Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine undertray removal help

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 pm

Doing some work on my 2003. Just managed to remove the tie rods ends after a fight but now I need to remove the undertray. Lying on my back on the cold concrete I can see the 8mm screws all around it. however the front ones are obscured by a plastic strip at the front. How do I remove this strip. Thanks in advance.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Problem solved. It just pulled out. Now new problem. Cannot remove rack bolts with metal " sump guard " in place :x

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:50 pm

any chance u can take some photos ray?
I need to get a new undertray installed as mine came without one. bit risky re. object ingress - the belts and front of engine are pretty exposed at the mo.
i can see four fixing points on mine where the tray was cut away leaving the front side fasteners and a bit of the old tray material and two clip fasteners towards the rear in front of the sump guard.

just researching whats need at the mo. will try and get a pic of mine thrown up for comparison.

What bolts are u referring to when u say 'rack bolts' ?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Image Rubber strip under radiator
There are three screws at the rear which go into the metal cover. Two each on the left and right side. The front simply inserts into a plastic flange / strip at the front. The rack bolts are the two bolts that hold the rack in place. Unfortunately the bolts are close to the metal untray. I can loosen them but cannot remove them. I am just starting to replace the rack with a hyraulic rack. Everything seems to take time !

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:44 pm

ah reet.
cant help re those bolts i'm afraid. sure someone will be along at some point tho....
i'm looking for exactly that bit in ur photo. taking more effort than anticipated tho.
keep us posted re the hydraulic rack conversion and take ur time - that's been my ethic when doing fixes. better to go slow and steady and not to rush anything!
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

EViS

Post by EViS » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 pm

Does anyone know the part number for this undertray (for a 2003 2.5i e85)? RealOEM suggests 51717012723, however online photos show a very different looking tray.