Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Need diagnotic software

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:18 am

Hi, two questions. I've recently installed door speakers, removed negative from battery, removed airbags, replaced airbags, replaced negative to battery and...Airbag light on! :o
I refuse to pay £150 to get this reset, so I figured that It'd be cheaper to buy the lead and software and learn how to do it myself.
1. Can INPA software be run on an ipad?
if not..
2. Is there an alternative diagnostic software to INPA that be run on a ipad or macbook pro? I don't have a PC.

In answer to my own question I've found this, has anyone used it?
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/carly-f ... 43427?mt=8
Last edited by DMC63 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by Smartbear » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:23 am

Carly can run on an ipad but im not sure it can clear an airbag light? Im sure someone who has it will reply soon :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:26 am

Smartbear wrote:Carly can run on an ipad but im not sure it can clear an airbag light? Im sure someone who has it will reply soon :?
Rob
Thanks Rob. Just found Carly.
I've found a youtube vid showing how to change language in INPA to English. Considering buying a cheap PC lappy from ebay and getting INPA. Checking into INPA now. But still open to what Carly of other software has to offer.

Is anyone using INPA? What's the latest compatible software and what device and software is best to run it on? I've heard it works best on Window XP?

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by mac27040 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:02 pm

from experience carly doesn't do a lot for the E85, more designed for the E89.

Airbag light can be done via IPNA or DISv57, buy a cheap laptop preferable one with windows XP on it.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Stuartt

Need diagnotic software

Post by Stuartt » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:11 pm

If you have AA cover the Bosch system they run can turn off airbag lights, a bit of a lottery as to if the patrol you get is willing to do it for you but I'm sure once you offer to slip him a gratuity he will have a go :thumbsup:

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Buckz

Need diagnotic software

Post by Buckz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Where in london are you? I've got an autel 619 around used it on my mazda a while ago to reset SRS errors.

will work bmw too.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by Chris_D » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Have carly pro and has been invaluable for my e85 for diagnostics and coding.
Can reset airbag light, however hasnt worked on mine due to multiple airbag codes. Need to get a new airbag module installed before next mot/apk.
Would recommend both carly and inpa. Both have pros and cons.
Carly great for when ur out and about and for easy as p!ss coding and diagnostics. Can also do live parameter monitoring which is great to see.
Inpa u can do a bit more with but i found it an absolute chew to get working and need a windows 32bit xp os laptop and cable.
I'm sure therell be more along soon singing the praises or deriding either or both.... :roll:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:07 pm

Stuartt wrote:If you have AA cover the Bosch system they run can turn off airbag lights, a bit of a lottery as to if the patrol you get is willing to do it for you but I'm sure once you offer to slip him a gratuity he will have a go :thumbsup:

Stuart
My neighbor is an AA mechanic. He's gonna turn it off for me. But now I've been bitten by the INPA bug...Going to do a bit more research into getting the most up to date software and a cheap lappy £60 with XP on ebay.

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Buckz wrote:Where in london are you? I've got an autel 619 around used it on my mazda a while ago to reset SRS errors.

will work bmw too.
Very kind of you to offer, had a word with my neighbor (AA mechanic) and he's gonna clear it for me on Friday.

DMC63

Need diagnotic software

Post by DMC63 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Chris_D wrote:Have carly pro and has been invaluable for my e85 for diagnostics and coding.
Can reset airbag light, however hasnt worked on mine due to multiple airbag codes. Need to get a new airbag module installed before next mot/apk.
Carly great for when ur out and about and for easy as p!ss coding and diagnostics. Can also do live parameter monitoring which is great to see.
Inpa u can do a bit more with but i found it an absolute chew to get working and need a windows 32bit xp os laptop and cable.
I'm sure therell be more along soon singing the praises or deriding either or both.... :roll:
Hi Chris. I'm going down the INPA route, slowly but surely. My airbags are fine, just the fact I disconnected and reconnected them has set off the error light. I thought that disconnecting the negative from the battery would've worked, it did for one but not the other. Strange...

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by Number5 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 am

Is anyone running CARLY with an I-phone ?

I bought a £2.50 USB/Lightning adapter to link the OBD cable to the iphone but on connection it says "The device is not supported"

Has anyone else bought an adapter that allows Carly to work on either iphone or Ipad2 ?
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:48 am

Number5 wrote:Is anyone running CARLY with an I-phone ?

I bought a £2.50 USB/Lightning adapter to link the OBD cable to the iphone but on connection it says "The device is not supported"

Has anyone else bought an adapter that allows Carly to work on either iphone or Ipad2 ?
I've not heard of the hard wired connection, I thought Carly was Bluetooth or wifi & it had to be the official Carly adapter to get full functionality?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Buckz

Need diagnotic software

Post by Buckz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 am

Number5 wrote:Is anyone running CARLY with an I-phone ?

for E85/86 you need a wired OBD :)

I have carly with wired connector on android.

this is the the obd connector I have -;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Carly ... ords=carly

I believe you can use ANY wired OBD connector but don't quote me on that.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 am

DMC63 wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Have carly pro and has been invaluable for my e85 for diagnostics and coding.
Hi Chris. I'm going down the INPA route, slowly but surely. My airbags are fine, just the fact I disconnected and reconnected them has set off the error light. I thought that disconnecting the negative from the battery would've worked, it did for one but not the other. Strange...
It wouldn't trigger the airbag if the battery was disconnected and you left it 15 mins. I suspect either you, disconnected the airbag immediately, haven't or didn't reconnect the airbag correctly, or the harness got damaged.

I had similar issue a few years ago where the harness was damaged and in the end BMW supplied and fitted a new harness as it would not reset without
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Need diagnotic software

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:00 am

I'm using carly pro with the wifi obd dongle. Works with both ipad and iphone- even on my crappy old iphone4s!
I also have a smaller bluetooth dongle which works with carly, obd fusion and dashcmd.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.