Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken Springs - List (add yourself if you've been affected)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
NickDE

Post by NickDE » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:21 am

NSR broken on my coupe, on 70000 miles. Luckily found whilst replacing springs to avoid future breakages !

Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:15 am

ronk wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:07 pm In my experience, all automotive coil (road) springs tend to break at the same point!
It's nothing unique to Bmw.
Well, I've just done a quick count up and my good lady and myself had owned over 23 cars between us in our 30 years of marriage and as I remember it we have had ONE spring breakage in that time and I drive between 20 and 30 thousand miles a year.

However I do remember in the seventies I had two springs go on an Opel Manta SR Berlinetta, before the good lady was around.

I'm afraid I think this IS an issue with the Z4 but to be fair the number of tail ends from springs you see laid around the roads these days its clear there is an issue with springs in general.

As an added note one of the Z4's I looked at before buying mine had been fitted with a set of rear springs at MOT time missed the next time but needed a new set the time after :headbang:

Cheers

Nev

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm

The front n/s spring recently snapped on my 2004 2.5 :(

Fortunately it went as I was leaving my drive so I wasn't left stranded miles from home. Just a bit gutted that it happened on a nice sunny day when I had decided to use my Z for work!

What I thought would be a relatively easy and not too expensive job to replace both front springs has escalated into me now replacing the whole of the suspension on the front of the car and I am now part way through reassembling everything.

On removing the springs, the shocks looked past their best so I have decided to change these. I managed to snap the heads off the bolts which hold the bottom of the shock onto the kingpins (despite my best efforts not to) so I have ended up buying some good second hand kingpins and swapping the brake discs and calipers over off my old ones, as I tried to drill out one of the bolts and ended up snapping a stud extractor. In removing the kingpins the ball joints looked like they had seen better days so ended up replacing the track rods and the control arms as they come as a complete unit.

It has cost a small fortune in parts although saying that I am glad that a lot of the part numbers are interchangeable with E46 BM's which at least means the parts are readily available! I have also learned a lot along the way!

I have only owned my Z4 a couple of months - as a third car it is garaged and I only use it on nice days, so at least having spent loads on my new suspension I should be able to keep it in good condition for the foreseeable! :driving:

Cb3749

Post by Cb3749 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 am

Rear n/s spring broke when I was sitting in a car park! Thought the car had been hit from the noise.
Luckily had just finished a drive back from the Lakes over Hartside. Now looking to fit Eibach's - 42K miles.
///M R sapphire black two tone at present soon to be all black, Bilstein B6 + Eibach springs OEM strut brace cruise control OEM stubby Hayward&Scott exhausts
Previous
E61 550i M sport
E39 M5 x 2
Various 3 and 5 series x 12

marcusrichphoto

Post by marcusrichphoto » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Rear nearside at around 75k, replaced both.

Joemarsh

Post by Joemarsh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am

Both tears last month at 49k on my coupe
Current: Black Z4C 3.0si sport with all the toys :driving:
Previous: 2000 Z3 2.8L roadster; 1.2L Corsa (compulsory first car!)

DaveAstro

Post by DaveAstro » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:48 pm

Just got a 3.0si Sport (2007) Coupe with 47k - both rears were replaced just before I got it.
Silver-grey Z4 3.0si sport Coupe (2007)

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Noticed a bit of noise coming from the rear of mine so need to check this, it had BMW replacement parts about 5 years ago according to the history. It isn't the trailing arm bushes or shocks making the noise as I've changed both of them, springs looked fine then but knowing my luck one of them has decided to give up now!

ZFWOAR1

Post by ZFWOAR1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Second set of rear springs now gone after 2 years and 9k miles! They were brand new and with the car not being used very much I think this is pathetic to say the least! BMW need to start using a different company to produce their springs unless they are quite happy to have them keep snapping so they can sell us more! :x

andystone

Post by andystone » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:26 pm

According to mot history my e85 had new spring around 30k miles, another around 50k and now need a new set due to corrosion!
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

felton1990

Post by felton1990 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am

*new to the forum* -- How to you know if you rear springs are broken

what is the average cost of replacement, DIY job?

andystone

Post by andystone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 pm

DIY job. Loads of videos on YouTube.
2005 e85 z4, 2.5

AC5L4T3R

Post by AC5L4T3R » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Yep! Were broken on my Z3 and my Dad's Z4 (which I've just bought from him).
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i - RHD car living in a LHD country.

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm

One Of my front ones has gone, replacing all with Suplex tomorrow.
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

davros

Post by davros » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Offside front spring snapped. When replacing with Eibachs I discovered all 4 struts were all shot, so had to replace them too.
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)