are run on 95 RON without any problem. The M54 N52 engine is rated by BMW to run on 95 RON and despite what we would like to think there is nothing THAT special about the engine. I use premium because I'd like to think it's 'better' but using 95 ron isn't going to shut your car down and junk you in the fast lane!

The OP has another problem and needs to check for fault codes as a starter, anything else is guesswork.
I wasn't advocating the OP using 'Premium' fuel just advising, perhaps, he used 'non supermarket' based fuel just to see if it made any difference.
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic