Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Passenger Air Bag Indicator Light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
brimoon

Passenger Air Bag Indicator Light

Post by brimoon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:54 pm

A couple of weeks ago the red air bag warning light came on on my dash and this resulted in having a new air bag control module installed in my 2004 Z4 3.0. Since the new module installation, the passenger airbag "Off" light on the console stays on when the car is being driven and the seat is unoccupied. If someone is seated in the passenger seat, the light quite properly goes out. Before the new module install, the "Off" light would go out after a short while if the seat was unoccupied; that's also what the manual says should happen and it's the way passenger air bag light in our 2006 530i works. Of course, the light stays on if the passenger air bag key switch is set to off.

I don't know if this is a malfunction, a programming matter or a result of a newer or different type of air bag control module. Since the Off light goes out when the seat is occupied, I'm assuming that the passenger side air bags would work in an accident and I don't have a safety issue, but I'm a bit skeptical. Does anyone have have any thoughts on or experience with this matter?

Thanks in advance. - Brian

Zeefour

Post by Zeefour » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:38 pm

make sure that the key setting has not been activated, located on the passenger side of the dashboard with the door open
03 3.0i, 03 AMG E55

brimoon

Post by brimoon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Zeefour wrote:make sure that the key setting has not been activated, located on the passenger side of the dashboard with the door open
Thank you Zeefour. I have checked the switch and it is set to On. Keep in mind that the light goes out when the passenger seat is occupied; I don't believe that would happen if the switch were set to Off.